• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combine Word 2016 files stuck at converting...

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, Acrobat DC, Word 2016 (from Office 365).

In Windows explorer user is selecting files, (some Word, some excel, some pdf), right click choose Combine files into a single PDF.

Was working until a few weeks ago.

Now it gets stuck at some Word files, status says Converting...

Appears to be random, sometimes it will do 6 or 7 Word files sometimes stops at the first one.

Close via task manager or reboot only way to free it up.

Tried check for updates in Acrobat, tried Repair of Office 2016, updated Office 2016 to latest version. No joy.

Any idea how to troubleshoot.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nigels60835294,

Sorry for the delay in response. 

If you still experiencing this issue with the latest updates installed. 

Launch Acrobat>Edit>Preference>Security(Enhanced), try whitelisting the locations where the files are located.  Protected Mode troubleshooting | Adobe Reader  . Let us know if that helps.

-Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Having the same issue with multiple users. I have 10 users all on Windows 10 - latest builds and updates using Office 365 2016 - all updated to latest versions. Every time anyone tries to convert and combine multiple office documents Acrobat Pro DC freezes.

Tried the above suggestion and it did not work.

Up to about a few weeks ago we did not have this issue.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lawrencepepper,

Have you tried contacting our Chat/call support teams for this issue already?

Are those files located on a local machine or on a network drive? Does the number of files make any difference for this process?

Would it be possible for your to share the files with us? If yes, you may use this link: How to share a document and share a link via private message: How Do I Send Private Message

Will be waiting for your response.

-Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

1: Happens whether files are local or on network share.

2: Does not matter how many files - 2 to 20+. Always freezes.

Yes will share two Word docs that freeze Acrobat when trying to convert picking multiple files.

Lawrence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI, here is what I found; we were running Office 365 (64 bit) and Adobe Acrobat X (32 bit). I uninstalled 64 bit office and installed 32 bit office, rebooted and the issue was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to send PM but it is not working.

Here is link, these files are public announcements so does not matter.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved?  We are also seeing this problem with:

• Office 365 Pro Plus 1704 (8067.2115 Click to Run)
  • Adobe Acrobat DC (2015.006.30306)
  • Windows 10 Creator's Update 1703 (150623.296)

I agree with lawrencepepper this issue happens on network drives and local, and can happen with any number of files. To clarify, combining PDFs appears to be OK, but for us, its only when we try to combine office documents before doing the combine. Whenever the conversion is in play, that's when the issue happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lawrencepepper: I check your files and I am able to combine without an issue.

I would request both of you may try installing Microsoft Office with Offline installer: Use the Office 2016 offline installer - Office Support

And try again let me know if that fixes your issue.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not resolve the issue. Only way to get around it is to force WINWORD.EXE to end task. Only then does the combine process proceed. You also have to kill WINWORD.EXE for each word document that you are trying to combine. So if it's 5 documents, you will have to kill 5 WINWORD.EXE processes one at a time.

Come on adobe, FIX THIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tariq Dar,

I see you liked my comment. Thanks for that, however I'm looking for a resolution not a like. Do you have any other suggestions? I've already tried installing from offline installer with same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have you tried to install Microsoft Office Suite using offline installer?

Have you tried to contact our support Chat/Call? Also, let us know the current version of Acrobat and Microsoft Office installed on your machine?

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think the issue is with Windows 7 but it can be with either of the programs you are working with. If your file is on the system drive or desktop and you are trying to use it to convert, Windows 7 usually tries to restrict free read and write permissions on that drive and any files present there. This may be causing the program to freeze. Try moving the file to other logical drives before converting them.

Secondly, the add-ons for Acrobat DC may be interfering with the conversion process. Try disabling them for the time being and then re-enable. If that is not possible just move the files from the folder which contain the addons temporarily.

Another option is to open all programs you use in Administrator mode. Right click -> Run as administrator. This gives the program unrestricted access to read, write or edit.

Your firewall may also be stopping or freezing the process midway by raising a false alarm in the background. Check that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have had it with multiple versions of Word 2016 and Acrobat DC.  Currently I'm on Word 2016 1705.8201.2102 and Adobe Acrobat DC 2017.009.20044.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tariq Dar​ !

Same issue here.

Acrobat Standard DC 2017.009.20044

Office 365 ver. 1701 (build 7766.2092)

Acrobat get stuck at combine files whenever it comes to a
Word-file. Like some other user suggestet it actually works to force
WINWORD.EXE to end – for evry Word-document.

Never experienced this problem before I got this
Acrobat-update.

Converting one Word-document works in a way, but also here
the prosess won’t stop/close on it’s own. The task-window isn’t closing on it’s
own. You have to manually close the window.

Can you solve this problem Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michaelb,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Have you tried contacting our tech support about this issue? If not, I would suggest contacting our tech support: Contact Customer Care click on this link and log in with your Adobe ID and password.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been fixed, I have multiple people in my company having the same problem. Adobe DC and Office 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I suddenly started having the same issue as described in this post. Someone mentioned firewall issues. Which made me have an a-ha moment, as I had recently re-installed Malwarebytes program. So I tried disabling Malwarebytes, and just like digital magic Acrobat is back to normal. So, at least for me the next step is some research in Malwarebytes to see if there is a fix or workaround.

My 2 cents worth opinion is now voiced. Aloha, and have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have been researching a solution to this issue for some time now.  Extremely painful problem and the fact that it works sometimes and then breaks without warning is maddening.

I have uncovered a solution that has been successful for me.... all thanks to Experts Exchange

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28975084/Acrobat-DC-hangs-while-converting-Word-docs-to-A...

1. Try reinstalling the PDF Maker Add in.

Go to an Office 2016 Application (Word in this case) with Run as Administrator and come up in a blank document

File -> Options -> Add-ins.  Select COM add-ins and then Go.

Select the Adobe PDF Maker COM add-in and Remove (NOT uncheck / disable)

Click Add and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2015\PDFMaker\Office and select PDFMOfficeAddin.dll

Close and restart the Office Application (In my case MS Word)

See if that allows Adobe to work properly.

** This is where I stopped, the problem was fixed for me.  Continue with the advised steps if your situation is not resolved **

2. Remove (uninstall) Adobe Acrobat, restart, reinstall and test

3. Set up a new, test Windows User Profile (Account). Log into the new Windows Account and test Adobe in the new Account

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines