• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable Form Issues

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to convert a pdf letter document into a fillable form where people can just edit words or specifics into the letter to make it custom. I created text fields just as instructed and named each area. When I go to test it, the form is flat and it won't allow me to select or edit anything yet it's shaded as if I can edit. Am I missing a step? Nothing is locked and the security is off. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019
Hello again, would it be possible for you to recreate the PDF letter in Acrobat again. Do not use the document you already have. This is just to rule out if you were missing any steps. I can't see how you are doing it, but I think that when you are finished adding all the fields and customizations instead of just clicking on the "Save" icon goto "File"---> "Save As"---> and select "Adobe PDF". Then close the document and open it again with Adobe Acrobat and see if you are able to continue to edi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you switch from forms-design mode to Preview mode? Have you exited out of Forms mode at all?

See screen caps below: If you're using a recent version of Acrobat (CC:2018 and 2019), try clicking the CLOSE button in the upper right of the  screen when you're in forms or preview mode. You'll now access the form as a user.

Prepare Form mode.Prepare Form mode.

Preview Form mode.Preview Form mode.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just signed up for the Acrobat membership today so I have the latest version. I did exit out of forms and preview mode and tried to test by opening in my browser to see if I could edit it. Again, it has the gray shaded area but won't allow me to edit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is why are you trying to test the form using a browser... which browser?? And when you say that you are creating a PDF document from a PDF letter do you mean a scanned copy of a letter, OR, a a text document that was created using Microsoft Word, AND THEN, export the document to PDF using the PDF Maker ToolBar add-on from within the MS Word application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share a screenshot of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted. I created a form letter in canva for someone who does not have acrobat and she uses chrome browser to edit her fillable pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, she is better off installing the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Even though Web browsers provide their own PDF viweing plug-ins they are not ideal to fillout forms that are created with Adobe Acrobat; web browsers PDF viewing capabilities are known for its limitations and subpar performance. Now, as far you are concened, when you create a PDF form in Acrobat you can use the follwoing saving option: "File"---> "Save As Other" ----> "Reader Extended". This will allow you to create a PDF form in Acrobat that will save it in Reader but allowing users who may even have older versions of Acrobat (or any other PDF viewer) to Fill&Sign, comment, Print and save a local copy of the form once it gets filled out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reader info. I will definitely have her download and I will save as. As for as the fillable PDF though, when I switch to preview mode I'm unable to test and edit as well. It's just a flat document. Did I miss a step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, would it be possible for you to recreate the PDF letter in Acrobat again. Do not use the document you already have. This is just to rule out if you were missing any steps. I can't see how you are doing it, but I think that when you are finished adding all the fields and customizations instead of just clicking on the "Save" icon goto "File"---> "Save As"---> and select "Adobe PDF". Then close the document and open it again with Adobe Acrobat and see if you are able to continue to edit or work with it normally. From the way you describe it it looks like it was saved as a postscript file (or flattenned) but that is just my guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This just solved my problem, thank you! I kept overlaying the text box over existing test which was causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines