• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR Version 10.3.0.933 colours are distorted

New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit v 8.1 6.3.9600.17415.  I have an nVidia Quadro K600 graphics card.  I have recently upgraded to Bridge 8.0.1.282x64 and Photoshop 19.1.3. My issue is when I view a raw file in Bridge the colours look fine but when I open it in Camera Raw the colours are horribly distorted (magentas on skin tones are revolting).  However, when I then open the image in Photoshop the colours are fine again.  I have turned graphic processor acceleration OFF in ACR preferences but this hasn't helped.  The odd thing is that if I toggle away from ACR then back to it, the colours shift back to normal (ie the same as appears in Bridge and Photoshop).  See the snip below which shows 1. the appearance the first time I open in ACR and 2. after I toggle to another program then toggle back to ACR.  Can anyone help?ACR Screen.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem with the monitor profile, and how ACR converts data to it. Just like any color managed application, ACR remaps from its source color space (linear ProPhoto) into monitor color space, using your monitor profile to do so. And this is what it sends to the video card and monitor.

IOW the source data aren't affected here, only how it's represented on screen. So it's fine when opened into Photoshop.

Are you using a dual display setup, like e.g. laptop + external monitor? It's been reported quite frequently that ACR sometimes uses the wrong profile in such a setup. It may use the profile for the main display even if the application is on the secondary.

It could still happen in a single display setup if the OS doesn't load the monitor profile correctly. Color managed applications get the monitor profile from the OS and should normally use whatever they get from the OS (apps without color management don't do any of this, they just pass the numbers straight through).

Please note, because this is often confusing people, that this has nothing to do with calibration tables that get loaded into the video card. The profile is not the same as calibration.

Anyway, I suspect this is a fairly widespread problem - but it only becomes painfully obvious if one monitor is wide gamut and the other not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a 3 monitor setup. I´ve already proofen with a fake profile (with intentionally totally wrong colors) that ACR is picking up the wrong display profile. If ACR is "living" on the primary monitor (in Windows monitor setup), it´s picking up the profile of the monitor, on which Windows is booting! In some cases this is not the monitor that you´ve set up as primary monitor in Windows.

To give an example:

I have a GTX 970, which has a Display port, 2 DVI ports and an HDMI port. It is always booting on one of the the DVI ports. You can not change this! The monitor in Windows, however, that I want to be the primary monitor (because it´s the biggest one, also has wide gamut etc.), is connected via display port. So I´ve set this up as primary monitor in Windows. I´ve also assigned the correct monitor profile in Windows´ color settings. However, ACR does not care about it. For ACR the primary monitor is the one, which the OS boots with.  So it takes the wrong monitor profile. This is a big, big bug, which makes ACR totally unusable, because colors are oversaturated on screen in my case.

This did not happen in ACR 9 and earlier versions, never happened and happens in any version of Lightroom and does not happen in Photoshop. They all pick up the right profile.

Please Adobe fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that seems to sum it up. This is exactly the problem.

Mind you, it doesn't necessarily have to be an Adobe bug, it could be the OS handing off the wrong profile under some circumstances. One obvious special circumstance is that ACR runs as a Photoshop plugin, not a standalone application. On the other hand, it does seem to affect Windows and MacOS equally.

This has been going on for a long time, including (IIRC) ACR 9.x. It's been several years since I first saw this popping up here in the forums.

One complicating factor is that it is only an obvious problem for people with wide gamut monitors, and there still aren't too many of those. With all-standard gamut units, it might not be noticeable enough for most people to make a fuss about it. Almost all the complaints I've seen here are from wide gamut users.

It would be nice to have some sort of feedback from Adobe on this. So far nothing at all. I run single display setups, but those affected should report this over on the feedback site  https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse,

I agree with everything you stated, but I do not have that problem with ACR 9 and before. I already reinstalled ACR 9 to test: no problem.

Installed ACR 10 again...problem back.

I also agree that it also might be an OS bug, but until now, Adobe knew how to handle it.

I can even proove that there is an OS bug:

In my setup, which is not that "untypical", the OS reports different monitor ID numbers in its colormanagement setup vs its actual monitor setup.

"With all-standard gamut units, it might not be noticeable enough for most people to make a fuss about it."

Absolutely right! That´s why still not enough people complain about it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Lenovo desktop and I run two monitors.  My primary is an Eizo CG247 which self calibrates and the secondary is an Eizo FlexScan S1931 which I use for tools etc.  The primary is connected to the box via DVI and the secondary is connected via an adapter DVI to Display Port.  The CG247 is set in Windows as the primary display.  I did not have this issue with the earlier versions of ACR.  I will try reverting and see what happens.  I will mention that my associate has a laptop connected correctly to an Eizo Flexscan SX2262W.  There was the same issue when the ACR update was installed but in that case, unchecking the graphics acceleration option was a successful work around.  This is not the case with me.  Having to toggle away from ACR then back again is a major pain in the neck and not acceptable for the long term.  I will report it to Adobe via the link you've provided but I will say Adobe don't make it easy to contact them directly.  Thank you both for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reporting via that other feedback website link, either starting a new discussion, or perhaps finding a similar discussion and adding your vote up top, is contacting Adobe as directly as you can.  If you find multiple matching discussions, select the one with the most votes, already, to add your vote to.

If by "contacting Adobe" you mean you want to call someone and talk to them, what would they do differently than to transcribe what you told them, most likely with errors in both understanding and language differences, into some sort of post similar to what that other forum allows you to type up, directly, so it's more accurate.

Basically what I'm saying is that the people on the other end of the phone are polite transcription "robots" and don't "know" anything about what you're talking about from personal experience with LR, and are merely searching their internal reports of issues, and perhaps typing up something, anyway, so you might as well search and possibly type things up, yourself.

It's good to have discussed it with people, here, first, so the problem is more clearly defined in your mind when you do write something over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But what's the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with the same problem so what I'm reading here is to try and revert back to ACR9 and see what happens... I am using dual monitor also.

I'm hoping reverting back to ACR 9 is a fix.

Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sutjai,

I tried reverting back but I had problems because versions of ACR are linked to versions of Bridge and Photoshop.  I may have been doing something very wrong but I found I couldn't use some of the other plugins I have installed unless the versions of all 3 products matched.  The other issue is that earlier versions of ACR won't open NEFs for the Nikon D850. I have reported my problems to the Photoshop family at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/my-problem-is-that-acr-version-10-3-0-933-col... and it has been acknowledged so hopefully a fix will arrive soon.

Good luck and let me know if you are successful with reverting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines