Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR not working (brand-new iMAC with)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can someone help...?

Every time I try to open a RAW file (CR2 files, tried multiple files they can be read fine on my book pro so aren't corrupted) I get the error "can't complete the operation due to a disk error".

The only way I can edit files is by going through Lightroom first but this is not compatible with my workflow.

I'm Running an iMAC 27 5k (2017) with 8GB RAM and 4GB GPU (High Sierra 10.13.3)

As I say it works on my MacBook Pro with the same files.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Hi thanks for replying.

Same error message.

I have spent three hours uninstalling, reinstalling etc etc and the only thing that solved the issue:

Complete uninstall of cloud and all apps. Manually show hidden files and delete the camera raw and photoshop folders in user/library/application support. Restart and reinstall everything from fresh.

Something was obviously corrupted.

Regards

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

up to date Photoshop CC and ACR apps. Tried reinstalling to earlier versions with no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raw files do open correctly in Lightroom, and can be correctly passed on to Photoshop?  That's the test for raw file integrity, not the OS photo viewer, which only shows you the embedded, camera-generated jpeg preview.

The jpeg preview can be fine even if the raw data are damaged or corrupt. Even the Lightroom Library previews can be fine, with the raw data subsequently corrupted due to a disk problem.

So first of all, open a raw file in Lightroom Develop. If that's fine, there's a problem with the ACR installation.

Also, you should know that ACR can be hosted by both Photoshop and Bridge. If you double-click in Bridge or the OS, it will be hosted by Photoshop, and Photoshop opens prior to the ACR window. If you right-click in Bridge and "Open in Camera Raw", it will be hosted by Bridge, and Photoshop does not open. Do both these show the same error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I misunderstood a bit. You say they open fine on a different machine, not in MacOS Preview on the same machine.

Still, same thing, even more so. Those are not the same instances of the files if they are on a different machine.

Try Lightroom Develop first, next ACR hosted by Bridge - then report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for replying.

Same error message.

I have spent three hours uninstalling, reinstalling etc etc and the only thing that solved the issue:

Complete uninstall of cloud and all apps. Manually show hidden files and delete the camera raw and photoshop folders in user/library/application support. Restart and reinstall everything from fresh.

Something was obviously corrupted.

Regards

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, that is in fact what I was going to suggest next. It certainly had a scent of "corrupt install". Glad it's resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines