• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 won't open CR2 files

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with Photoshop CS5 and a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS. The photos are taken off the camera with Image Capture, and put into the Pictures folder by default. A JPEG and CR2 file are imported. I cannot open the CR2 file – I have checked the plug in, and it is the 6.3 plug-in. Any ideas on what may be wrong would be appreciated. I've gone through the Adobe help files and tried the solutions listed...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to see previews of the raw images in bridge? If yes, did you try -  right click - open with camera raw? If no, try manually reinstalling the raw plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files were not able to be opened in Bridge (and, working on a Mac, I didn't know a right click was available, but thanks for making the suggestion). However, the problem has been solved another way. I had my co-worker (who is in another office and the one who was having the issue) install the software that came with the camera on her Mac, and that is how she was able to (finally!) open the files. It was brought to my attention by another graphics professional with whom I work, and he said that CR2 files vary from camera to camera which might explain why Photoshop would not open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a mac you would use comman+r or use the file menu and select open in camera raw. Also, yes, cr2 files differ from every camera, but your camera is supported http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html ... Using canon's software works well if you are working with a few photos, but ACR or lightroom is the way to go if you are going to be working with raw images on a regular basis, or if you will be processing more then a few photos at a time.

Last thing to try before you give up and reinstall cs5. open up photoshop and either go file -> open and select your raw images, or click and drag your files into photoshop. If neither way launches ACR save yourself anymore troubleshooting and reinstall CS5 (at least that is what I would do)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post one of the raw files online and provide a link?  Someone here can try to open it to ensure it's not a problem with the file itself.

There was a time that there was a Windows problem with importing a JPEG and CR2 at the same time with certain camera models, but I thought that had been solved.  Are you set to record a raw file and a JPEG both?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue as I changed my camera from 450D to 60D and was told that the plug in(CS 5) did not support. Appreciate any advice how to reinstall / update the plug in ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it or not, we installed the software that came with the

Camera. I was not the one using the camera, I am in a

different office. When we realized that the plug in would not work, we

went back to square one, and I found out that the person using the

camera did not install the software that came with it, instead she

relied solely on Photoshop to open the files. Once she installed the

software, she opened the files using the software and converted

to .tif files. She's been doing that now for over 6 months and the

pictures look great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg Tan wrote:

I just had the same issue as I changed my camera from 450D to 60D and was told that the plug in(CS 5) did not support. Appreciate any advice how to reinstall / update the plug in ?

Note, you've added a message to a thread whose last post Dec 2010...

The way to update Camera Raw is to go to the Camera Raw Product Page or to simply Check for Updates in Photoshop CS5. Where to look for the update command differs based on your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Schewe wrote:

...simply Check for Updates in Photoshop CS5...

Photoshop has not announced to you that updates are available?

What happens when you choose Help - Updates... from the Photoshop menu?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the advices.....yes I should have checked the updates......my previous plug in was v 6.0....and had been replaced with v 6.5...it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines