• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW update freezes when opening smart object

Participant ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating Camera RAW CC, when I open the smart object to update camera raw filter, Photoshop freezes presenting the "Preparing Smart Object" dialog.

Steps:

1. From Adobe bridge, open RAW (cr2) file to edit in Camera RAW
  2. Within Camera RAW, adjust settings
  3. From Camera RAW, open in Photoshop
  4. Now, photo is a smart object in Photoshop
  5. Double-click the smart object in Photoshop to return to Camera RAW filter to update settings.
  6. Camera RAW opens, but is Photoshop and Camera RAW are frozen, with the "Preparing Smart Object" dialog

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 3.27.56 PM.png

This dialog appears to update, but here at 10-minutes later, has been sitting at 100%

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 3.37.23 PM.png

This process usually takes less than 2-seconds on my Macbook.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch retina, 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB, OS X El Capitan (10.1.6)

Photoshop 2017.1.1 (20170425.r.252 x64)

Camera Raw 9.12.0.784

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck with this?

I have a similar problem.  I am using a 2017 iMac  Radeon Pro 570

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 11.16.30 AM.png

The behavior is such:

1. open dng RAW image. -PS and Camera Raw open

2. Shift-Open Object to open in PS as a Smart Object - Works as expected

3. Rt-click and edit contents of the smart object layer - Returns to Adobe Camera RAW - works as expected

4. At some point, either working in ACR, or if I click OK to exit ACR, there is a message "Preparing Smart Object" that simply hangs.  Although in my case, it hangs near the beginning of the loading bar. 

Sometimes, I can click the "OK" button on CR to get out, but sometimes I cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's be awesome if someone had a fix for this! I've been experiencing this and can't edit photos because it keeps getting hung up. #%^$Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 1.06.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unchecking the "use graphic card" (or similar, sorry sitting on Swedish PS) in: PS prefs / file handling /  camera raw preferences solved the problem for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at least for a couple of days... Now I'm back where we started. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fixed it for me was opening a different file that contained smart objects, opening the smart object, and it didn't freeze. Go back to the file that I was having trouble with and it was working.

I have processed two files since then up to last night. I tried to start another just now.. and it's freezing again.

@#$#%%^!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you already found a solution to your issue, but I found a pretty simple solution that worked for me. Just to clarify, I started with a smart object in Photoshop, and double clicked the smart object icon in the layers panel. The object would open up in camera raw, but then as I tried to switch to a different tab(in my case, I had to switch to the grayscale tab), and when I did that, it would freeze and experience the same issue that you described.

The solution for me was to click the before/after view button, located at the bottom right section of the screen, and then, "Viola!", I was able to switch to grayscale and perform my adjustments without the loading issue.

I hope this helps. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the solutions described here work for me. This is still an issue on April 4th, 2019, with Camera Raw 11.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I have to force quit each time to get out. The odd thing is that the "Preparing Smart Object" dialogue comes up as I'm editing in RAW. Hope Adobe can get an update for this one soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still seems to be a problem in 2022! This has been going on for about 5 years now. How is this possible? Anyone have a workaround for this besides force quitting everytime? Because Adobe doesn't seem to get there bugs fixed.

Running Photoshop 23.1.0 at the moment with Camera Raw 14.1.0.993 on an iMac 5K 27" 2019 with newest OS. Have this problem for at least 5 years now with just about every Photoshop version on multiple iMacs on several OS versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. 2022 running Photoshop 23. Use camera raw on a regular layer...no problem. Try it with a smart object? Big fat nope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been experiencing this problem for 3 years to say the least. Still can't fix it on any of my devices (Using an iMac & a Macbook). No update of the Camera Raw app has ever fixed this problem and this is sad realizing that people have been having this issue since 2017 (based on the articles date). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 years later, and it's still not fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly not, I still have the same issue with the latest version but I must say it occurs less regular. I highly doubt they will ever adress the issue since not enough users have this issue on a regular basis. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still happens to me with the latest photoshop and camera versions and it happens several times a week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HEREBY PROTEST ADOBE

My entire workflow has been based on opening RAW images as smart objects for years, which allows me to return to ACR for fine-tuning the tones, apply non-distructive warps and other settings as I work on my images. I find it utterly unacceptable that Adobe has not EVEN ADDRESSED the issue in any of the forums beyond telling us to take two PREF RESETS before bed and call them in the morning....Only to be told to check your this, check your that, bla bla bla!!!! Tried them all.. I even tried to clean install Creative Suite onto a clean install OS. 

There was a time until 2 years ago that this happened maybe ONE out of a HUNDRED times (if ever) of double clicking on a smart layer to open in Camera Raw. Now it's like a nervewrecking ONE in FIVE!!! Everytime I decide to do it, it's like playing Russian Roulette. If I don't save everything properly before I dare to do it, BOOM, and I am dead. Rinse, wash , repeat.

The problem has been going on for years, and it is certainly not the people's hardware or their settings at this point. This is more like monopolistic corporate behavior of ignoring their clients on Adobe's part. 

THIS IS NOT COOL, ADOBE! AND certainly not acceptable for an app you charge monthly, and one that people depend on for their livelihood. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround:

I do not consider this a real solution if you work with more than a handful of images a day, but here it goes for what it's worth:

Problem disappears when I copy my file onto the iMac's

internal drive and open and work off that local copy...

OR when I work of an external USB-C SD (mine is 4TB) hard drive.

Good luck with everything else (RAID, LAN, file server, wi-fi, cloud, external non-SD drives).

I am not technical enough to explain with proper terminology, but it seems like the speed with which PS reads the smart object data from had drive might be an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think it has something to do with lightroom. When lightroom is open the stuck happens more often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines