Camera RAW update freezes when opening smart object

After updating Camera RAW CC, when I open the smart object to update camera raw filter, Photoshop freezes presenting the "Preparing Smart Object" dialog.

Steps:

1. From Adobe bridge, open RAW (cr2) file to edit in Camera RAW
  2. Within Camera RAW, adjust settings
  3. From Camera RAW, open in Photoshop
  4. Now, photo is a smart object in Photoshop
  5. Double-click the smart object in Photoshop to return to Camera RAW filter to update settings.
  6. Camera RAW opens, but is Photoshop and Camera RAW are frozen, with the "Preparing Smart Object" dialog

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 3.27.56 PM.png

This dialog appears to update, but here at 10-minutes later, has been sitting at 100%

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 3.37.23 PM.png

This process usually takes less than 2-seconds on my Macbook.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch retina, 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB, OS X El Capitan (10.1.6)

Photoshop 2017.1.1 (20170425.r.252 x64)

Camera Raw 9.12.0.784

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Camera RAW update freezes when opening smart object

After updating Camera RAW CC, when I open the smart object to update camera raw filter, Photoshop freezes presenting the "Preparing Smart Object" dialog.

Steps:

1. From Adobe bridge, open RAW (cr2) file to edit in Camera RAW
  2. Within Camera RAW, adjust settings
  3. From Camera RAW, open in Photoshop
  4. Now, photo is a smart object in Photoshop
  5. Double-click the smart object in Photoshop to return to Camera RAW filter to update settings.
  6. Camera RAW opens, but is Photoshop and Camera RAW are frozen, with the "Preparing Smart Object" dialog

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 3.27.56 PM.png

This dialog appears to update, but here at 10-minutes later, has been sitting at 100%

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 3.37.23 PM.png

This process usually takes less than 2-seconds on my Macbook.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch retina, 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB, OS X El Capitan (10.1.6)

Photoshop 2017.1.1 (20170425.r.252 x64)

Camera Raw 9.12.0.784

View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
8 Replies

Re: Camera RAW update freezes when opening smart object

Any luck with this?

I have a similar problem.  I am using a 2017 iMac  Radeon Pro 570

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 11.16.30 AM.png

The behavior is such:

1. open dng RAW image. -PS and Camera Raw open

2. Shift-Open Object to open in PS as a Smart Object - Works as expected

3. Rt-click and edit contents of the smart object layer - Returns to Adobe Camera RAW - works as expected

4. At some point, either working in ACR, or if I click OK to exit ACR, there is a message "Preparing Smart Object" that simply hangs.  Although in my case, it hangs near the beginning of the loading bar. 

Sometimes, I can click the "OK" button on CR to get out, but sometimes I cannot.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

It's be awesome if someone had a fix for this! I've been experiencing this and can't edit photos because it keeps getting hung up. #%^$Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 1.06.30 PM.png

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

unchecking the "use graphic card" (or similar, sorry sitting on Swedish PS) in: PS prefs / file handling /  camera raw preferences solved the problem for me

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

at least for a couple of days... Now I'm back where we started. Strange.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

What fixed it for me was opening a different file that contained smart objects, opening the smart object, and it didn't freeze. Go back to the file that I was having trouble with and it was working.

I have processed two files since then up to last night. I tried to start another just now.. and it's freezing again.

@#$#%%^!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I don't know if you already found a solution to your issue, but I found a pretty simple solution that worked for me. Just to clarify, I started with a smart object in Photoshop, and double clicked the smart object icon in the layers panel. The object would open up in camera raw, but then as I tried to switch to a different tab(in my case, I had to switch to the grayscale tab), and when I did that, it would freeze and experience the same issue that you described.

The solution for me was to click the before/after view button, located at the bottom right section of the screen, and then, "Viola!", I was able to switch to grayscale and perform my adjustments without the loading issue.

I hope this helps. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

None of the solutions described here work for me. This is still an issue on April 4th, 2019, with Camera Raw 11.2.1.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Same issue here. I have to force quit each time to get out. The odd thing is that the "Preparing Smart Object" dialogue comes up as I'm editing in RAW. Hope Adobe can get an update for this one soon.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines