Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw Profiles for Canon

Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My post is to show that i think there is something wrong with the profiles created by Adobe for some camera (5DS / 5DSR / 5DMarkIV), and i will try to explain why here. It's a serious post, and not a whining post etc.

I do a lot of retouching for many camera , and i'm stuck with the raw for 5DS/5DSR/5DMarkIV and not with some others (5DMark II/5DMarkIII/6D for example). No problem with Nikon/Sony at the moment.

My problem is about tonal response curve included in the dcp profiles. The dcp profiles for 5DS / 5DSR / 5DMark IV are made with an "adobe98-look" tone curve. Resulting in crushed blacks, and to much contrast.

Just to prevent some answers : it's not a calibration problem. I'm fine with all RAW for many camera, except 5DS / 5DSR / 5DMark IV, and i tested on many computers, mac and windows. And with different calibrated monitors etc.

How to see the problem :

5DMarkIII :

When I open the raw in DPP (canon), the raw have a srgb look (srgb / srgb).

When I switch to adobe98 (srgb / adobe RGB), the tonal look is "crushed" in black and contrasty.

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in srgb, like in DPP. It's fine so

6D :

When I switch to adobe98 (srgb / adobe RGB), the tonal look is "crushed" in black and contrasty.

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in srgb, like in DPP. It's fine so

5DS / 5DSR :

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in adobeRGB, NOT like in DPP. It's NOT fine so

5D Mark IV :

When I open this raw in Camera Raw with the "Camera Standard", the tonal look seems to be in >> adobeRGB <<, NOT like in DPP. It's NOT fine so

To summarize :

For some canon camera, you have edited your dcp profile to match dpp very well (6D / 5D Mark II / 5D Mark III), but for 5DS / 5DSR / 5DMark IV, the match isn't fine, because it is matching an "adobe98" tonal curve, and not a "srgb" tonal curve.

Is it possible that Adobe, makes "srgb look" dcp profile and not "adobe98 look" dcp profile ?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Hi benjaminvingrief,

Have you tried updating to Camera Raw 9.9?

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi benjaminvingrief,

Have you tried updating to Camera Raw 9.9?

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Image.jpg

Have done some test all the night :
Fresh Yosemite and Maverick install : same thing.
Fresh Sierra install : same thing.

As you can see on this picture, black are completely crushed.. And there is a lot of red in the blacks. On the finger : over saturated reds etc... Near the border of the hair, saturated reds etc.

My photoshop and OS are just clean installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines