Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw cannot open its own DNG file

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've updated on Windows to the latest and greatest Camera Raw version 10.2.1.895 (the one that fixes Photoshop version error).  The problem I describe here happened to me with the 10.2 version and also with this updated version.

When I open a .jpg file from Bridge on Camera Raw and I convert that file to a DNG file, Camera Raw, Bridge, nor Photoshop can open the generated DNG file. I get no image preview on Bridge, and camera raw gives me an error like this:

2018-02-16_9-26-59.png

In this case, the DNG file is an export of the JPG immediately to its right.

I've tried this with several JPG files, both old and new, and the behavior is 100% consistent.

EDIT: These are the options I'm using to save the file as DNG from Camera Raw (should be pretty harmless...):

2018-02-16_9-40-33.png

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Hello,

This looks like an issue we also discovered internally and will have a fix for in a future release. One thing you can try for JPEGs is to set the DNG output to Linear under Compatibility> Custom... to work around it until it is officially fixed for all JPEG->DNG options in the Camera Raw plugin.

You are correct that the DNG converter application does not support converting non-raw images, and likely will not anytime soon.

Hope that helps and thanks for your patience.

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I must ask why are you converting a JPG image to DNG. You aren't gaining anything by doing that.

I know this doesn't answer your question or solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started doing that so that I'd have consistent file formats. I have "real" cameras that I convert from Nikon's NEF to DNG and having that single format frees my mind from worrying about where the picture was taken originally. This bothers me entirely too much, I know.  It's my OCD in action.

I've not yet had time to see if converting NEF files also produces invalid DNGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the stand alone DNG converter for all of this. You can download older versions of the DNG converter so your not using the same version as used in PS/Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. I quickly tried converting a NEF file to DNG in CameraRaw, and that worked well, so the problem seems to be related to converting JPGs to DNGs (not sure if it would affect other source formats besides JPGs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the DNG Converter suggestion, finally had a chance to try it, but alas, JPG are not a supported source data format.  Lol, JPG gets no love from Adobe 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing an Export from LR to DNG makes a images that shows both in LR and in Bridge.

So it must have something to do with the new CD version to fix the other bug. LR is still using 10.2 and not the 10.2.1 CR version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This looks like an issue we also discovered internally and will have a fix for in a future release. One thing you can try for JPEGs is to set the DNG output to Linear under Compatibility> Custom... to work around it until it is officially fixed for all JPEG->DNG options in the Camera Raw plugin.

You are correct that the DNG converter application does not support converting non-raw images, and likely will not anytime soon.

Hope that helps and thanks for your patience.

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I just encountered the same effect when processing a TIFF (Camera Raw plug-in version 10.2.0.894).

Changing the output option to Linear, as described, did fix the issue.

Please try to get it fixed as quick as possible; thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was fixed in ACR 10.2.1. Please update your plug-in. Thanks! -Adriana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is ACR 10.2.1 distributed via CC application?

I just did a general update, and my version is still 10.2.0.894.

Could it be that 10.2.1 is for Windows only? I am running on MacOS, and have therefore the Mac versions.

Thanks.

Max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Adriana.

However, for Mac, it still indicates version 10.2, and no reference to that bugfix. The reference to that bugfix is ONLY in connection with the Windows version (which is 10.2.1).

And to feed back: this bug occurs on Mac as well.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sending me your tiff file. You can post it in dropbox and send me the link, please. aohlmeye@adobe.com. Have you reproduce it with a clean jpeg (not touched by ACR)? How did you generate the tiff file? Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adriana,

This is still broken as of now (31-Mar-2018). Any idea when the JPEG to DNG conversion fix will go out in an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriel,

This should be fixed in the new DNG Converter 10.3, released today.  Please try it and let us know.

Windows and Mac links below:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 10.3

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 10.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  It is indeed fixed with the latest update set!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, thanks for confirming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines