Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw won't use Monitor Profile after starting

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

just installed Photoshop CC2018 on Windows 7 64bit. I have used Photoshop CS6 until now. When using Camera Raw from Bridge CC2018 or Photoshop CC2018 it seems that Camera Raw is not using the Monitor Profile to display the Photo. As I am working with a Wide Gamut Monitor this leads to highly oversaturated colours on the display (2nd monitor). Viewing the same picture in Bridge CC2018 or opening the picture from Camera Raw into Photoshop CC2018 shows the colours consistent with the results form Bridge/Photoshop CS6.

I have found that by simply removing the focus from Camera Raw (i.e. by activating the window of a different program or by simply clicking on the desktop) and setting the focus to Camera Raw again (by clicking in the Camera Raw window) the profile is applied an colours are now consitent with Bridge/Photoshop.

While I can use this as a short term workaround I like to know how to solve the problem constantly because without the above mentioned procedure any adjustments in Camera Raw would be made based on the visual result showing the wrong colours.

Below screenshots from a picture (jpegs with monitor profile applied)

1. Bridge CS6

Bridge CS6.jpg

2. Camera Raw CS6

Camera Raw CS6.jpg

3. Bridge CC2018

Bridge CC.jpg

4. Camera Raw CC2018 after initial opening

Camera Raw CC2018 - First Open.jpg

5. Camera Raw CC2018 after loosing an getting focus

Camera Raw CC2018 - .jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unchecking the GPU support in the Bridge preferences. That has corrected this problem for some users. If that doesn't work for you, you can always  enable that option again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you are talking about Camera Raw preferences because I have no options for GPU support in Bridge preferences? There is one checkbox in Bridge preferences / extended: "Use software rendering (for preview and presentation)" (rough translation from localized UI). Switching off or on makes no difference.

Due to other problems I have already switched off GPU acceleration in Camera Raw preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did mean the Camera Raw preferences, but they are accessible in Bridge:

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the setting I know, I have tried both, On and Off. It makes no difference (except switching it On in Windows 7 makes Bridge unresponsible when closing Camera Raw). I have noticed that Windows 7 seems not to be supported for CC 20178, so I have made a fresh installation of Windows 10 on the same system and installed a test version of CC 2018. I see exactly the same behaviour in Windows 10 (but graphics acceleration works).

One thing I've got wrong in the original post was that my Wide Gamut Monitor is the second monitor (I have seen some opinions that this can be a problem). When installing Windows 10 I have noticed that it's was the first monitor all the time (for better setup of a pen tablet).  I have only put the taskbar to the second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a fresh install on a completely new installation of Windows 10. Same problem.

Below a side by side screenshot of Camera Raw CC 2018 and Photoshop CC 2018

CameraRaw_Photoshop.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My explanation in the last answer was still not completely correct. The Wide Gamut monitor is the Windows main monitor (checked in Windows display properties) but it is still the second monitor by the windows numbering (as I can see when using "Identify monitors"). I use two graphics adapters (same brand, same model) and it seems that the numbers are determinded by the connection to the pci bus.

If I swap the monitor cables the problem with Camera Raw is gone but I'll get a bunch of problems with other software (profiling software etc.)

I still believe it's a bug in camera raw for two reasons:

- wrong colours are only in Camera Raw CC 2018 and not in Photoshop CC 2018 and Bridge CC 2018 on the same monitor

- the problem was not seen in Camera Raw CS6 - seems it's an regression sometimes introduced to CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a bug which has been around for quite some time. ACR is sometimes (not always!) using the wrong monitor profile in a dual display setup - it's using the profile for the primary monitor even when the application is on the secondary monitor. Obviously, this shouldn't happen.

It has been reported here and in the PS forum countless times. Still no official word from Adobe. Maybe this issue belongs in the feedback forum for bug reports and feature requests: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

I can't report anything, since I have single monitor setups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was already afraid of an answer like yours.

Thank you for the link to the Photoshop Family forum, I will post it there as a bug report.

Just my personal point of view:

I was really reluctant to switch to the licensing model of CC. I've done it because I don't want to profile all new gear myself.

What I now get are fancy new AI features that I don't need 'cause I want to control what is done to my pictures. And on the other hand it lacks what should be a core competence of Adobe: reliable rendering of colours in any case (and I don't think a dual monitor setup is a rare use case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines