• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I extract image from a DNG?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I make DNG in Adobe DNG converter, besides the DNG File i have small JPG Thumbnail image size 192x256px.

Can I extract the same full size image preview straight from a DNG File?

Thanks, Karl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

I have never done it. I seldom use DNG. However, I searched the web and found this article that might be of some assistance. Don't know if it will steer you in the right direction or not.

How to extract the full size Jpeg preview from a DNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never done it. I seldom use DNG. However, I searched the web and found this article that might be of some assistance. Don't know if it will steer you in the right direction or not.

How to extract the full size Jpeg preview from a DNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes, It contains command line to a program exiftool. Good point is Large JPG Preview is also available. Bad point is I already tried medium JPG And It is probably very compressed, so I would rather find a Way to get the same look from a DNG to get a Tiff file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what are you trying to achieve?

The normal way to get a jpg from a DNG is to open the file in Lightroom or Camera Raw, and then export as jpg. (or Tiff)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference between having software to extract an embedded preview that some other software already put into the DNG and using software to create a new image from the DNG data using software.  Which are you trying to do?

If you extract the embedded preview JPG it is a JPG that was put there by either the DNG Converter using Adobe default settings, or it was put there by whatever software last updated the preview of the DNG.  How much it is compressed depends on the settings of the software that created the preview and embedded it into the DNG.  Since you are extracting already-produced JPG data it won't help to make a TIFF out of it because the compression artifacts are already there.

Perhaps you have no licensed Adobe software installed and are looking for a way to get an image from your raw files for free, and converting to DNG seems like a good way to do it, and now you're just trying to optimize that image to have the least compression possible?  If you are using the DNG Converter, then make sure the option for preview sizes is set to Full instead of Medium or None:

In any case, you can use EXIFTool to *extract* the embedded (not create a new) JPG Preview from a DNG into a JPG of the same base filename, then copy the EXIF metadata from the DNG to the JPG, because the extracted JPG will have no metadata.  Here are the three lines of a batch file that I use to do it.

extractPreviewJpg.bat:

exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w .jpg *.DNG

exiftool -tagsfromfile %%f.DNG -makernotes -make -model -all *.jpg

pause

It assumes that exiftool.exe is in the same folder and has been renamed from the default name of exiftool(-k).exe

--

If you are trying to create a new image from the DNG raw files and don't want to pay Adobe, then there are probably several free raw processing software packages that will do it, but you'd probably be better off starting with the original raw files if you're trying to use non-Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem Is Adobe software produces different Images, than thoose from previews of Adobe Dng converter. Camera Is quite Old, Maybe I need an older version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any camera settings that you use (like Picture styles, Active D-lighting etc.) are only applied to the jpg preview. Lightroom doesn't understand these proprietary settings and ignores them.

It's possible that the DNG previews includes the camera settings (although I don't know).

In any case, you can edit the photos to your liking in Lightroom, and there is no need to use an older version.

If you have a specific editing problem, post screenshots of the DNG preview and the image after import in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the DNGs were produced by your camera or by non-Adobe software then the embedded preview is from that camera or software.

If the DNGs were produced by the DNG Converter, it is Adobe software, and should produce a preview that is consistent with whatever Adobe settings are stored in the DNGs, although sometimes there is a bug where it uses the user-customized default settings or Adobe factory default settings, but the DNG Converter is using some sort of Adobe settings not anything to do with camera settings.

About the only other thing I can think of that might be different is the color-space of the output file.  You might be doing something in the other Adobe software that produces a JPG with Adobe RGB and that doesn't match sRGB or vice-versa.

If there is no embedded preview or if you are using different command-line options that I showed, above, then you may be getting a open-source dcraw converted version of a JPG that is actually rendered by ExifTool, rather than merely extracting a preview that's already been embedded.

Without more specifics and perhaps example images produced by both the DNG Converter/extract and LR it's hard to know exactly what might be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<Idea> Yes, DNG File did not contain the Camera RAW adjustments. I just upgraded DNG's to a Camera RAW 7.1 and It match the preview. Voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines