• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open CR2 files in photoshop and camera raw

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This weekend I rented a Canon 5D Mark iii. I have downloaded the files and all of the thumbnails in camera raw say CR2 and when I try to open Photoshop does not recognize this product.

I have:

Photoshop CS4

Camera Raw CS4

Canon 5D Mark ii

I have checked my updates folder and all my updates are current. Do I need to upgrade to CS5 or is there a way around this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Thx for your attention and help.

I've turned my laptop inside out and checked all the updates, but that was not the problem and/or solution.

The problem was Canon Utility 2; I've deinstalled that program and now it al works as it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient  (11 years) thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know all that.

I have been using a canon 70D for a year with no problems opening CR2 files in older versions of Bridge and Photoshop. Now I got a Macbook pro and wanted the new CC installed on here and nothing works.  Now I signed up for your plan, its NOT working. In creative cloud it says update and then I try to update, it can't.

Then I restart creative cloud and there's no update. Its just not working

How come Lightroom can open them and Bridge and Photoshop can't ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom shares the same image processing technology as Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) but they are separate applications. ACR is a plugin for Bridge and Photoshop, so it sounds like you might have an older version of ACR installed and just need to update it. The Canon 70D was first supported in ACR 8.2 so you will at least need that version to read the 70D .CR2 files from the camera in Bridge or Photoshop.

If updating is not working with your copy of the CC desktop application, I don't personally have any useful suggestions for resolving the update process; I am a member of the ACR team, not the CC installer team. However, you can download a standalone installer for ACR that might get your copy up to date. As long as you have Photoshop/Bridge CS6 or later, the installer can be downloaded from the following location.

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

Hopefully this will get you back in business. Apologies for the frustration you've been experiencing.

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've a problem which seems like your problem: I use a Canon EOS 5D MII, a pc with windows 7 and the latest version of Adobe CC.

I also use a laptop with Windows 10 and the same latest version of Adobe CC.

In my pc: no problems.

In my laptop: it does not recognise the CR2 files: not the Windows searcher and not in Camera RAW or Lightroom. MOV files made with this camera a handeled okee, but I can't see my photo's.

What could be the issue here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please verify what versions of Photoshop, Lightroom and PS/Camera-Raw you have on the Windows 10 laptop:

PS / Help / About Photoshop.

LR / Help / About LR or LR / Help / System Information

PS / Help / About Plug-in / Camera Raw

What specific error message do you get in PS/ACR and LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the most recent updates from Br, Ps and Lr...just updated at 26th june 2016.

I don't get an error, but Br can only see my MOV files on the CF card and not the CR2 files.

Windows can also see my MOV files and sees that there are other files on the CF card, but doesn't recognise the files....it shows white icons with a blue stripe and can't tell me what kind of files they are. So I can't open these files on the laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for specific version numbers of the software you're actually running when it is running, not when you think you updated the software in case something isn't as you think it is.

Can you supply an example CR2 file that doesn't work.   Upload to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link, here?

When you say "can only see my MOV" or "doesn't recognize" do you mean you can't see an image in the thumbnail or Bridge after the photos are moved to your hard-drive or is this an issue with the Bridge/LR photo downloader function, specifically?  Maybe show us a screenshot of what you see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2016 Jul 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2016 Jul 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is wrong with how the camera is showing you the contents of the camera memory card.

Try to use a card reader instead of connecting the camera to the computer via USB.

For reference, here are a couple of your screenshots showing the issue you're having with the 100EOS5D folder contents:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for your attention and help.

I've turned my laptop inside out and checked all the updates, but that was not the problem and/or solution.

The problem was Canon Utility 2; I've deinstalled that program and now it al works as it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2016 Jul 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work but perhaps I did not un install correctly as I merely put it in trash as suggested when googling how to un install it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall via Programs>remove or deinstall software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2016 Jul 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for th info on the Canon Utility but how do you un install it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had a problem like this with Lightroom 5.7. With a Canon 350D, which is 2008 vintage. I could see the thumbnails but couldn't import them. An error message came up in Lightroom to say the CR2 file format wasn't supported. It was odd because the in the previous days I'd had no problem. I had imported images images from the 350D CF card to the same computer using Lightroom 5.7. The issue turned out to be the card reader I was using. I had misplaced my normal card reader and tried to use an old one I had stored. I reached this forum and found others with a similar problem. I am using the Q Pix digital all in one card reader/ writer III which works. I posted this in case in some instances of CR2s not being read it might be worth checking your card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Extended 5, upgraded from CS4 and a Canon 5D Mark III.  Can't open files.  What download do I need to use to get these images recognizable in Camera RAW?

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into the same problem.  Lightroom won't recognize my RAW files from my Canon 5D MIII.  Made all the updates needed, and it still won't work.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Lightroom and operating system are you using?

There is a Lightroom forum

(you posted in the camera raw forum)

Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines