• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open ORF files in DNG Converter 9.8?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ORF files created by an Olympus OM-D E10 Mk II, which is on the list of supported cameras as of 9.2. I'm trying to open them with DNG Converter 9.8, but they all show as disabled. Ideally I'd like to use the plugin to open them direclty in Photoshop, but all I have is Elements 11 and the plugin installer says "cannot install on your operating system" (I'm running macOS 10.12.3), which I assume is a crappy error message for "not supported by your Photoshop version". Can anyone suggest a way that I can open these files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

I'm suspecting you are making a common mistake when using the DNG converter.  When choosing a location for raw files, you choose the folder in the DNG converter browser, but don't open the folder. If you open the folder you will get the message that there are no files to convert. But if you choose the folder then you can choose a destination for the DNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG converter is NOT a plug-in. It is a separate, standalone program that you use to create DNG copies of your raw files. Then you use, in your case, Photoshop Elements and Camera Raw (which IS a plug-in) to open those raw files. I'm not a Mac user, so I'm not sure if your Mac OS is current enough to run DNG converter 9.8. But I'm shooting from the hip with that comment because I'm not at all aware of Mac OS and Adobe program compatibility.

You install the DNG converter on your computer. You use the DNG converter to convert folders of raw images to the DNG format. Then you can use Photoshop Elements/Camera Raw to work on those DNG files..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, thank you. DNG Converter is properly installed and running, and won't recognize the files. The Photoshop issue turns out to be an old version - I need PSE 15 to open them, which I've bought. I'd still like to know why DNG Converter doesn't like them, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suspecting you are making a common mistake when using the DNG converter.  When choosing a location for raw files, you choose the folder in the DNG converter browser, but don't open the folder. If you open the folder you will get the message that there are no files to convert. But if you choose the folder then you can choose a destination for the DNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you're exactly right. Wow, that's a...not very good UI. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines