Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannon Eos 5D Mark ii with Photoshop CS3

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Everyone and Thanks in advance for your help,

Unable to open the images with CS3 with 5D Mark II camera,  I installed Camera Raw 5.3, 5.2. 4.6 in an effort to get to read the 5D Mark II format, but CS3 doesn't seem to support, I ran across somewhere about converting to DNG and something of that sort, Has anybody done anything like this before.

We would like to stay with CS3, and still be able to use our new camera. Again thanks a lot for your help.

Best Regards

PG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

You indicated that you have tried three different versions of camera raw.  The only version you want is ACR 4.6.  The 5.x are of no value whatsoever to you.  They are only compatible with Photoshop CS4.  You need to remove them from your system.  Then, you need to make sure that ACR 4.6 is properly installed.  It has to go in the exact folder specified in the instructions, and it cannot be anywhere else.  That is the only thing I can think of for you to look at.

In reading your question again, I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last version of Camera Raw that will work with Photoshop CS3 is ACR 4.6.  If your camera is not supported in that version then you need to download the latest version of the DNG converter.  This program is free, and is an independent freestanding program.  It will create DNG (Digital Negative) copies of your raw images.  These images will contain all of the original raw data, and you can do anything to those DNG files that you can do to any raw file.  And you can expect identical results.  All of the metadata will be stored in the header section of the DNG file; there will not be any XMP sidecar files.

You are going to want to download the camera profiles and install them.  There is an installation package for those profiles included with the download package for ACR 5.2.  You cannot use the ACR plug-in, but ACR 4.6 will utilize the camera profiles.

If you decide to use the DNG converter, you want the latest version.  It creates DNG files that are compatible with all versions of Camera Raw since version 2.4.  If this workflow is not acceptable, then it will be necessary for you to upgrade Photoshop CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks for suggesting me to get the DNG converter, I have installed and the same, and able to convert CR2 files to DNG, but photoshop doesn't seem to open, is there something else I should be doing  ?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicated that you have tried three different versions of camera raw.  The only version you want is ACR 4.6.  The 5.x are of no value whatsoever to you.  They are only compatible with Photoshop CS4.  You need to remove them from your system.  Then, you need to make sure that ACR 4.6 is properly installed.  It has to go in the exact folder specified in the instructions, and it cannot be anywhere else.  That is the only thing I can think of for you to look at.

In reading your question again, I need clarification.  Are you expecting Photoshop to open automatically when the DNG converter finishes?  That isn't going to happen.  You need to open Bridge and navigate to the folder where the DNG files were created.  The thumbnails should appear, and you should be able to work with those DNG files just like any other raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2009 May 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new 5D also, I tried doing the conversion & it would not complete the task.  I don't know if it's the program or the files that are the problem.  I shot raw & other raw files have downloaded ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2009 May 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4cbjg wrote:

I have the new 5D also, I tried doing the conversion & it would not complete the task.  I don't know if it's the program or the files that are the problem.  I shot raw & other raw files have downloaded ok.

What OS are you using?
What version of Photoshop?
What version of ACR?

What version of the DNG converter are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4cbg,

Your post is totally blank, as are most posts attempted through email to these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4cbjg,

Again another blank post.  Trying to post through email is futile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4cbg,

Your messages are not coming through.  So I will try to give you a generic answer that might help you.  Assuming you are working on Photoshop CS3.  First of all, make sure you have correctly installed ACR 3.7.  If your camera is not supported in that version than you need to download the latest version of the DNG converter.  Yes, the latest version.  It is not necessary to match the DNG converter version number with your ACR version.  The DNG converter will create the DNG files that are compatible with all versions of ACR, cleared back to version 2.4.  If you have the latest version of the DNG converter, and you still cannot create DNG files, then your camera is not yet supported and you will have to wait for another update.  I hope this give you some idea is to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess wrote:

4cbg,

…Assuming you are working on Photoshop CS3.  First of all, make sure you have correctly installed ACR 3.7.

Nope.  Jim surely meant to say ACR 4.6, not 3.7.  The acr 3.x series works with CS2, not with CS3.   For CS3, you definitely want ACR 4.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies.  For some reason I was thinking Photoshop CS2.  It must be one of those legendary senior moments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use dng converter or upgrade to CS4 is indeed an answer - but not really an acceptable one if you ask me. As someone who invested a lot of money on buying CS4 I'm totally annoyed with the fact that so SOON Adobe is not supporting one little bit of update - the new 5d Mark II.

I guess this is how they make their money. Now I am forced to buy either an upgrade to CS4 (which I can't afford, just for this one issue), use DNG converter (which is indeed a workflow I cannot accept) or buy PS4 upgrade (not sure if I can even do that, as a CS3 owner). Unfortunately my experience with Adobe's product support after upgrading has been dire to say the least - so I"m looking into an alternative. This is how Adobe looses clients - and I know a lot of people who think the same.

a-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anne, unfortunately the timing of the 5D II's release (and many of the

cameras that came out in Photokina 2008) was such that it came out soon

after development on CS3 had ended. BTW, I'm assuming in your post that it

was a typo on your part (e.g., I think you meant to say "invested a lot of

money on buying CS3" instead of "CS4").

That said, as you've pointed out, you really do have a couple of choices

with regards to an Adobe-based workflow, one of which costs nothing but

takes more time (convert to DNG) and another which costs something but takes

less time (upgrade to CS4). Clearly only you can decide which side of the

time/money tradeoff makes sense to you.

Eric

Use dng converter or upgrade to CS4 is indeed an answer - but not really an

acceptable one if you ask me. As someone who invested a lot of money on buying

CS4 I'm totally annoyed with the fact that so SOON Adobe is not supporting one

little bit of update - the new 5d Mark II.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anne,

In the first place, the DNG workflow really isn't that bad.  You have to download your images anyway, just use the DNG converter to do that download.  But you don't even have to do that.  If I read your message correctly, you have already purchased Photoshop CS4.  All you have to do is download the FREE Camera Raw update that is available from the Adobe download site.  Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?  In either case there are workable solutions.  And ranting about the situation isn't going to change anything.  When a new version of Photoshop is released, CS3 or CS4, etc., all support for the old version (including Camera Raw for that version) ceases.  But if you have purchased CS4 then you are entitled to free updates of all the 5.x versions of Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reasons many users don't want to upgrade from CS3 to CS4, the first one is very simple: many photographic plugins don't work with CS4. So mayby the point of adobe decision looks reasonable, but in result of that, we lose much more money than they earn. We should have much deeper pocket than it looks in adobe upgrade offer.

And the next point is much more frustrating, even if i pay Adobe for upgarde I stiil can't use CS3  with EOS 5 mark II. Maybe they should make paid upgrades of Camera RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

& Please! DNG FREE converter is not the answer, Photoshop CS 3 with Bridge is a good workplace, & with plugins much better then CS4. I've learned how to use it fast, DNG converter "slows my motion" & changing my mind, and ofcourse, takes my time & making me nervous. I'm sure you know what i meen. So both solutions (upgrade & converter) makes me rather sad.

So please consider paid upgrade of Camera Raw dear ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaszewicz wrote:

& Please! DNG FREE converter is not the answer, Photoshop CS 3 with Bridge is a good workplace, & with plugins much better then CS4. I've learned how to use it fast, DNG converter "slows my motion" & changing my mind, and ofcourse, takes my time & making me nervous. I'm sure you know what i meen. So both solutions (upgrade & converter) makes me rather sad.

So please consider paid upgrade of Camera Raw dear ADOBE.

I disagree with you about the DNG converter.  Look, you have to download your images anyway.  All you have to do is use the DNG converter to download your raw images, converting them in the process.  Then, the Photoshop/Bridge workflow is precisely the same.  I agree that it would be nice to be able to pay a fee to be able to use the new ACR with older versions of Photoshop.  But the policy held by Adobe is long-standing, and we knew what we were getting into from the beginning.  If you didn't know, it isn't Adobe's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer looks good, but only on paper, If you have to operate on few cameras & the only what you to do is drag & drop folder to your HDD structures I call it workplace. But when you must remember that some files you have to convert & some files not & you have to remember about oryginal CR2, and you have to place somewere CR2s & DNGs, and mayby somethig else in few month (if one of your photographer buy new camera) I call it mess.

I don't blame Adobe, I ask them to use few programer to make more money. Mayby it is good time to ask how many people works on CS2/CS3 & use third party converters, This is my point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, you are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.  But if you can not handle it, you can't.  I was given Lightroom 2.0 as a Christmas gift last year.  I use it in conjunction with Photoshop CS3 at home, and I get along just fine.  I have an older model, the Nikon D40, so I don't have to worry about support because it is already there.  Occasionally a friend will ask me to work on an image that isn't supported and I have to turn to the DNG converter.  It's not that big of a deal.  Especially if you don't want to or cannot upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop.

But as you indicated earlier, it would be nice if Adobe would let us pay a fee to be able to use the latest version of ACR.  One of the arguments I have read against that is that the program architecture changes so drastically that it is impossible to make ACR compatible with older versions.  I don't buy that argument because they do it with Photoshop Elements.  It's just one of those thorns in the side that I guess we should all pluck out and forget about because it isn't going to change, as far as I know

Unfortunately, until the camera companies decide to quit jerking their customer base around and settle on a common format, we are going to have to know enough about our software to know how to handle files from different manufacturers and different models.  It's a bigger problem than just Adobe.  The only way to settle the issue would be for everyone to just stop buying cameras until they agree to a common format.  But that is never going to happen.  Many businesses have the philosophy of providing what the customer wants.  That is not the case with the different camera manufacturers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to convert images all the time, it DOES become an unacceptable workflow. Of course, I do also realize that this whole issue is not really an Adobe problem, but equally one caused by Canon!

But I agree with previous suggestions: Adobe, we would gladly pay for a RAW upgrade!!! You can make us happy customers and SELL more software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must ask this question.  Why is the DNG converter such an unacceptable workflow.  If you are going to work on your images on computer they have to be downloaded.  Just use the DNG converter to do the download.  Then, from that point forward, the workflow is the same.

Now I admit that I don't use DNG because I don't have to.  But I still think those of you who complain about an unacceptable workflow are dwelling on something that isn't really there.  You have two choices.  Upgrade, or make a slight modification in your workflow.  But that modification doesn't make the workflow unacceptable in my opinion.  I'm not trying to win anyone over.  I just don't think you have really thought through the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom or converter are good if you want to convert 500 pictures for a friend.

Jim please, I have 2TB of pictures (in a year), made by 11 photographers with 7 cameras. I've bought (18 month ago) industry standard software solution to manage & edit them, I've bought kilos of plugins wich are very efficient & helpful in my work. What I want is paid (reasonably priced) support for that, consider that even if my plugins will work with CS 4 (remember that many of them not) I will have to pay for all plugin upgrades. If you add it (if I can make little extrapolation) it will be about 1100 Euros for a Camera RAW update.

As you said - it will be nice.

But mayby you have absolutely right: if I can not handle it, I can't & Adobe will not help me

& please Jim, if you speak about liability of "camera companies" consider that small software companies makes "converting & small files managment" for max 100$ @ edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bought industry-standard software 18 months ago.  That is a lifetime in software today.  I know, it's expensive, it's frustrating, it's reality.  I'm not going to "stir the pot" in this discussion anymore.  I guess we will all do what we have to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines