• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Problems with CS4 Upgrade

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to CS4 and have been experiencing the following problem. When I open an image from ACR to PS CS4 it looks absolutely nothing like it did in ACR. If I was to describe it, it would be that the image has an overall red tint when viewed in CS4. If I then save this image as a PSD file, and then open it in PS CS3 it matches the CS4 ACR image. So, what have I got set wrong in PS CS4 (which is still all of the default settings)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2008 Dec 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default camera profile changed to "Adobe Standard" with Camera Raw 5.2. If you don't like it, change the default back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response I did change the default camera profile as you suggested (changed to ACR4.6). The image does show a subtle change in ACR, but still a huge change when its opened. Perhaps a better way to explain my problem is this. When I open an image with CS3 PS it looks great. The same image opened in CS4 PS looks dark and red. I have two monitors, and have only calibrated the LACIE - where does a given version of photoshop pick up the monitor ICC profile, and could it be that the two different versions of photoshop are utilizing a different ICC profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I upgraded to CS4 from CS3 and I am using

Windows 7.  I can't find a solution to this problem.  I did the vidoe card check, and Windows 7 updates.

Not sure what to try next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is most likely NOT a monitor profile problem since any monitor profile should be in effect for CS3, CS4, and ACR.

What IS likely the problem is a mis-match in working color space. You probably have a different working colorspace set in CS4 as compared to CS3 or you have the other color settings set in such as way so that CS3 automatically adapts and CS4 doesn't.

Here is what you need to check:
You need to check Edit>Color Settings... in both CS3 and CS4. If you want them to behave the same, they should be set the same. Your working colorspace is a matter of preference. The most common are sRGB, AdobeRGB, and ProPhoto. If you have no idea what I am talking about and most of your images are either displayed online, sent via email to friends and family, or printed at the local drugstore then sRGB is probably a good choice. As you have time to learn about colorspace, you can try others.

I usually use "Preserve Embedded Profiles" for the Profiles section of the color settings and I put the checkmarks in all the "Ask When" options of the Color Settings. That way, PS always reminds me if there is a mis-match coming into PS.

Now you need to check which colorspace ACR is using when it does its raw development. If you look under the image in the ACR editing window, you will see a line of blue, underlined text. Click on that and you can set what colorspace will be used by ACR to develop images. Normally, you will want to make this colorspace match your working colorspace in PS but if you set up the color settings in PS as I mentioned above, you don't have to necessarily. Using the settings above, if you happen to generate an image from ACR in the ProPhoto colorspace and your PS working space is set to sRGB, PS will prompt you to make a decision. You can then decide if you want to use the colorspace embedded in the incoming image (ProPhoto)or the default working space you had previously chosen for PS (sRGB).

If colorspace issues are new to you, they can be kind of confusing at first. You may just want to set both PS and ACR to sRGB and use that for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks I am doing these things now.  The images seem to match better. Now I just have to see if the prints are still dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again thanks for the response. Both of the color spaces (CS3 and CS4) were set to sRGB - I have changed the color spaces in ACR, and PS between sRGB, Adobe RGB, and ProPhoto. I can see the differences in the images on the monitor, however even when matched, or I do have it the use imbedded profile selected, when it is opened in PS CS4 its just a huge change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color settings do you have set in Photoshop? (If it is "Monitor Color" then that is your problem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB. As close as I can tell all of the settings (at least related to color settings) are the same in CS3 and CS4. If I have the same image opened in both versions of photoshop, and on the monitor at the same time, and there drastically different there has to be something set wrong, but I have no idea where to go from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there were some issues in the Windows version of Photoshop CS3 dealing with multiple monitors and getting the correct ICC profiles for them in all cases, which were resolved in CS4.

I would make sure that both of your monitors are correctly calibrated, and you don't have a bad monitor profile causing you problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some problems and after a whole day of troubleshooting discovered that CS4 uses the monitor profile for the primary monitor regardless of what profile is selected by the OS for the second monitor (at least this is what happens on Mac). If I set the primary monitor's profile to match the second monitor (and work on second monitor) then this issue is resolved. Adobe should fix this ASAP. I think I will start new thread about it. This is a subtle problem but can ruin all the work done on a machine relying on a calibrated monitor and ICC profiles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

foto-z wrote:

a whole day of troubleshooting discovered that CS4 uses the monitor profile for the primary monitor regardless of what profile is selected by the OS for the second monitor

The profile for each monitor is used by Photoshop on the respective monitor.  You need to calibrate and profile each monitor and use the resulting profile for each monitor.

foto-z wrote:

If I set the primary monitor's profile to match the second monitor (and work on second monitor) then this issue is resolved.

That is absolutely the wrong thing to do.  Calibrate and profile each monitor separately.

foto-z wrote:

Adobe should fix this ASAP.

Adobe has nothing to "fix".  Everyting is working as intended.

You need to learn about color management.  Photoshop has used the monitor profile for many, many versions now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the whole thread before adding any more replies.  This question was already answered. (Hint - turn off OpenGL acceleration).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón, you jump to many conclusions without knowing anything. Not at all useful.

Both my monitors are independently calibrated using an i1 Display 2 and ColorEyes.

The colours on the second monitor are only right when the second monitor's profile is applied to the first monitor. I will try deselecting the OpenGL acceleration now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

foto-z,

My reply was based solely on your posted text (hardly a model of lucidity) not on "jumping to conclusions".  Sorry I wasted your time and mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I just posted this but apparently not. I am using a Mac. I could also, and will re-calibrate both monitors. Again, if I open the same image in cs3 and then again in cs4, and display them on the monitor at the same time they are different (very different). In addition acr and cs4 are definitely set to the same color space yet opening an image from acr to cs4 on the same monitor shows a big difference. It's really very puzzling, and I've got to believe its something simple. Tomorrows another day. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you have Photoshop's color settings set to preserve embedded profiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another test you can do is save a TIFF file directly out of the Camera Raw dialog (use the Save... button). Then open this same TIFF file in both Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop CS4. If they are still different, this would eliminate Camera Raw settings from the possible problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-
I am having the same issue. Open image from ACR 5.2 and it is much darker than RAW- on the SAME color calibrated monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping with this TK!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2008 Dec 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did save a TIFF directly out of camera raw and opened in in CS3 and CS4- they were still significantly different. So, I started pushing buttons in CS4 . Now, if I go to Edit>Assign profile and change it from Working RGB: Adobe RGB(1998) to Profile:Color match RGB the image is very very close to the CS3 image. The same settings in CS3 is Working RGB: Adobe RGB(1998). Does this give anyone any clue to what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have not answered Thomas' question yet. Do you have "Preserve embedded profiles" specified in the policies section of the Color Settings in both CS3 and CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have the ACR output options in CS4 set to something other than your working space and you're NOT embedding the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both ACR and PS are set to Adobe RGB (1998). In PS4 in the Color Settings, Preserve embedded profiles are selected and have been. Like I have said this has never been an Issue with CS3. I also noticed this with the first image I worked with when all of the PS settings were in the default mode. So, does anyone know what actually happens in PS when Assign profile is changed to Color Match RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack B, you mentioned you were having a similar issue - have you made any progress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines