Converting TIFF to DNG

It's possible to convert a TIFF file to DNG in Lightroom, and I could have sworn I had done it at least once with the DNG Converter that comes with the Camera Raw plug-in. Now it works only with Lightroom. Is there some way to convert a TIFF file to DNG in Photoshop alone? I'm currently using CS, not yet having had time to upgrade to CS3.

Topics

DNG
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Converting TIFF to DNG

It's possible to convert a TIFF file to DNG in Lightroom, and I could have sworn I had done it at least once with the DNG Converter that comes with the Camera Raw plug-in. Now it works only with Lightroom. Is there some way to convert a TIFF file to DNG in Photoshop alone? I'm currently using CS, not yet having had time to upgrade to CS3.

Topics

DNG
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
32 Replies

Re: Converting TIFF to DNG

No. TIF is bitmap, DNG is RAW two totally different forms of image data. You
can go from DNG to TIF but not the other way.

Robert
View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I want to turn DNG to TIFF, but I don't know how

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Apr 26, 2016

Benjamin, this is a really old thread. It might have been better to start a new one. However, there are a number of ways to generate TIF images from DNG files, But actually "converting" the DNG files isn't one of them. When the files are opened in Camera Raw there is an option to save images, and one of your options is to save as a TIF file. It will be created in addition to the DNG file. The DNG file can be opened in Photoshop and then saved as a TIF file. But, again, it will be created in addition to the DNG file.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Actually, both Lightroom and Camera Raw 4.x can both create linear DNGs from gamma encoded JPEGs and TIFFs. They are not "raw files" in that they've already undergone a demosiacing process but they are indeed DNG files in a linear gamma. This requires Lightroom or the Camera Raw version found in Photoshop CS3. The DNG Convertor however can't make a DNG from a TIFF or JPEG files.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

My thanks both to Kerwin Bartinson and to Jeff Schewe. Having spent many fruitless hours on the Internet, in Photoshop Help, in my own Photoshop library, and in a major bookstore trying to find the answers to my question, your help is much appreciated. I finally did find from experimentation that ACR will work both with converted raw files and with a TIFF file exported from Lightroom into DNG. Even so I wasn't sure until now that I was actually working with DNG files in both cases. This also explains why I was unable to use the DNG Converter to make a DNG from a TIFF file even though I thought I remembered seeing a reference somewhere that CS3's DNG Converter will do it. Jeff Schewe has just saved me another fruitless search trying to find out how to convert a TIFF file to DNG in CS3. At least I know now that it can be done in CS3's ACR version, information that I have not been able to find until now.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Jeff can you provide some light on why someone would want to convert a TIFF
to a non-raw DNG? Benefits? Right now I am at a loss to see the point,
though if Adobe went to the trouble to add the ability they must have had
reason.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

If you want to take advantage of the processing routines in Camera Raw (optimized order for processing) and things like synced spot healing across multiple images (useful) and a better pipeline for processing jpegs (applying the same corrections across hundreds of images, Camera Raw/Lightroom can be useful for tiffs and jpegs.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Jun 25, 2008
Kerwin, maybe could it be useful in case you want to use a converter that would accept linear DNGs but no TIFFs, for instance, in case of scans...

(I guess that Jeff misread your question)
View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines