• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter 9.11 applies film simulation to Fuji X-T2 and X-T20 files

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered today when I used DNG converter to ingest some recent images from my X-T2 that the converter was applying the Acros simulation to the raw files. Until a few days ago it was processing them normally. I happened to still have some old images on the card that I had already converted successfully (i.e. in color with no simulation) and sure enough, when I ran them through DNG again, the converter applied the simulation to them, too. I solved the problem by updating to 9.12, but I feel this is a very serious bug that Adobe should be made aware of - if I was in the habit of deleting my images off the cards immediately following conversion, I would have been screwed. Anyone know what might have happened?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would question whether the DNG converter but actually do this on its own. All the DNG converter does is convert the data and put the raw image data in a new file container. I suspect that when you opened the images in what ever software you used you inadvertently applied some sort of preset that caused this to happen. Stranger things have happened to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine how DNG would do it either, but I opened those files in LR, PS, and a simple image viewer called Xee, and all of them showed the same image; I also converted the most recent images along with the existing files on the card in different batches and opened them in different orders with those same viewers, and everything came out the same.

I would imagine the bug affected the DNG container; perhaps Fuji raw containers store some information about their film simulations or JPG processing, and DNG scrambled it. I know when I load a Fuji DNG into LR (I have LR 5, which does not support XT2 RAF files natively) it gives me the option of applying the film simulations. My guess is wherever that information comes from fueled the bug in the converter. Also, when I opened the develop module in LR, Acros was the only profile available, which I think would not be the case if LR applied a preset. It's not the camera either, because the DNG applied the same bug to old RAFs that had already been converted normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have moved on to a newer version of the DNG converter, I'm afraid this will have to be considered an isolated case. Nobody else has reported this same problem that I am aware of. If you want to reinstall that version of the DNG converter and try to replicate the issue that would be one thing. However, since you are using the newer converter and are not seeing the problem I don't think this is an issue worth pursuing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I need to bring this one back from the dead.

Shooting the x100f with the Arcos film simulation, but shooting RAW+Fine as is my usual standard, so that I can pull out the color images if I want to. I'm still using Photoshop CS6, so I run my .raf files through Adobe DNG Converter (vers 9.12.0.784) and keep both the originals and the new dng files. But when I open the dng with Photoshop Camera Raw I get the the RAW processing window with a black and white image - the Arcos Simulation, rather than the true RAW file. 

If I use Alien Skins Exposure X3 to process the raw file I'm getting the color image, so there's something in the dng converter that's not working right, and bringing the film simulation along for the ride. I've got workarounds, but they're super clunky. It's a weird problem...

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I haven't had a Fuji camera for a long time. Haven't used the DNG converter much either. Suggest that you ask the question on a different forum where the developers monitor more closely. This is a user to user forum. Here is the link where you might get better help:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

did you solve the issue? I get the same today with my Xt20 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the same problem. Deleted the converter and did a new install. that helped.

But that was only the smaller problem. Issue with dng converter on mac os, from RAF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines