• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter Loads Unwanted Custom Profile in Converted DNG File

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This title is a little clearer and hopefully will attract people who work on DNG Converter.

DNG Converter (I am using 9.8 but it did this earlier as well) appears to always load into the converted .DNG file one of the custom .dcp profiles available for the camera in the ...\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles directory.  The only way I have found to make it load the default profile (which I assume is Adobe Standard) into the .DNG file is to delete all custom profiles for the camera from that directory.  That's a pain because I then need to put them back in there whenever I do want to use them with ACR.

For reference, here is a screenshot of the never-opened, just converted .DNG file as read by exifTool showing my custom .dcp profile in place of Adobe's default (note illuminant, matrix and name):

ExifDump.PNG

I need these DNG files to be standalone in order to be processed by programs other than LR/ACR.  How can one tell DNG Converter to load default profile information in the converted DNG?  Or at least to choose what profile to load?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really surprising. Really, Really surprising. As in I'd be pretty sure something other than "DNG converter is inserting a random profile" is happening here.

a) Are you completely sure that you're using the stand-alone DNG converter, not ACR or lightroom?

b) Are you completely sure that you're converting from the original NEF, not from a DNG created by ACR or Lightroom?

If you are sure, then I'd suggest posting the DNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the other post regarding this subject.

How to choose when to embed custom .dcp in DNG Converted file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been confirmed but is unresolved.  I am posting here hoping that someone working on DNG Converter will be attracted to take a look.  Please see the other thread, which has moved further along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, post the DNG. Otherwise everyone's just blundering around in the dark, guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found an old post that explains the behavior you are seeing: Re: DNG Converter 5.2 and Camera Profiles

"The DNG Converter DOES use the new camera profiles. That is why we install them along with the DNG Converter.

If an existing raw file already has settings set by Camera Raw or Lightroom, the DNG Converter will use those settings when building the JPEG previews and deciding which profile to embed as the primary camera profile in the DNG.

Otherwise, it will use whatever custom defaults you have set for you camera model (in Camera Raw or Lightroom).

Or if you have not set custom defaults, it will use the Adobe default settings, which starting with version 5.2, now uses the new "Adobe Standard" profiles for all models that have them.

In any case, it needs to have the camera profiles installed to work correctly."

Unfortunately it doesn't explain what I'm seeing! Adobe DNG Converter uses the topmost Alpha-Numeric sort camera profile name in the 'User' folder where my LR and ACR "default" profiles are located. This is NOT the LR or ACR default profile, but instead the  topmost Alpha-Numeric sort camera profile in the 'User' folder.

Here's the above DNG file created by Adobe DNG Converter:

Dropbox - IMG_0167.DNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly.  Thanks for the quote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines