• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter.. changing size of dng when converting from NEF ??

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win XP Pro SP3; ACR 7.1

Trying to use the "Change Preferences" dialogue to reduce the size of my converted DNG's

Shooting with a Nikon D800E.. Working in ACR V 5.7.0.213

When I convert with the "Use Lossy Compression" box unchecked  (i.e. "Don't use Lossy Compression"), the converter works fine

When I try to apply Lossy Compression.. the resulting DNG's won't display in Bridge

What am I missing?

Several of my agency clients require that I upload RAW files to their editor in Asia. The 7360 x 4912 @ 240 D800 native size is too large.. the data costs are killing me.

My older version of ACR can't read the D800 files; and their editor can't read the native D800 NEF's

Thnx in advance

CDM

NYC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the latest DNG converter? If not, that would be the first thing to try. Unless your camera has a way for you to reduce the size of the image, there really isn't much you can do if you need to submit raw images. The DNG converter cannot make the image smaller as far as dimensions are concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.. Thanks for the reply..

What I've finally done is to compress the NEF's using the D800 Menu settings. This results in a size reduction of about 30%... which certainly helps

I'm using DNG converter v 7.1. I'm told that 8.3 is the highest version that will support Win XP Pro, and I'll try that at some point.

As the only reason I really need to do this is to reduce my monthly data use on my Mobile Broadband account to bring the price down. I'm not too concerned about reducing the pixel dimensions of the final DNG, more reducing the size in Mb. I realize that switching to a cable account like Spectrum or Verizon Fios would offer a faster connection speed account with no data cap; but for murky political reasons I can't do that here in NYC.. believe it or not. Verizon isn't available in my neighborhood.. yet as it's wired for Spectrum. Spectrum has a weird policy that they'll only allow 1 account per household.. My roommate has the Spectrum account.. and Spectrum catagorizes each apartment as a "household" (stupid). Neither my roommate nor myself wants to share the account.

Interestingly enough.. looking at the final DNG conversions in Bridge (mde from NEF's compressed in-camera)....they have a pixel size identical to the original D800 NEF's, but the total Mb size is approx 30% less. I can see no noticeable reduction in Image quality.

What I can't understand is why won't the "Use Lossy Compression" Properties option in my 7.1 converter render DNG files that my CS4 Bridge can read ??? Maybe the 8.3 version will ?? But I'm suspecting that the issue might be compatibility between CS4 and my 7.1 converter. If that's the case.. maybe a higher version isn't the answer ??

Adobe is no help.. Do you know if there's any kind of DNG converter user manual around anywhere ??

Regards..

CDM

NYC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any user manual. There are a few "how to" videos, but they are quite basic. Have you tried setting the compatibility level to an earlier version to see if that makes the difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.. thanks for the reply.

I tried every version from 5.(x) to 7.1 before I could get it to open the D800E NEF's. The Adobe DNG camera compatibility chart lists the D800 only compatible from v 6.3 and 7.3 on up. Mine wouldn't open with 6.3. Apparently my D800 has later firmware.. ?

This is a bit of a black hole.. :-). I am planning to upgrade to Win 10 Pro in a few months via a whole new workstation.. (64 bit.. masive processor, etc.). But I'm not planning to upgrade Photoshop as soon.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the "change preferences" button that is near the bottom of the DNG converter interface. It is possible to generate DNG files that are compatible with earlier versions of camera raw. Have you experimented with changing that compatibility level to see if it makes any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Yeah.. I hadn't thought of that.. Thanks.. let me give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. As soon as I change the version to earlier than 6.3.. (i.e to the 5.4, the version that comes with CS4), the "Use Lossy Compression" option greys out. If I set the version up one notch to 6.3 and "Don't Use Lossy Compression" is set, the DNGs convert fine.. at the same size as the NEF. But as soon as I try to set "Use Lossy Compression".the DNG's are unreadable in my CS4 bridge again. I tried several Use Lossy Compression options.... same thing. I also tried opening the "Use Lossy Compression" converted folders in Nikon View NX, but NX apparently won't read DNG files (?? weird). View NX will read my native D800 files, however.; but NX has no option to resize RAW files... only jepg or tiff output.

I am using NEF files that I compressed in the camera.. still on the card from shooting yesterday; so.. perhaps that's making a problem??? I'll try shooting some new D800 files tomorrow.. uncompressed.. and re-run the same tests to make sure.

But.. have a feeling that this is Adobe's message to subscribe to PS CC :-).

Thanks again for the input.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the reasons are raw files cannot be resized is that raw files do not contain pixel data.  The files have to be converted in order to have pixel data, and that is what camera raw is for, or ViewNX, Lightroom or other raw converters. Apparently lossy compression is not compatible with your version of camera raw. If you are a professional photographer it might be a good idea for you to invest in the creative cloud photography package that costs $9.99/month. But even then I'm not confident that you will be able to reduce the image size significantly enough to make a difference. Maybe you should consider a camera that doesn't take such a large raw image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.. I am a pro,, and do most of my work with D3 bodies. I bought the D800E originally for my own work (BW images output at 16 x 20 on Epson printers). This one particular client that requires RAW files uploaded is an agency for high end RE brokers and companies in NYC, and they are the only client I've ever had to upload RAW files to.

The D800 has a very accurate virtual horizon that enables me to level the camera both side to side and front to back (the D3 bodies' virtual horizon only levels side to side); so it's a natural for architectural work. All of my other clients get files uoploaded as finished fine jepgs.. so the data issue only comes up with the one client.

The files size of the uncompressed D800 files isn't an issue otherwise.. I've plenty of storage.

My conclusion with all of this is you're correct.. my CS4 ACR, Bridge and DNG Converter won't read the ACR re-sized DNG's.. just as they won't read the native NEF files. Why?? not really sure. So DNG lossy compression must be a relativey new option

As to resizing DNG's,, the DNG converter offers a pretty wide range of lower size options. Why? Not sure. I agree with you.. if you consistantly need smaller file sizes for whatever reason.. best to use a lower rez FX camera or move down to a DX format. I've shot with an assistant's D300 several time.. Files looked really nice.

Cheers.

CDM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines