Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter does not work - on my system

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe-Users,

in advance: Sorry for my english, I try my very best. If anybody speaks german: it would be much more easier.

I've got lots of troubles with my Lightroom 5.7.1 (Camera Raw 8.7.1.) at Windows 7, 64 bit, Intel Core i7-4510U, 8GB RAM.

THE ONLY SOLUTION MAY BE DNG CONVERTER.

But first the main problem: Lightroom can't work with Sonys ARW-Files (ILCE-A7M2). Adobe Cameras supported by Camera Raw says, it should work but it doesn't.

Some people say, the only solution may be to convert the files with DNG Converter, but the program (current version 10.2) doesn't work - I can't start it, an error pops up, that's all. But if I copy the program-files to an usb-stick and start it (directly from stick) on my girlfriends computer (very old, very slow) it starts. WTF?

Are there any people who can tell me, what's wrong with my system?

For information: In addition to Lightroom it runs Adobe CS 6. And no, I don't want to upgrade to Adobe CC, because it's too expensive at the moment.

Best regards

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

There is a bug in version 10.2 of the DNG converter - see here for a workaround.

Camera Raw and DNG: DNG converter 10.2 installs but fails to open | Photoshop Family Customer Community

But LR 5.7.1 should be able to read the files from your camera without converting to DNG.

What exactly happens when you try to import?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't speak or write German. Something else must be wrong because Lightroom 5.71 should be able to support the raw files from that camera model. You shouldn't need to use the DNG converter. Are you sure you have installed Lightroom 5.71?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

no matter. I understand english very well, but can't speak or write the same way

Of course I've installed 5.71 - and I can imagine, that's not a problem of lightroom, but the system.

Best regards

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in version 10.2 of the DNG converter - see here for a workaround.

Camera Raw and DNG: DNG converter 10.2 installs but fails to open | Photoshop Family Customer Commun...

But LR 5.7.1 should be able to read the files from your camera without converting to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

now it's difficult to explain in english.

If I import the files, the previews are marked with an exclamation mark.

It says, the files is corrupt or not supported. And it's sure: They are not corrupt.

Something may be wrong with my system. That's the question.

I will check your link. Perhaps it will work with DNG Converter. But better would be to solve the main problem

Best regards

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

najock  wrote

If I import the files, the previews are marked with an exclamation mark.

So you are able to import. The exclamation marks mean that Lightroom cannot find the files - it seems that you have either moved or renamed the files after the import, or the files are on an external disk that is not connected to the computer.

It says, the files is corrupt or not supported. And it's sure: They are not corrupt.

Can you provide a screenshot of the entire Lightroom window in Library? (probably Bibliothek in German)

It would also be helpful if you could share one of the raw files with us on Dropbox, so we could take a look at it.

And how do you know they are not corrupted?

Perhaps it will work with DNG Converter. But better would be to solve the main problem

Yes, it is better to solve the main problem. (it seems that you have two)

I dont't think using the DNG converter will make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

So you are able to import. The exclamation marks mean that Lightroom cannot find the files - it seems that you have either moved or renamed the files after the import, or the files are on an external disk that is not connected to the computer.

No, no. I've removed the file from my library and reimported it. The connection is fine. The CR2 in the same folder are also fine. The problem is, that Lightroom can't manage ARW.

And how do you know they are not corrupted?

I can open the files with Sony Software. And I have send one file to my dad who has imported it succesfully in Lightroom 6.14 ...

First problem: Why can't Lightroom manage ARW? I am not the first person with this problem. But I haven't found the answer yet.

Second problem: Why I can't start DNG Converter at my laptop, but at my girlfriends laptop? If it would work, I could try to import my pictures as DNG instead of ARW.

Screenshot of my library: Dropbox - Screenshot 2018-03-29 21.25.05.png

The higlighted picture is CR2, the exclamation marked previews are ARW.

The box shows the error-message of the exclamation mark.

Example: Dropbox - 2018_Renovierung_0014.ARW

You will have no problems importing this file, as my father do.

The main problem is caused by my system. I guess both, ARW and DNG Converter.

Best regards
Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Per+Berntsen  schrieb

Camera Raw and DNG: DNG converter 10.2 installs but fails to open | Photoshop Family Customer Commun...

Okay. DNG Converter is running now THANKS! The program converts ARW to DNG - an Lightroom can manage these files.

But if there is a solution for the ARW-problem, it would be perfect. But at the moment I can work with DNG. At least.

Best regards

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you expected, I had no problems with the file from Dropbox.

The screenshot you posted shows a different kind of exclamation mark (on a black background), and a forum search seems to indicate that this means corrupted metadata. I found one thread, where the problem was fixed by moving the files to a different location, and then moving them back.

Is your D drive internal or external? I wonder if it could be causing the corruption. You should check the drive for errors, and if it is external, also check the connections and cables.

Another possibility is that the Sony software is causing the corruption. This can happen to Nikon users when using older versions of the Nikon software to copy files to their computer.

If you have been using Sony software, try copying a few files to the computer with the OS (Windows Explorer), and see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

The screenshot you posted shows a different kind of exclamation mark (on a black background), and a forum search seems to indicate that this means corrupted metadata. I found one thread, where the problem was fixed by moving the files to a different location, and then moving them back.

But CR2 located in the same folder have no exclamation mark. I guess, it's not the solution.

Is your D drive internal or external? I wonder if it could be causing the corruption. You should check the drive for errors, and if it is external, also check the connections and cables.

It's my NAS. None of the files are corrupt or moved. It's a brandnew system and it works well.

Another possibility is that the Sony software is causing the corruption. This can happen to Nikon users when using older versions of the Nikon software to copy files to their computer.

If you have been using Sony software, try copying a few files to the computer with the OS (Windows Explorer), and see if that makes any difference.

I've inistalled Sony software months ago. But I've never used it. Every picture was copied by OS. Perhaps a deinstallation of Sony will help. I will try.

Thanks

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Daniel,

There have been some reports about NAS drives causing corrupted files. Not the drive itself, but the network protocol used. So I guess the NAS could be the source of your problem. Since I have absolutely no experience with network drives, I'll just post a link to a search for "nas corruption" in the Lightroom forum: https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=nas%20corruption

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

thanks, I will check this topic. But I doesn't think so. Because CR2 works well. And all ARW can't be proceed. Hm. Now I have deleted all Sony software, ARW-drivers and Lightroom, cleaned the registry and reinstalled Lightroom. Keep your fingers crossed

Otherwise I will use DNG converter until I've got a new system.

Many thanks & best regards

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

now my problems are solved completly. What have I done? I bought Lightroom 6 (but nothing happened). After updating to 6.14 it works well. YES!

Happy easter.

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines