• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter making NEF image notably darker

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I recently got a Nikon d5500, only to find that the Raw file type won't work with Lightroom 5 which is all I can afford right now. So I used the Adobe Digital converter to turn them into DNGs so I could edit them. I noticed though that the images became a step or two darker once converted. Am I using the Converter wrong? Is this normal? I've included an example of what it did. If I could get any help I'd appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.22.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.22.34 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what software are you opening the original D5500 nef files?

Every software has their own ideas of how to interpret/process camera raw files, so what your seeing is not wrong necessarily, just the way adobe chose to interpret the D5500 nefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images attached are looking at the images directly in finder. I didn't use any program to copy the files to my computer from SD card. I just selected and copied the NEFs to the folder I made for them on the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the same difference in Adobe Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finder is not showing the raw image data, but rather the JPEG preview that is always part of the raw image. The JPEG preview is necessary because the camera cannot display the raw image data. That preview is going to include adjustments made in the camera. The raw image data is not going to have those in-camera adjustments, and can be expected to be different from the JPEG preview. If your raw images are consistently darker or in some other way different from what you would like them to be when first imported or converted, you can always change your default settings in whatever software you are using (Lightroom or Camera Raw).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see if I can explain.

I am not using lightroom or camera raw.

I am only using dng converter.(which may have a cameraraw addon?)

I understand the fact I only see jpegs of raw files.

But,from what I have read it seams dng converter v10.5 should read and understand settings in my nef files for my D3400..and ajust the jpeg to be "similar" to the jpeg in my camera?

I cannot adjust settings in dng converter or addon (if that is what camera raw is).

The difference is like black and white before and after conversion.

Please note I am a complete newby but have read as much as I can find on web for last 2 months.

regards arthos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added .I converted some photos/files last month and they were ok???

don't know how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi im having same problem.

did you find a solution?

regards

arthos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem As Abode lightroom 6 does not support to my greatest regret Nikon D7500 and I need to convert my raw with Abode DNG converter.

May be Nikon software can perform the conversion?

Kind regards,

joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The darkness (or apparent brightness) is a function of the current rendering settings so you simply need to adjust the various sliders to get an appearance you desire and make a preset. Exposure is baked into the raw at capture. It's very possible a raw can be under or over exposed and look the opposite in any raw converter. Without viewing a raw Histogram, you cannot evaluate exposure. So yeah, the exposure is what it is, converting to DNG may make the initial preview appear 'darker', lighten it up. Is this normal? No, I don't see this whatsoever with my Canon and Sony raws converted but when the rubber meets the road, just alter the default presets for the DNG. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Finder does not display the raw file, but the embedded jpg preview.

The NEF preview is created in the camera, and has camera settings applied to it.

The DNG preview is created by the DNG converter, and since Adobe software doesn't understand the camera settings,  this preview does not have camera settings applied to it.

There is one exception to this – Nikon Z cameras write camera settings in XMP, which Adobe software understands.

So with Z cameras the previews should be identical in the Finder, or at least very similar.

image.pngimage_2020-10-13_222604.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines