DNG Converter making NEF image notably darker

Hello! I recently got a Nikon d5500, only to find that the Raw file type won't work with Lightroom 5 which is all I can afford right now. So I used the Adobe Digital converter to turn them into DNGs so I could edit them. I noticed though that the images became a step or two darker once converted. Am I using the Converter wrong? Is this normal? I've included an example of what it did. If I could get any help I'd appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.22.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.22.34 PM.png

Topics

DNG
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

DNG Converter making NEF image notably darker

Hello! I recently got a Nikon d5500, only to find that the Raw file type won't work with Lightroom 5 which is all I can afford right now. So I used the Adobe Digital converter to turn them into DNGs so I could edit them. I noticed though that the images became a step or two darker once converted. Am I using the Converter wrong? Is this normal? I've included an example of what it did. If I could get any help I'd appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.22.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.22.34 PM.png

Topics

DNG
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
7 Replies

Re: DNG Converter making NEF image notably darker

Adobe Community Professional, Sep 23, 2017

In what software are you opening the original D5500 nef files?

Every software has their own ideas of how to interpret/process camera raw files, so what your seeing is not wrong necessarily, just the way adobe chose to interpret the D5500 nefs.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

The images attached are looking at the images directly in finder. I didn't use any program to copy the files to my computer from SD card. I just selected and copied the NEFs to the folder I made for them on the desktop.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Sep 23, 2017

Do you see the same difference in Adobe Bridge?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Sep 24, 2018

Finder is not showing the raw image data, but rather the JPEG preview that is always part of the raw image. The JPEG preview is necessary because the camera cannot display the raw image data. That preview is going to include adjustments made in the camera. The raw image data is not going to have those in-camera adjustments, and can be expected to be different from the JPEG preview. If your raw images are consistently darker or in some other way different from what you would like them to be when first imported or converted, you can always change your default settings in whatever software you are using (Lightroom or Camera Raw).

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

see if I can explain.

I am not using lightroom or camera raw.

I am only using dng converter.(which may have a cameraraw addon?)

I understand the fact I only see jpegs of raw files.

But,from what I have read it seams dng converter v10.5 should read and understand settings in my nef files for my D3400..and ajust the jpeg to be "similar" to the jpeg in my camera?

I cannot adjust settings in dng converter or addon (if that is what camera raw is).

The difference is like black and white before and after conversion.

Please note I am a complete newby but have read as much as I can find on web for last 2 months.

regards arthos

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I should have added .I converted some photos/files last month and they were ok???

don't know how.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

hi im having same problem.

did you find a solution?

regards

arthos

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines