Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG file sizes v RAW and space

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am contemplating using DNG converter to be able to work with my new camera's raw files in Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom.

My question is: is it hassle having two files - DNG and the original RAW and won't this take up loads more space on drive.

I am thinking that having 2 versions of same image will be hassle. am i better to just upgade to CS6 which will take the camera raw plugin i need

and i can just work off the one RAW file.

Appreciate help on this, thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

If you are going to use the   DNG converter because your software is older then my question is why do you even need to keep the original raw file? Your software isn't going to be able to use it. The DNG file contains all the same raw image data.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to use the   DNG converter because your software is older then my question is why do you even need to keep the original raw file? Your software isn't going to be able to use it. The DNG file contains all the same raw image data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jim, makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines