• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: DNG files have pink cast in preview & thumbnails mac

New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previews and thumbnails of DNG files have a pink cast but the original CR2 files don't.

All DNG files read fine when opened in Adobe software (Lightroom, Raw & Photoshop)

I've been keeping the CR2 until I understand what's going on but it takes up a lot of extra storage space and some I already deleted before realizing the issue.

I'm shooting with CANON 5D IV & II (2 different cameras) and the files are coming from various SanDisk cards. This has never happened and only started in April 2018. Images I shot in March didn't have this issues. YET there were some images in March I didn't upload until April and they are pink.

It seems to be something that has happened during the conversion from CR2 to DNG.

I use Lightroom CC with Raw 9.12

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to find a similar report, so I've posted this at the feedback page:

Converting raw files to lossy DNG sometimes results in purple-cast previews in the Library module | ...

Please vote/like it if you are affected by this issue, or comment (in that thread) to add your own experience and information, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are one year later and the problem still occurs - in Library module the thumbnail and Loupe View are pink when viewing a DNG.  There are no issues in the develop module.

I am on Mac using  LR Classic CC 8.3 Adobe Camera raw raw 11.3 which as of May 2019 is the latest version.

I was able to work around the problem by having LR rebuild the preview - I'm my case I choose 1:1 and the problem was solved.  To me it appears that the preview therefore is the problem.

Further - the DNG was created in LR from a Sony RAW file (.ARW) with Lossy Compression from an A7RIII which had no compression. 

I would like to add one final note, the comment from ssprengel  seems quite unhelpful - I am always disappointed with the APC type comments - little thought and lots of posts just diverting from the real solution which I suspect is a simple bug that needs to be reported, not hanging around for a year.   Sorry but I find these forums don't accomplish anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the opposite for me; if I use lossy compression the photos no longer have a pink cast.  Any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom just upgraded itself today to Lightroom Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.0 Release, and this problem with the pink has started with me also. I see no answers below to this problem as of yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me. I'm using the Adobe DNG Converter 12.2.1 to make my DNG files. I'm starting with Fuji RAF Raw files. 

I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.4.

I am getting the Pink cast when viewing the dng file using Finder or Preview.  They display correctly in Adobe Products, but the whole point for me to convert to DNG is so that I can see the previews in Finder because MacOS does not support Fuji RAF raw files at all.

I tried using both my integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 and my dedicated Radeon Pro 560X graphics card thinking it was possibly a hardware issue, but both graphics cards behaved the same way.

Other DNG Files that I've created in Photoshop display fine. The only ones that are having a problem are RAW files converted to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread while Googling because after using Adobe DNG Convertor for thousands and thousands of photos, today it suddenly started imparting a pink cast on all the thumbnails viewed in Mac OS X Mojave column view. Bridge and Photoshop don't exhibit this issue. Anyone know why this is happening, and why all of a sudden? (FYI... I'm running CS6 as it suits all my needs and I have no desire to be locked into a subscription service. Therefore, I have to stay on Mojave as, from what I've been told, Catalina and above break CS6.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, just started recently.Only difference is that my canon MkIV .CR2 files convert to dng perfectly in Mac Finder, but my Fujifil X-T4 RAF files convert to magenta dng. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 12.50.53 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-01 at 12.52.10 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to you, I reached this issue this week and have been Googling.  I discovered, like you (except on a PC), that my third-party applications suddently had the pink cast referenced on many sites, going back several years.  I had just recently switched from using the Adobe DNG Convertor to using Lightroom Classic to do my .NEF to .DNG conversion.  A lot of the sites I found seemed to focus on the lossy vs. lossless.  I use lossless and since that isn't directly settable in LR, I assumed that was also the issue.  But I confirmed LR was making the same lossless DNG files that ADC was making before.

In changing to LR from ADC, there were other tweaks that I had made.  One site recommended in Preferences-->File Handling to set "Embed Fast Load Data" to make my editing faster, so I did that.  While looking for this solution, several sites referencing the pink cast were concerned that Adobe was embedding features into the DNG that other programs couldn't/didn't use.  That seemed like it might be one of them so I turned that off and then did a Metadata-->Update DNG Previews & Metadata and suddenly my third party software lost the pink cast.

So for me, when using LR to make DNGs, uncheck "Embed Fast Load Data" in Preferences-->File Handling and my third party applications show the DNG just as LR does, with no pink cast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate