• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deficient handling of areas of blacks and shadows in ACR

Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I was playing trying to reveal a hidden text in an underexposed area. Camera RAW could not show it while other programs including the Preview utility in Mac OSX and Luminar, Exposure, Affinity and CaptureOne did it without problems. I have always thought that Photoshop and Camera RAW are the parents, the origin of the other programs, so it is hard for me to take on this problem that on the other hand may not be so serious.

If I open the JPG file directly in PS and then I go to ACR, no problem the text can be seen moving some controls; but if I open the file directly in Camera RAW, it is not possible.

I'm a Mac user and all the software involved is up to date.

I attach the test file. 40035943_10214123535536569_2220485701051351040_o.jpg

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Please feel free to see this 30 sec video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

The OP is describing a problem with JPG-handling in the ACR plug-in.

The JPG under question is in the first post, just download and try it for yourself.  This has nothing to do with raw processing.

More significantly, LR acts the same, so there's no way to get to the darkest few tones when editing a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Adobe released Ps 20.0.2 It seems that this problem has been corrected. Thank you Adobe.

"The raw metadata for some Photoshop files has excessive number of entries of 'photoshop:DocumentAncestors'"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it has been fixed, it has nothing to do with DocumentAncestors - which does not apply to raw files from a camera. That's an issue with excessive amounts of edit history metadata, bloating file sizes.

The problem with the black scaled profile is apparently that it interferes with normal Black Point Compensation - a standardized procedure that works very well when left to its own devices. I suspect the black scaled profile is intended to be used with applications that don't do BPC at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the clarification. However, the problem is solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines