• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading DNG converter

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some Canon CR3 RAW files I want to process in Photoshop and Camera Raw (CC2017 - haven't dared update in case I lose plug-ins that aren't available any more). Tried to download the DNG converter (Version 11 Beta) but it needs Mac OS 10.12 and I have 10.11. Does anyone know if there is an earlier version of the DNG converter that would work with my operating system, and how I might get hold of it? If the current version is only Beta, thought there might be one somewhere! Any help gratefully received.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

The 10.5 dng converter is the newest one that is compatible with mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 10.5

But if you already have the camera raw 10.5 plugin and the canon cr3 files won't open, then the 10.5 dng converter won't process them.

What canon camera are the cr3s from?

If your mac is new enough have you considered updating to a newer macOS?

macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this query to Adobe Camera Raw​ community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 10.5 dng converter is the newest one that is compatible with mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 10.5

But if you already have the camera raw 10.5 plugin and the canon cr3 files won't open, then the 10.5 dng converter won't process them.

What canon camera are the cr3s from?

If your mac is new enough have you considered updating to a newer macOS?

macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, the CR3 are for the new Canon Mirrorless cameras.

And yes, Joselyn's dilemma with her new camera is that she now has to update the rest of her digital workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary - fortunately I haven't actually bought the Canon mirrorless (yet), but was just borrowing it. But I do know I will have to upgrade soon. Have been putting it off. Perhaps updating the Photoshop CC will be less traumatic than the OS. I just need to check what might happen to all my Nik and Topaz plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jocelyn,

Just a word of small warning. If you go to High Sierra (X.13), you may have less of an issue with software than if you go to Mojave. The reason is that with Mojave, you absolutely must have 64 bit software where in X.13 (High Sierra), you could still run 32-bit.

But that is not necessarily the whole story: I had FileMaker Pro v. 14 which was 64-bit but failed to run at all in Mojave. So if you have old software, be prepared to update that as well. (Software can be a bitch, huh?)

To find out how much of your software is 64-bit, go to the Apple menu and select the top one "About this Mac." Then click on the lower left button: "System Report." Then on the left hand column, in the Software section, click on the word "Applications." Depending on how many applications you have this may take a few moments to minutes to build and it will give you a complete list of every software item you have on your computer. This is a split screen so if you click on the title of an application on the top, the bottom shows some info on the application. Below is a screenshot of the kind of thing you might see.

Here you can see that I've clicked on After Effects CC 2019, and it shows a variety of things but the pertinent thing is that it shows "64-Bit (Intel): followed by "Yes."

Any 32 bit applications will not work with Mojave but as stated earlier, some 64 bit may also not work. You won't know until you try.

2018-12-04_12-06-09.png

Hope this helps some

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary

Thanks so much for the warning and the information. Have just had a look at all my applications (there was a column with the 64 bit info in so I just clicked on that to get all the No's at the top to browse through). All my Microsoft Office apps would bite the dust, but my image editing ones like Topaz would all be OK. Strange that Photoshop CS6 - which I keep to use Perfect Resize8 - is OK, but the more recent CS6 Extension isn't. And my Bridge and Photoshop CC are Ok, but it says my ACR 9.8 isn't.

The joys of Apple's constant system updates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joselyn,

Yeah, the joys.

Just keep in mind (and to reiterate)  that the 32-bit apps will definitely not work but there is no guarantee that all 64-bit will work. For me the shocker was FileMaker Pro. Very surprised at that one.

The reason though is that Mojave (X.14) was a major update. Sierra was a medium update and High Sierra was a small update to the basic OS structure. I'm going out on a limb here and say that I expect X.15 to be minor and X.16 also to not be earth shaking (as far as internal structure goes, no idea on features obviously).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave still runs 32 bit applications, but just gives a warning that they are not optimized for your mac.

According to apple 32 bit will definitely not work on the next macOS version.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeff, I had heard that HS was the last to run 32-bit applications.

Ah, well nothing bad against being early, late can be an issue.

Thanks for the correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff - thanks so much for your reply and the link to the earlier version of the converter. I downloaded it and had a go but unfortunately it won't convert the CR3 files. It did my Fuji XE2 perfectly in a test but then my Camera Raw (version 9.8) reads these just fine. I know I should bite the bullet and either upgrade my CC package or my macOS or both, but always terrified something is going to go wrong, and haven't had the time to set aside to allowing for this!

Fortunately, the files are from a session when I was lent the new Canon mirrorless camera, so it isn't a camera I have actually got (can't afford it!) that I can't use. I'd like to see the images from the session, but perhaps I can find someone who can convert them for me for the moment.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines