• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am writing a raw importer, but Camera Raw is selected over my plugin. How do I get my plugin to be used instead of Camera Raw?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera raw does not support my newly released Nikon COOLPIX P1000 yet, so I would like to use my plugin for reading NRW files.  Unfortunately, CameraRaw is always selected when opening NRW files and not my plugin in.

I can't seem to uninstall camera raw or get photoshop to use my NRW file reader.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Hi Doug,

Have you tried converting the NRW files to DNG format and see if that helps? Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

Have you tried converting the NRW files to DNG format and see if that helps? Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't locate a convert than can read this format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion would be to just be patient. By the time you get all the bugs out of writing your own converter or what ever, the next update will be released and you won't need it anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a while and in the meantime, I can't edit the raw files.

The importer and exporter code is already functional, so there is no need to debug that.  In general, being able to override camera raw importers is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Doug+Rogers  wrote

It could be a while and in the meantime, I can't edit the raw files.

The importer and exporter code is already functional, so there is no need to debug that.  In general, being able to override camera raw importers is useful.

DNG converter version 11 has been released which supports the camera, So you "could" download it and convert your raw files to DNG for the time being. Since the DNG converter has been released, my guess would be that a Lightroom update and a camera raw update won't be too far behind. That is just a guess on my part, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see that there is prelimatary support for my camera in the DNG

converter. I will see how well it does.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the files in Bridge, while holding the shift key down. This will bypass opening the files in Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using shift in Bridge caused it to ignore all plugins, including mine.  Photoshop opened with no files loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the photoshop preferences there is such an override.

Go to Preferences>File Handling and uncheck Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for Supported Raw Files.

acr.png

If that doesn't work you can always use File>Open As on windows to select your raw plugin

or a mac in the File>Open dialog, click on the file, then change the Format to your plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for Supported Raw Files was already unchecked.

Selecting my plugin format (NRW) still used the camera raw version.

Thanks, though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines