• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 but can't find it to run it!

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS4 and Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.  I just got the EOS R and need to read its CR3 output files.  My PS CS4 only has (according to Help-->Plugins) Camera Raw plugin 5.0, so cannot read the CR3.  Further, newer Camera Raw plugins aren't supported by CS4.

At the end of the Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 Setup, it finds and fires up the old installation, version 7.3.0.71, and tells me "Click Finish to close Setup."

When I search under C:\Program Files for "DNG" the only two files found are 1) the old binary at C:\Program Files\Adobe DNG Converter.exe, and 2) a sample file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Samples\Doors.dng .

I thought maybe the Setup couldn't overwrite the Adobe DNG Converter.exe without administrator priveleges, so I renamed it to Adobe DNG Converter.7.3.exe .  Upon re-running the 11.1 install, it now doesn't start anything, and the above DNG search still finds only the two files of before (with the old converter now renamed).

Typically such installs leave an icon on your desktop and an entry in the start menus, but I'm not seeing either.  Start-->Programs-->Adobe shows me the CS4 suite but no DNG converter (not even the old one).  There is nothing else under Start-->Programs starting with A or D that looks likely, such as a directory with a name like "Adobe Utilities" or "Adobe DNG Converter" or any such.

I'm posting in Camera Raw as google searches show Adobe's moved many such DNG Converter questions to Camera Raw.  Let me know if there's a better forum.

Also, just for clarification, will the converter output a DNG file that CS4 can actually read?  Or is this a waste of time?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

I'm afraid i have some bad news and that is the dng converters starting with version 11.0 require 64 bit windows operating systems.

DNG Converter (11.1) Beta with preliminary camera support for various models | Photoshop Family Customer Community

The newest dng converter that runs on windows 7 32 bit is 10.5, which doesn't do you any good since the Canon EOS R was first supported in dng converter 11.0.

I don't why adobe doesn't have a message when you start the installer that your operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it says here  -

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1

This is where my installation is located -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm afraid i have some bad news and that is the dng converters starting with version 11.0 require 64 bit windows operating systems.

DNG Converter (11.1) Beta with preliminary camera support for various models | Photoshop Family Cust...

The newest dng converter that runs on windows 7 32 bit is 10.5, which doesn't do you any good since the Canon EOS R was first supported in dng converter 11.0.

I don't why adobe doesn't have a message when you start the installer that your operating system isn't supported.

I ran into the same issue when trying to install dng converter 11.0 in wine on a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines