• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with dng converter on mac os, from RAF files?

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello y'all

I converted RAF-files from my fuji x t20 camera to dngs with adobe dog converter. They look fine at a first glance but when I zoom into them they show an ugly moiree.

Mac OS El Capitan

Mac mini summer 2010

Photoshop CS 4

dng converter 10.4.0.976

Screenshot

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-22 um 17.58.20.png

Any ideas whats wrong?

Incamera developed images don't show these artifacts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

If the problem is related to CS4 then Adobe won't fix it because that version has been out of production and totally unsupported by Adobe now for a number of years. It will never be fixed IF CS4 is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like to share one of the original RAF files via dropbox or Onedrive so others can give it a try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's a 1:1 section after I converted with DNG converter 10.4 and opened with Camera Raw 10.4:

Capture.JPG

I looked at it at 3:1 (300% magnification) and it was still pretty clean. Didn't show any pattern like you displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your interest Jim. Your'e right: your picture doesn't show the artifacts. What kind of operating system / hardware do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10 and the latest Photoshop as well as Camera Raw 10.4. I converted the RAF using DNG converter 10.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

what happens when you open the dng converted with the 10.4 in photoshop cs4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't have CS4. Can't help you with that one. I CAN tell you that the RAF opens just as clean as the DNG does, if that's any consolation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same with photoshop cs4 and camera raw 5.7, but not with photoshop cc and camera raw 10.4 on mac El Capitan.

photoshop cs4 cr 5.7

cs4.png

photoshop cc 2018 cr 10.4

cc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like if you set Linear in the Custom DNG Compatibility, then the dng opened in cs4 5.7 cr looks like the same dng opened in camera raw 10.4.

cs4-1a.png

cs4-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I had the default setting camera raw 6.6. when the moiree showed up. With the setting "linear" the moiree is gone but then I see other artifacts: "worms". I'm going to try out all possible settings later today. Let you know if one of them works. Thanks for your support!

lienar-setting.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I tried all settings. Setting "linear" ist the only option to avoid the moiree. But with linear I get "worms"

This is very disappointing, when working with a so called "open format" like dng. And I finally found this thread:

Strange Pattern

So this has been going on for at least 4 years. Adobe doesn't seem to be interested in this issue.

Since I'm still not willing to switch to CC I will develop my RAFs to JPGs with the camera built in developer and have a better quality on my JPGs than on the Adobe DNGs. And of course I'll keep the RAFs after being naive and spoiling my first 50 pics with the dng converter and deleting the RAFs. 

Thank you anyway for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem is related to CS4 then Adobe won't fix it because that version has been out of production and totally unsupported by Adobe now for a number of years. It will never be fixed IF CS4 is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's a CS4 issue. Took some time to find out ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS CS4 reduces the image size from 6032 x 4032 to 6000 x 4000. That explains where the moiree comes from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had CS4 for a long time. Can you change the output by clicking on the link at the bottom of the Camera Raw screen?

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, it is not clear to me what you mean.
But I bet when you open this dng I converted with PS CC, Dropbox - _DSF4028.dng

ist won't show any disturbing patterns when you zoom in deeply. Here they show up with PS CS4, so I'm pretty sure that this is a CS 4 issue and there is nobody that will help me with that.

Installed a test version of affinity photo yesterday and everything was fine.

Sooner or later I must update my hard- and software. I hope later.

regards and thanks for your support.

PS: The link above is just a picture with a grey background and whit text on it. I don't know what to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of the Camera Raw dialog, Do you see that line that I provided a screenshot for? If you click on it in Camera Raw 10.4 it's possible to alter the size that will open into Photoshop. I'm wondering if it's possible that you have altered the output to a smaller size and that is possibly what is causing the problem. I don't know because I'm not that technically proficient. It was just a thought. Sorry to have bothered you if this is not relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello again,

Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-25 um 20.47.29.png

I can only change to predefined values. All of them too small. And I have version 5.0 of CR installed. Newer versions don't work.

Thank you anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to update to Camera Raw 5.7. Don't know if it will make any difference, but that is the last version of Camera Raw compatible with Photoshop CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jim,

i installed camera raw 5.7 but it shows no difference. What I can do with CR 5.x: reduce sharpening to zero and rise luminance noise reduction to 80-90%, that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines