• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Camera Raw plug-in update in Photoshop CS6 Portable

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent hours trying to up update the Camera Raw plug in to the latest version as I've a new camera and I can't fathHere are some basics:

• Windows 10
  • PS CS6 Extended (portable)
  • Trying to update to ver 9_1_1 Camera Raw plug-in (this is the correct version for CS6)

I'm able to download the plug in and extract without an issue. This takes you to 'Cameraw_9_1_1.exe file. Running this file is ok too and I can see the numerous camera and lens profiles being installed. They are getting installed here and I've no control over this:

C/ProgramData/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/Camera

C/ProgramData/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0

And you can clearly see each and every camera or lens profile and as expected my camera profile is also shown. The install wizard also states it's been installed.

When I open PS and look Help>About plug in I've two camera raws - the out of date one and the latest 9_1_1 version. But when I try to open a RAW file, it's still telling me I need to update the RAW plug in.

Before I lose my sanity over this, could one of you kind experts please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to correct the install? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

You can do a file search on your C drive for Camera Raw.8bi using File Explorer and get a list of the folders containing the plug-in. On my Windows 10 computer the plug-in is located in Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be necessary for you to manually delete the older version of Camera Raw. You cannot have two versions of the plug-in installed. There is no uninstall procedure for removing the plug-in. Just locate the plug-in folder on your computer and remove the older version of the plug-in. If you still receive the message that you need to update the plug-in, that is an indication that your camera is too new for even that version. What camera (make and model) are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, many thanks for your quick reponse. I'm as sure as I can be that the camera is supported via ver 9_1_1 - It's a Nikon D7200 and I can see the camera profile for this particular camera has been installed, along with many other camera profiles. The $64M question though is what folder to delete!

If I go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats there is 'Camera Raw.abi' file but this doesnt give me any idea whether this is the old plug-in file or the new one! I cant understand why Adobe make this process so hard, I'm not an IT expert by any stretch. I certainly appreciate your help. Do you know where your Raw Plug in folder and camera files are stored by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarity I should add that I can only see the camera and lens files that have been installed when PS is open and I look in these two folders:

C/ProgramData/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/Camera

C/ProgramData/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0

When PS is closed, for whatever reason, you cant see the directory of folders starting 'ProgramData', but I can see this:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats and the 'Camera Raw.abi' file in this folder (but you cant open the .abi file to see what it's about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant Camera Raw.8bi file. sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to see the ProgramData folder, it's necessary to modify your folder options to enable you to see hidden folders. If you don't know how to do that, Google the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, I do know how to see hidden folders, although in this instance I'm not sure that I actually need to see hidden folders, I just want to know :

• which file or folder should I be deleting that contains the old, outdated, version of Camera Raw

As you mentioned previously, you can't have two Camera Raw profiles installed, I have at the moment, so I need to delete the older version.n a nutshell I don't know how to identify this file or folder. I know it's version 7.x.x.x as I can see this info via PS Help > Plug Ins

In a nutshell I don't know how to identify this file or folder. I know it's version 7.x.x.x as I can see this info via PS Help > Plug Ins but I've no idea where the darn thing is located or what it's called.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do a file search on your C drive for Camera Raw.8bi using File Explorer and get a list of the folders containing the plug-in. On my Windows 10 computer the plug-in is located in Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Portable is not an Adobe product, but a counterfeit. bo wonder Afobe updates fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculous comment Test Sreen Name, unhelpful and counter-productive to helping people on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But true. Why should we help with someone using a fake product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem like you know about these matters, and I respct that. I purchased it in good faith and was 100% unaware. When you say it's a fake, do you mean a copy or a reproduction as it certainly doesn't look or operate like a counterfeit product.I'm pretty shocked to be honest and yes I agree with you last remark above in fairness, although I didn't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks JimHess for your invaluable help. I'm up and running using Camera Raw 9.1.1 for my Nikon D7200 in PS and it's opened up a whole new experience of post processing photos, wow! In my work role I need to take pics in some dreadful lighting conditions and quickly, without time to make adjustments, so this has given me much more control after the event. Thank you for your constructive advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines