• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loss of information when converting RAW to DNG

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My question to developers of DNG concerns the DNG format, into which I have been converting all RAW photos, considering that DNG is a complete analogue of RAW. I use Canon equipment.

1. I recently learned that in many photo contests, if a photo reaches the final and claims prizes, confirmation of the rights to this photo (authorship) in the form of RAW files is required, and the DNG format is not considered as such.

2. Once I had a claim about a Canon lens purchased - on specific photos as an example. The support required me to submit RAW files. The DNG files were not accepted by Canon support and I was told that they lacked some important information.

Question 1. Please confirm that when converting RAW to DNG some information is lost, that

a) does not allow to identify the authorship of the photo,

b) does not allow to perform photo equipment service support.

Please indicate which information is being lost.

If the statements written above are incorrect, please give a professional refutation.

Question 2. What recommendations can you give to avoid the problems described above when using DNG?

I believe that these issues are very important for many photographers around the world.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum. Those of us who answer here are just users like yourself. I would suggest that you ask your question on a different forum that is monitored much more closely by the Adobe developers. Hopefully, you will get a more satisfactory response there.

Camera Raw and DNG | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer, JimHess.

I came here from https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html page, where I have not found  anything more appropriate. Could you recommend - on which forum should I ask my questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I provided the appropriate link in my previous response. If you click on that link it should take you to the forum where you should post your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines