• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D800 Definitely NOT Supported in ACR RC 6.7 or in Photoshop CS6 beta with ACR 7

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been my experience that I am unable to view RAW images shot by my new Nikon D800 with ACR 6.7 installed, or with Photoshop CS 6 beta which includes an ACR 7 plug-in. This is true whether I'm shooting in Live View or not.

Anyone else having difficulty with RAW images shot by the Nikon D800?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

I talked to Nikon Tech Support.  Apparently Nikon Transfer as a stand-alone application is old and outdated. The transfer function is now included in Nikon View NX 2. They had me uninstall Nikon Transfer and use the transfer function within View NX2. That allows you to keep the numbering system you're used to, Jim, from Nikon Transfer, it's just that it's now contained in Nikon View NX 2, latest version 2.3.1. My NEFs are now viewable in all software, whether Photoshop, Capture One, etc.My quest

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS do you have?  I'm on a Mac with Lion. The RAW files weren't working until I installed the ACR 6.7 beta.

It works now; however, apparently it's only a trial version and I'll start getting "reminder" messages every day after 5/31/12?  Huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Mac OS X Lion. Neither worked with that release candidate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ACR 6.7 is a Release Candidate and has an expiration date, like all our Release Candidates.  Don't worry, there will be a final version of 6.7 which doesn't give you the reminder warnings.

ACR 7.0 in the CS6 Public Beta does not support the D800.

You need to use ACR 6.7 with CS5 to process D800 files, or use the DNG Converter 6.7 to process the .NEF files from the D800 into DNG files, which can then be opened in ACR 7.0 + CS6 Public Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ACR 6.7 Release Candidate installed in CS5 and it will open a D800 NEF file, but the only profile avaialble is named "Matrix".  Where are the normal camera profiles?  I also have Photoshop CS6 Beta installed on the same computer and I installed it after I installed ACR 6.7 Release Candidate.  I think other D800 camera profiles were availalbe before I installed CS6 Beta.  Did installing CS6 Beta delete the D800 camera profiles?  I have a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer and have both 32bit and 64bit installations of both CS5 and CS6 Beta.  I also had Lightroom 4 Beta installed and uninstalled it after 3/31/12 and do not have the production release of Lightroom 4.  I don't plan on installing Lightroom - like Photoshop, Bridge, and ACR better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please re-install the ACR 6.7 Release Candidate and you should have the extra D800 profiles again. Or you can download and install DNG Converter 6.7 Release Candidate and that will also take care of supplying the missing profiles.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried re-installing ACR 6.7 Release Candidate and even thouth it said complete the D800 profiles were not there.  I then installed DNG Converter 6.7 Release Candidate (I had not installed it earlier) and that did load the D800 profiles for ACR 6.7 Release Candidate in CS5.

Thanks for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the CS6 beta installed along with CS5. When I installed the ACR 6.7 RC, my D800 files don't show thumbnails in Bridge CS6, and won't open via Bridge CS6. If I close down Bridge CS6 and Photoshop CS6, the thumbnails are visible in Bridge CS5 and the D800 files will open ACR from there.

Is there any way to update the ACR installation in the CS6 beta? It seems that the updater only updates CS5 when both versions are installed.

Out of curiosity I just tried to run the 6.7 patch and got the following error log link from the installer:

Photoshop Camera Raw 6.6 Update

Installation failed. Error Code: U44M2P7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet. You can use CS5 + 6.7 RC or DNG Converter 6.7 RC to produce DNG images (from your D800 NEFs) which can then be opened in ACR 7 with CS6. But aside from that you'll need to wait for future versions of ACR 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys...

i have a very similar problem ---

i am really confuesd here..

i have been struggling to get d800 profliles to work in ps 5.1  I have loaded acr 6.7  and DNG Converter 6.7...

the view for me in the ACR window for camera profiles when opening a d800 *.NEF file --

all i see is this...

psd-acr.jpg

i finally figured out how ti find my hidden folders --

the profiles are indeed on my PC HD...

how to i actually, use them?

huge thanks guys!

d800.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what you should be seeing. The profiles listed in that panel can be used to change the "color rendering style." The default is Adobe Standard, but you can choose any of the others listed there as well. It looks like the D800 support is working for you, since you can load an image ...

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok...

so then i do not have to slect the d800???

it somehow does this automatically???

others on other forums -- tell of having to 'select' camera from lists...

so i am a bit confused...

to be clear, this draws camera from the image file info???

then sets the camera for this?

huge thanks

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil,

You don't need to select anything. If you can open your D800 files into ACR 6.7 RC (i.e., you see the ACR plug-in dialog and you see your image) -- then you're all set. The color profiles and relevant data for the D800 are automatically loaded by ACR.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

msp-iggy wrote:

others on other forums -- tell of having to 'select' camera from lists...

ACR is reading the camera info from the image metadata and prefiltering the DNG Profile list for only those profiles relevant to your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe:  I don't quite understand how it is that ACR 7.0 is less capable re the camera raw files it can open than RC 6.7.  In essence they are both betas.  But CS6 beta is supposed to be more advanced, not less advanced than CS5.  For those of us who are running the beta and who have preordered CS6, Adobe is forcing a kludge to open D800 raw files, when it could have been done seamlessly.  Since the profile is already written and included in ACR 6.7, why not issue a patch for ACR 7.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric (MadMan) Chan, from the ACR team, explained why ACR 7 beta supports less cameras than ACR 6.7 RC. My interpretation of what he is that it has to do with software development cycles: because ACR 7.0 is part of the much larger CS6 all of which is new, the functionality (including camera support) of ACR 7 was frozen much earlier than the functionality of ACR 6.7 which is part of CS5.x which is not being updated, much, if at all.

Said another way, because the rollout of CS6 is so important and the development and production, more time was given for internal testing and bug fixing, which pushed back the point where new functions could be added, including new cameras, as compared with PS CS 5.5, the entire development cycle of which was adding new cameras and PV2012 functionality. I would speculate that, Adobe will be releasing ACR 7.1 rather quickly after PS CS6 ships, to help synchronize its functionality with both ACR 6.7 and LR 4.1.

Adobe is forcing you to do nothing. You have chosen to purchase a camera before it was supported. Adobe is being helpful to both you and themselves by releasing betas of products that allow processing of images from your new camera, even if the workflow is not what is ultimately intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation.  I wasn't trying to be snippy but it was puzzling why ACR 7 was more limited than 6.7.   Now I understand, and I hope you are right about a 7.1 coming soon after the release (which is in a week).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received my D800 over the weekend. I am running a Mac with OS 10.5.8 and CS5. I also have a laptop with OS 10.6.8 and Lightroom 4. I installed ACR 6.7 on the desktop but could not get it to recognize the NEF files for the the D800. I received a dialog box stating that "...the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw..." I am concerned that maybe there may be an incompatibility problem with the ACR and the version of the operating system on the desktop (10.5.8) but I was able to get ACR 6.7 to work on NEF files for my older Nikon cameras (D200 or D300) so I am not sure. QUESTION - will I need to update the operating system on the desktop in order to use the new version of ACR for CS5??

I did get the NEF files to work on the laptop with Lightroom 4 but I am less familiar with LR and would prefer to use the desktop since the monitor is larger and of better quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jim,

How did you install 6.7 on your desktop?  Just wanted to be sure you're actually running 6.7 (and not an older version by mistake). 

(No, you should not need to upgrade your OS in this case.)

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the plugin from the Photoshop>about plug-in>camera raw and it said it was 6.7.0.319. I downloaded it from the Adobe website, double-clicked on the icon and followed the instructions (at least I thought I did).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you possibly have 2 camera raw plug-ins installed...there would be to entries in Photoshop -> About Plug-in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only lists 6.7.0.319 from that way - where would I check in the application files, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A: 1.00

B: 1.00

L: 1.004

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you can post a sample raw file that you're having trouble opening?

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do that. Here's a file I can't open in Photoshopeither on a MAC running Lion or a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate, both 64-bit. On second thought, I can't attach a 76 MB file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines