• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE version 6 won't recognise dng files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use PSE 6 and have the adobe dng converter so I can convert the Sony ARW files from my A350 dslr. It has worked well without problems. I recently upgraded my camera to a Sony A68 and whilst the ARW files from that camera convert to dng format in the converter, PSE 6 tells me it cannot open the dng file as it is the wrong type of file, but it still opens dng files converted from the old A350. Is there a work round to this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say which version of DNG converter? You can download the up to date version from one of the links below:

Get the latest DNG Converter Mac  | Win

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to add I'd downloaded the latest version 9.12.1.790 of DNG converter as I thought the reason I was having problems was an older version. It converted the ARW files to dng but PSE6 still wouldn't recognise them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t think why the DNGs are not recognised. Have the files been processed using Sony or third party software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Jon, just downloaded onto my computer and converted in the dng converter as I've always been doing. To re-iterate, RAW files from my A350 convert readily to dng format and are then read by PSE6 . When I first tried to convert the RAW files from the new A68 the DNG converter didn't recognise the, so I updated the converter and the files were then recognised, and then converted but PSE6 still refused to recognise them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

You probably have camera raw 4.6 or earlier in your pse 6.

You can check by going to Help>About Plug-In>Camera Raw (windows) or Photoshop Elements>About Plug-In>Camera Raw (mac).

Up date to camera raw 5.6 and then the dngs should open in pse 6.

windows

Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Camera Raw 5.6 update

mac

Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Macintosh : Camera Raw 5.6 update

56.jpg

sample image from here

Sony A68 Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff. DNG files converted from my Sony A350 RAWs already open in PSE6. I was wondering why the DNG files converted from the A68 would be any different. Are there different types of DNG file? btw Camera RAW 5.5 seems to be the latest update for PSE6. 5.6 seems to be for PSE8. (I'm thinking of giving in to progress and buying PSE15 which will open all my Sony RAWs direct without having to convert them to DNG format.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 5.6 version listed on the updates page works in pse 6 even though it's under pse 8.

Since the Sony A68 is newer, it has more specs that need to be supported in dngs converted from newer cameras

and are not always supported in older camera raw plugins.

One can however set the Compatibility mode of the converter so the dngs work with older camera raw versions.

In your case setting the Compatibility mode to 4.1 and newer before converting the Sony A68 files should enable

them to open in pse 6 without updating the camera raw plugin, but the file size will be much bigger than if you

update pse 6 to the camera raw 5.6 plugin and leave the Compatibility Mode at the Default 7.1 and newer when

converting the files.

conv.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeff. The older versions already work. I currently have it set to 7.1 and later. That said, I've removed PSE6 now and downloaded PSE15  so it's no longer a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines