Re: Camera Raw file open problem

My problem is opening CR3 files from Bridge.  I can open them in Photoshop but not from Bridge.  I receive these messages when I click on images in Bridge..."code execution cannot proceed because manta.dll not found."  and "code execution cannot proceed because icucrnv.dll was not found."

Topics

Problem or error
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

My problem is opening CR3 files from Bridge.  I can open them in Photoshop but not from Bridge.  I receive these messages when I click on images in Bridge..."code execution cannot proceed because manta.dll not found."  and "code execution cannot proceed because icucrnv.dll was not found."

Topics

Problem or error
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
33 Replies

Adobe Community Professional, Feb 25, 2019

Hi ipiny,

What do your Bridge preferences show for Canon images?

It should show Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. If not, than go to the dropdown menu and select the proper application.

Let us know if that solves the problem

2019-02-25_12-15-06.png

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Re: Re: Camera Raw file open problem

Thanks for getting back to me. It does not have cr3 as a choice. It only has .crw and cr2 as options.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi ipiny,

When you open them from PS, exactly where/how do they open up?

They should open up in ACR.

Please let us know

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

They do. They open in PS just as they would if Bridge were working properly.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Using version 9.0.2,219. (And you can call me Robert)

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

OH, and which version of PS are you using? It should be PS 20.0.1 and ACR v. 11.1

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

PS 20.0.2

ACR 11.2.0.135

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Robert.

Um, where are you seeing 9.0.2,219?

Photoshop v. 9 is very very very old.

Also, are you on the Adobe Photoshop Plan or on Adobe Creative Cloud to get new releases of software?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Robert,

Ah, OK, crossing messages.

You might try uninstalling PS and Bridge from the ACC icon at the top of your screen and then reinstalling. There may have been a glitch.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

You're very patient.  Thanks. It doesn't seem to be a PS issue, since I can open the files into ACR directly from windows explorer with no problem, and then into PS.  It's just getting them to open from Bridge that's a problem, and with a folder of over 500 images it's a pain.  But I will give your suggestion a shot, and also try working on these images on another computer to see if it's a workplace computer issue.  Thanks again.  I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Robert

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Robert,

The issue is that something didn't properly load and I do not know from which end it didn't load: the PS end or the Bridge end.

The good news is that this shouldn't take all that much time.

Good luck,

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Thank you.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I’m back. Strange, indeed. On my home computer, all working fine. After updating to latest versions of everything, the first time I clicked on .cr3 image in Bridge it asked if I wanted to open in ACR, after which it all worked as normal. I should add that in Preferences under “File associations” CR3 still does not appear, only CRW and CR2. On my office computer (the one with the issues), I reloaded Bridge and PS CC, still cannot open in ACR by double clicking on image in Bridge, HOWEVER, if I right-click on image and chose “Open in Camera Raw” it works as it should?????

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Feb 26, 2019

Well things are improving! ;>)

Gosh, one things I should have also added: have you rebuilt your preferences in Bridge?

How to reset Bridge preferences?

Restore preferences

1. Press and hold the Ctrl key (Windows) or the Option key (Mac OS) while starting Adobe Bridge. Restore Settings dialog.
  2. In the Reset Settings dialog box, select one or more of the following options: Reset Preferences. ...
  3. Click OK, or click Cancel to open Adobe Bridge without resetting preferences.

This is also a quick process, try it out and let me know.

View all replies

1 Like

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Thanks. I'll let you know tomorrow.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Alas, still no change. I’m curious as to why your screenshot shows CR3 as an option in the “preferences-File Association” section “Canon Camera Raw” and I only see .crw and cr2 on my computers (both of my computers). However, I am still able to bring up ACR when I right-click on image and chose “Open in Camera Raw.”

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Another thing…

The error message I receive when I double-click on a cr3 image in Bridge…

Photoshop.exe-System Error

The code execution cannot proceed because icucnv40.dll was not found Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

The code…..manta.ll was not found…….

Wondering if the fact that it’s identified as a Photoshop.exe –System Error as opposed to a Bridge.exe-System Error is significant?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Feb 27, 2019

Sorry, I can' help you there, I'm a Mac guy. Hopefully a Windows person can chime in here with that kind of support.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi there you two. I am having the same problem as ipiny. Bridge will not launch photos into ACR without right clicking and manually selecting that. This is my first time working with my new EOS R files. Also some files will not show previews but will open in ACR using the previous method. As with ipiny, my Bridge preferences only show .CRW and .CR2. It doesn't show .CR3 like your example. I have all the latest updates via Adobe Creative Cloud application. I also uninstalled and reinstalled using the same application. Nothing is working.

I'm also having trouble with Bridge saying I'm low on memory but I don't see how that's possible. I have a 500GB Solid state running the OS and Bridge and my computer is a new build. This has all happened in the last month or two. So, I'm thinking it's a problem with an update. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy the memory problem but nothing seems to be working there either.

One problem at a time though. This .cr3 problem is unacceptable. I guess I may have to try Lightroom if Bridge will no longer work for me. I don't care for that app though.

Any ideas?  Any help from Adobe on fixing this problem? Gary_Sc, if you don't have an answer for assisting with this since it's regarding a PC, can you direct to someone who can? It's clearly a problem for multiple people.

Thanks!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Interesting. Undoubtedly a bug needing fixing. Standing by.

Robert

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional, Mar 01, 2019

Looks like icucnv40.dll is also used by Acrobat reader. Perhaps because it's a shared file, it is corrupt, but wasn't updated with just a Bridge and/or PS reinstall. You might either need to reinstall Acrobat, PS, and Bridge. Possibly run the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool also. This is just a guess, as it also might be just a bug.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Worth a try. I'll let you know later.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Thanks Chuck,

I don't have Acrobat on my computer. I did uninstall all Adobe apps including the Creative Cloud Desktop Application. Then I restarted my computer, and reinstalled everything and restarted the computer. I'm not getting the memory error yet, but I am still having the issue that I cannot just simply double click on a cr3 file in Bridge and have it open in ACR. It instead asks me to go to the Microsoft store to find an application to open the file.

I will try the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and see how that goes.

Thanks!

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Again, this is just a wild guess. Hopefully it will work.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Alas, it didn't work. Memory issue may have gone away. Time will tell. But the opening cr3 files didn't change. Also, still not showing .cr3 in the preferences - file type associations, only .crw and .cr2.  This seems like an easy fix for someone from Adobe to be able to send out a patch update. Am I wrong?  If so, who do I need to talk to?

Thanks

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

I just completed the process with the same result. I guess we’ll have to wait for a fix.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi guys,

I'm real sorry that you're having these issues. I was hopping that Chuck would have an answer but this apparently is a bigger deal than that.

I do have one more suggestion: convert your images to DNG images.

The process can be done either during the importing process when ingesting the images using Photo Downloader (the icon to the right of the boomerang in the upper left hand region of Bridge. This is very straightforward and will convert during the installation process.

Alternatively, and for images that are already on your computer, use the Adobe DNG Converter

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

You might find some who think that this is a not good process but I completely disagree. I've converted all of my CR2 images to DNG and even when I had a Nikon I did this as well. I've NEVER looked back. For information on the DNG process, see:

https://photographyconcentrate.com/should-you-convert-dng/

Please let me know if this bypasses this issue, at least for the time being.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Gary,
Thank you for offering up help. Unfortunately this is just a temporary solution as you mentioned. I'm hoping Adobe will actually address the issue. I read through the page you linked to and converting to DNG does not seem like something that will really be of use to me at this time. I don't "import" my photos which is part of why I like using the Bridge/PS workflow vs Lighroom/PS. Adding an additional step to my workflow that will take more time isn't really an option right now. It's currently working for me to select all files I want to work on in ACR and just right click then select "Open in Camera Raw". It seems like a minuscule thing, but it is one more step that I never had to do before and I constantly accidentally hit enter and it opens them individually. I'm not sure why there aren't more people having issues with this change.

This seems like the obvious answer but it would ask me what application to open the cr3 file in and take me to the MS store and once I chose Photoshop it now opens but it can't do a group of photos in the same ACR window like it has in the past. Not without right clicking and choosing open in raw.  So, the problem has slightly corrected, but not entirely.  Maybe there's a legacy setting that I need to select?

Thanks

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Tanto,

One quick thing is that the time to DNG is not terribly long. You can set it to do a folder and either wait (if it's a hundred or so) or walk away for a coffee kind of thing (depending on the number of files in a folder). So yes it is an extra step but really not much of one.

Admittedly, I love the DNG format and ALWAYS convert any images I get to DNG to reap all the benefits.

The other thing, and forgive me if you already know this, but if you select one or one-hundred images in Bridge and right-click to "Open in Camera raw..." you are good either way. One of the advantages of this approach is if you have a number of images that need the same generic kind of alteration, you can do it to one, then select all, then apply to the rest. Alternatively if you select all and then start to do the alterations it will automatically process those alterations at the same time to all.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Gary, Yes that is the process in Bridge that I used to be able to do. In the past you could just select the images and hit enter and it would open them all into the same ACR window so you can apply some settings to all. But now you have to right click and do that method I guess. Like I said, maybe I'm being too picky, but I don't understand why something like that would change with an update. It's just adding in another step to a photographers already complicated workflow.

Regarding DNG, I just didn't see any benefits in my business to spend the time doing the conversion. I'm generally working on projects for a very definitive use and wouldn't have a need to come back to them in many years. If so, my archiving and finished files would be sufficient. The only benefit I see is the smaller file size. No more files than I archive it's not enough to justify the extra time for me. Maybe some day the camera manufacturers can all get on the same page and use one system rather than demanding everything be proprietary.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Hi Tanto,

Well, FWIW, I am not having issues on my Mac and it does appear to be a Windows issue. I think (hope??) it's safe to assume that it will be fixed in the next update.

Good luck in the meantime.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Also FWIW, Bridge is working normally for CR2 and ARW files on my Windows 10. Select multiple files, hit Enter, all open together in ACR. (Bridge 9.0.2.219, PS 20.0.3, ACR 11.2)

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines

Elie_di,

Agreed. Bridge still works normally for my CR2 files. So, it must just be a glitch with the new CR3 files. Like Gary said, hopefully they'll fix it in the next update.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

More
Community Guidelines