• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Which CameraRaw version for Sony RX100M5?

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have a SONY RX100M5A and am currently running PSE 15. I downloaded 19 as a trial and found that it also did not recognize ARW files.

Also, I do not know how to download ACR's. It looks like I need version 10.5 according to the list of supported cameras.

Any insight?

Abe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abe,

The most recent version of ACR that can be added to PSE 2018 is 10.3 but you are correct, the version you need is 10.5 (or greater).

Unfortunately, for reasons that I have no clue about), Adobe tends to add updated versions of ACR to PSE at their speed which may not be the speed you'd like.

Until this happens, you can use the DNG converter (Adobe Digital Negative Converter)and convert your raw files to DNG and then run them as desired.

However, it appears that PSE 2018 was released about a year ago which means that if you can continue to work with PSE 15 until the 2019 version is released you'll be in better shape. You will need to use the Adobe Digital Negative Converter to use your new images with PSE 15 as well. But it will work either way.

Does this help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary:

This helps understand the situation and is stated very clearly. That is far superior to Adobe's approach which is confusing and inadequate and in the end leads to no understanding at all. I can see their resistance to immediately updating for all new cameras, but a little predictive info on when a customer can expect compatibility would be much appreciated.

FYI, I downloaded PSE 2019 and found the same inability to read ARW for the Sony RX100M5A. This smashed my mental model that this was just a way of getting me to upgrade PSE. I am left with a choice of waiting or converting to DNG.

Thanks again for your help. BTW, how do I hear about it when they finally release the update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not, nor can I properly guess how and why Adobe does what it does. I say that with both frustration and amusement.

My "guess" is that they wait to release PSE after they've updated the rest of the Adobe CC apps in the hope that you'll convert to something like the Photography plan.* [That is, PS and LR have now updated but you now have to wait... yada yada.] Yes, a bit cynical, but it's just a guess.

I also have no idea when PSE will be upgraded with the latest ACR but I can't imagine it being much longer. I do not follow PSE and have no experience with their release schedules.

* If you like working with ACR be aware that the ACR that you get with PSE is a very pale comparison with the ACR that comes with the Photoshop plan.  Significantly more features. You may want to check it out. Just an FYI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Camera Raw installed with PSE 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got 10.4 in my trial version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That camera model requires Camera Raw 10.5. Try to run an update and see if it will update Camera Raw. I don't use Photoshop Elements, but there should be a Camera Raw update available, it seems to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim:

Stop using logic, it doesn't work with these guys. They are too clever for us. They clearly say the camera needs 10.5+, but they do not make it available. As far as I can tell.

To address your fine suggestion, I tried to update. The update function is grayed out. It will enabled when an update is available. I guess this is their idea of supporting that model of camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, now I'm going to show my ignorance. Here is a link to a webpage where you can download the Camera Raw 10.5 installer. Whether or not it's compatible with PSE 19 is another question because I don't use the program. If you want to give it a try it's up to you.

Camera Raw plug-in installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines