Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retrieving old RAW files when deleted off SD card

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm hoping that I have come to the right place as my issue isn't specifically for Camera Raw but hopefully someone is able to help me. Apologies if this sounds silly!

So I started shooting more last year in RAW on my DSLR but always imported the files onto my MAC directly through the camera (I have since bought a card reader to do this) using the Photos app on my Macbook. This probably sounds stupid but I have just realised that all of my photos, including the photos I shot in RAW imported as JPEGs as apparently the Photos app has trouble importing RAW files. I have since cleared my memory cards which deleted the original image files but what I want to know is if it's possible to retrieve the RAW files even though they're all on my external hard drives and on my laptop as JPEGs? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfectly possible providing you stopped using the memory card after doing the deletions. If you have saved new photographs onto the card then you may have a problem. Below is an article how to do it-fortunately you have a card reader already.

How to recover deleted photos from a memory card - CNET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an easy way to recover photos, music and more from the micro SD card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0u1x0PlFQ0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the raw files are still on the external hard drive, can you not attach the drive and import the raw files from that drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It all depends on how you cleaned your memory cards and deleted the original image files. Very often, deleted or formatted data can still be recovered if it has not been overwritten, meaning if you have not used the memory card extensively after the data loss. However, since your post is from 2018, it is likely that this is not the case anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines