• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The end of hobby photography

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are being forced  to use subscription software.  Having spent many dollars to keep up with the new developments.  I am through.  I cannot believe Nikon who has kept use of the same lens mounts for decades has failed us by creating a new file format (NRW).  They have not kept their idea of continued use of prior hardware and software by this last format.  Why do I have a 20 Meg image sensor when I am forced to edit JPEG images.  I think Adobe, Microsoft, and Nikon, and others are forcing us to use subscription (rental) software and the Cloud.  I ,myself,  have no desire to purchase any new products.  I would love to sell my last purchase.  It advertised RAW files, but failed to say they are incompatible.   ..................I know, BOO HOO.

Windy Hill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's a problem for some that companies have to pay their employees on an ongoing basis but expect those same companies to give them things for free that is produced by those companies' employees who are being paid on an ongoing basis.

Are you suggesting that other people should pay for the benefits you receive?   Professionals have to pay enough so the hobbyists don't have to?  There'd likely need to be some bureaucracy for registering as a hobbyist to prove you qualify for free software, and we'd need to pay the people who perform that licensing function.  Lightroom+Photoshop @ $10/month is half the price of just Photoshop @ $21/month because Adobe assumes more people make money from using PS as graphic designers than photographers and hobbyists do with LR+PS.  Meaning there is already a hobbyist/poor-photographer half-price discount built in.

Are you wanting a pay-enough-once scheme?  Would you pay $5,000, once, for several decades of upgrades with no additional charges?  $5,000 is about 40 years of $10/month.  I'm sure inflation would make the price more than $10/month 40 years from now, if there are even cameras that need raw processing software by that time, probably not.

Are you advocating against money and the freedom it provides, where there is just a central authority that gives everyone everything and assigns everyone their duties throughout their life.  The problem there is that unless you're a government photographer you don't get a camera and LR software because there is no freedom to do what you want.  Basically there are no hobbyists because there's no freedom.

It seems like $10/month is the MOST cost-effective way for a hobbyist to pay for software that isn't requiring others to pay for the benefit you're getting for free.

If you feel Adobe is overcharging for their software then either become an Adobe employee or buy Adobe stock because one or the other or both must be getting rich off of the hapless hobbyists paying their $10/month, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is forced to use the new file formats. There's always the good old standby JPEG. You don't need special software for JPEG images. The photography industry advances just like everything else. If you don't want to follow the technology then don't. Somehow, some of us want all the improvements without any change in file format or software or cameras. We just want things to get better magically. Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. Things change, and change costs money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronatadobe  wrote

Why do I have a 20 Meg image sensor when I am forced to edit JPEG images.

This part I'm not following.

Use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert NRW to DNG then edit the DNG files (with all the benefits of Raw) in your existing software. That's why the DNG converter exists and it is regularly updated to support new file formats from new cameras including NRW.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply.  The only one with a suggestion to help.

On ‎Friday‎, ‎June‎ ‎22‎, ‎2018‎ ‎07‎:‎43‎:‎38‎ ‎PM, John Waller <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

The end of hobby photography

created by John Waller in Adobe Camera Raw - View the full discussion

Ronatadobe  wrote

Why do I have a 20 Meg image sensor when I am forced to edit JPEG images.

This part I'm not following.

Use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert NRW to DNG then edit the DNG files (with all the benefits of Raw) in your existing software. That's why the DNG converter exists and it is regularly updated to support new file formats from new cameras including NRW.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter

Adobe Photoshop CC

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10462209#10462209 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10462209#10462209

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Adobe Camera Raw by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines