Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Canon 7D CR2 raw files in Photoshop CS6

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to open Canon 7D CR2 raw files in Photoshop CS6 (Extended) (Windows 8.1) but I'm always getting the error "Could not complete your request because the file format module cannot parse your file".

I installed the Camera Raw plugin ver 8.8.0.397 today. Did this initially by downloading and running the CameraRaw_8_8.zip available here Camera Raw plug-in installer. Still got the error.

Went and did the Check Updates in Photoshop and updated the Camera Raw (and other components) but STILL cannot open the CR2 files.

I can see the thumbnails in Bridge but when I double click to open them in Photoshop, same error.

Cannot seem to get past the "Could not complete your request..." error.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Doug...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Now that's interesting. Just tried opening up the images in Canon Digital Photo Professional and they seems to work, no problems. That's good.

Now I just need to figure out why Photoshop is having issues...

Cheers,

Doug...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Just a little recap, have you ever managed to read an image taken in raw from this camera?

What is the firmware level of your camera? A few years back, Canon released a new version of the firmware which added many new features to the camera. The latest firmware for the 7D is version 2.0.5

The raw images from my old 7D can still be read by elements.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open in Photoshop raw file of my new camera Canon 7D too, but I open raw of Canon Mark II, it's any problem. System write: "Photoshop Camera Raw 9.1.1 (CS6). Update is not applicable". But I need to work in Photoshop. What must I do??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera, a 7D Mark II or something else? If so the 7D2 needs Camera Raw 8.7 or newer.

What version of Photoshop do you have? Help / About ā€¦ Photoshop

What version of Camera Raw do you have? Help / About Plug-ins / Camera Raw

What operating system do you have on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have  Canon 7D Mark II,

Adobe Creative Suit 6 Master Collection ( = Photoshop CS6) and Photoshop Camera Raw 9.1.1. It's newer than 8.7.

And all it works good with Canon 5D Mark II, but doesn't want work with 7D ((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Help / About Plug-ins / Camera Raw shows 9.1.1 or that's just the version you downloaded that gives the error that it's not applicable?

How long have you had ACR 9.1.1 installed?  If you just updated it, then you should purge your thumbnail cache in Bridge to get it to redo the thumbnails. 

What happens or what error message do you see when you try to open 7D2 raws in PS using File / Open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't figure it out, you might want to supply an example raw that doesn't open.  Upload to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link in a reply, here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2015 Dec 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay then,this thread seems to have stopped without a good conclusion.  I may be a little out of line here and possibly in the wrong discussion, but couldn't find a better one. My issue is not with CS6 but rather the RAW CR2 files from my new 7DII. None of the programs I found can open them as shot.

Here is a sample pic - can anyone open it full screen in ANY program at all?

Dropbox - 4R4A3280.CR2

Now, Canon's DPP4 looks as if the images will open because, after the 2nd Canon Factory repair,  the program displays them as thumbnails, but when the pic is actually opened for editing, garbage. And BTW, it's different garbage on every pic. Corrupt images could be 10% corrupt or 100%, and in different areas of each pic.

The camera has been sent to Canon service in California for the 3rd time. The system board and CMOS Sensor assembly have been replaced and adjusted.

The latest version of DPP4 has been downloaded and opens everything but these corrupt CR2 files.

Converting to DNG to open with many other programs gave the same corrupt image as the original CR2.

Different CF cards by different manufacturers to Canon's specs, and yes, formatted.

Ditto with SD cards.

Different lenses.

Different recording configurations: RAW to CF, Raw to SD, RAW to both.

Different card readers.

Different cables.

Direct into laptop with built-in card reader.

JPEGs are beautiful regardless of which card gets recorded.

Frustration level is maxed out. Can anyone think of another possible thing to do?

Thanks for your time! Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

import your files into Lightroom, on the top ribbon you have an option to convert to dng, then export as a dng into a folder of your choice and the files will open as required in PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just had the same problem after I rented a 7D mark II today.

I installed Camera Raw 9.1.1 installer and every thing was fixed.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Please note is has to be 9.1.1 as it is the latest one compatible with CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines