Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why DNG can't open my new Cam G95?

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Am using Mac, OS El Capitan. I’m using photoshop CS5 and not CC. I used to shoot RAW with a 3 yr old camera GX8, convert the images to DNG and open in ACR and subsequently in CS5. Without converting, I won’t able to open the images at all. So all these yrs I have successfully circumvent the problem.

Recently I purchased a newer camera Panasonic G95, upgraded the DNG converter to v10.5 which is the highest version that EC can recognise. I still can’t open the RAW.

Is the DNG converter v10.5 not developed to recognise this latest camera yet, or I need to go higher version like 11.4? But I can’t install any version more than 10.5

I learned from some articles that I can change the Exif info to lower brand of camera to trick the converter (something like that). Has anyone gone this path successfully? Even if yes, I tried not to do this trick. Still prefer the DNG conversion.

What’s the best course of action whilst retaining my OS and CS5

Worst case, I’m prepare to subscribe to CC but will the latest CC recognise my El Capitan OS as well as G95 cam? This will be my very very last resort. 

Tks for all helps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
It says here that the DC-G95  needs camera raw 11.3 (which would also mean the same version of the DNG convertor)

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Panasonic
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks Dave for quick response.

Ok Tks, saw it

Concerning my last para, can CC support El Capitan and read G95 RAW? How do I get confirmation on this before I jump into subscribing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone taken changing the Exif info route to fool the converter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved post from Photoshop forum to Camera Raw forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The system requirements for CC2019 (v20.0) are macOS version 10.12 (Sierra), macOS version 10.13 (High Sierra), or macOS version 10.14 (Mojave)  https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Currently , a subscription allows you download CC2018 (v19.0) for which system requirements are macOS version 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS version 10.12 (Sierra), or Mac OS X version 10.11 (El Capitan) https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html

The camera raw version needed is 11.3 and both CC2018 and CC2019 are compatible with the latest camera raw which is 11.4  https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

But Camera raw 11.0 is also listed listed as requiring OS 10.12 or upward so it looks like you will need to upgrade your OS to make this work with your camera.
I use Windows so I cannot test for you
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/system-requirements.html

I can't answer your exif question as I do not have the camera or the older versions of DNG /Camera raw loaded
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thks Dave for the very detail guidance and explanation. Upgrading my OS to a point where I need to subscribe to CC will be the very last resort. To be honest, my work does not justify the monthly subscription.

I gonna take one step at a time. Any idea up to which level Mac OS I can upgrade whilst CS5 still operable. Right now my CS5 has no issue at all with El Capitan. And with the upgraded OS would enable me to dn load DNG v11.3. I can’t find a reliable Photoshop compatibility guide with Mac OS. I gone thru quite substantial read on this photoshop forum and CS5 compatibility issue with which highest Mac OS seems not conclusive. It did not specifically nailed and stop at a certain OS.

The missing link am searching, like which min OS can dn load DNG 11.3 is crucial too. Does my thought make any sense? 

Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thks Dave for the very detail guidance and explanation. Upgrading my OS to a point where I need to subscribe to CC will be the very last resort. To be honest, my work does not justify the monthly subscription.

I gonna take one step at a time. Any idea up to which level Mac OS I can upgrade whilst CS5 still operable. Right now my CS5 has no issue at all with El Capitan. And with the  upgraded OS would enable me to dn load DNG v11.3. I can’t find a reliable Photoshop compatibility guide with Mac OS.  I gone thru quite substantial read on this photoshop forum and CS5 compatibility issue with which highest Mac OS seems not conclusive. It did not specifically nailed and stop at a certain OS.

The missing link am searching, like which min OS can dn load DNG 11.3 is crucial too.

Does my thoughts make any sense?

Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me that you have a couple of options. One would be to find a newer computer that would accommodate the newer DNG converter and use it to convert your images that you could then bring back to your computer. If your computer will accommodate the newer operating system then you could upgrade your operating system. If that isn't a possibility, then it would seem that it might be time to consider purchasing a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gd option but that means I need to invest another com. Doesn't make sense to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're of the school that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" then maybe computers in general aren't the thing for you. Operating systems become antiquated/outdated/obsolete. And when that happens new versions of software simply won't function on them because the old operating systems don't have the right tools built into them to run the software. When that time comes, if the computer won't handle the new operating system and you need the new software then it's time for a new computer. If that doesn't make sense to you then you will have to decide how to keep functioning with the old computer. There's nothing anyone can do to solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually even though no dng converters newer than 10.5 will install on mac OS X El Capitan, if you have photoshop cc 2018 you will be still get the latest camera raw updates including the newest 11.4, at least i do here on one of my older macs that can't officially be updated past El Capitan, I was as surprised as anyone after reading the official camera raw requirements for the camera raw 11... series and the seeing camera raw 11 listed as an update and still getting all the latest camera raw updates so far.

I suspect though when camera raw 12 is released, which usually happens when a new photoshop version is released that El Capitan will stop getting new camera raw updates.

cr114.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm..... I saw your OS is 10.11.6 which is exactly same as mine, and your RAW is 11.4. I supposed you are paying CC subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i have a creative cloud suscription for the photography plan which includes photoshop and lightroom for around $10 a month.

I did have an alternate plan that involved using Wine to run the windows version of the dng converter on mac os and that worked great with 32 bit versions of the dng converter, but now that the 11 series of dng converters are 64 bit only, it's proving to be problematic to get the dng converter working right in wine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does it mean to say I can confidently go ahead to suscribe to CC without upgrading my OS? Because any OS upgrade may also involve my other program become inactive like autocad, mirosoft office etc which I’m not willing to pay unneccessary upgrade fee. But as said before CC is the last resort, am asking here for advance info. Also, does CC recognise Nik Collection as plugin which contains Silver Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4 (no indication of version). These 2 programs I used very often and I don’t want to loose them. And which CC version you r using. 2018 or 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 on Windows 10. The Nik Collection is alive and well in Lightroom on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the just released camera raw 11.4.1 update here on Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan running photoshop cc 2018.1.9.

I'd say go ahead and do the subscription for a month and see how it works.

crup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just be aware the the Photography plan, which for many is the best value, is a 12 month plan paid monthly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let's back up a bit. Which computer do you have? Can it be upgraded? You are not getting security updates from Apple, and prices have fallen enough that a 2012 machine capable of running Mojave can be found for around US$3-400.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines