• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

custom lens profile not working

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a custom lens profile for a Canon EF35mm f/2 lens on a Canon 5D Mark III body. I took shots as described in the users guide at two different focal distances and two different aperture settings. I imported the pics in to the lens profile creator and created the profile with no resulting errors - all seemed to go well. However, when I try to apply this correction to any photo taken with this lens/body combination, nothing at all happens. I searched through the forum and noticed someone had posted a very similar question in 2013, but it was never resolved. Any ideas? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for supplying the sample/profile.

Please try the following.

Shoot one focus distance at f8 where the chart fills ~ 1/4 - 1/2 of the scene. If you haven't done so already, set the Rectilinear Lens Model on the Advanced tab in the ALPC to "Three-Parameter Radial Distortion" and the Principal Point to "Best Estimate."

When the profile is complete, manually edit each SensorFormatFactor tag in the profile and set the values to 1. This indicates a full-frame (35mm) sensor.

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you say nothing happens when you apply the profile, can you be more specific?

1. Were your chart shots raw (.CR2) or JPEG? They should be raw since JPEGs might already be corrected in-camera.
  2. Does the profile show up in the lens corrections panel or does it not find a match?
  3. Where are you placing the profile after creating it?
  4. If the answer to #2 is that it shows up but appears to have not effect, does the histogram change at all?

Another option is to post the profile and a sample raw image from the camera somewhere I can download it from (e.g. Dropbox) and have a look.

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

The shots were .CR2 which were then converted to .DNG for the lens profile

creator. The profile is saved in

c:/users/user/appdata/roaming/adobe/cameraraw/lensprofiles/1.0 and after I

created it it did show up in the lens corrections panel. I thought that

applying the correction had no effect, but since reading your reply I can

see that there is a very slight change in the histogram after applying.

This lens has quite a bit of barrel distortion and I thought the correction

would be very obvious when applied as it is with other lenses I own. I

followed the instructions with the lens profile creator carefully, but

perhaps my profile isn't very good as this was my first attempt. I have

uploaded a sample image:

http://www.filedropper.com/ih4c9357

and the profile I created:

http://www.filedropper.com/canoneos5dmarkiiief35mmf2-raw

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for supplying the sample/profile.

Please try the following.

Shoot one focus distance at f8 where the chart fills ~ 1/4 - 1/2 of the scene. If you haven't done so already, set the Rectilinear Lens Model on the Advanced tab in the ALPC to "Three-Parameter Radial Distortion" and the Principal Point to "Best Estimate."

When the profile is complete, manually edit each SensorFormatFactor tag in the profile and set the values to 1. This indicates a full-frame (35mm) sensor.

Regards,

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. I probably won't have time to try this until this

weekend, but I'll post back and let you know the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am interested to know where to find the calibration chart for shooting in order to create a lens profile - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines