• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to uninstall Adobe Camera Raw 10.4?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to uninstall Adobe Camera Raw 10.4 (on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6). How do I proceed ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

The question should be asked, why you're running such an old OS on your Mac.  10.15.x is the current version, I think.  If your Mac is so old it won't support the newer OSes that might be what ACR is having an issue.

Try this:  go to PS Preferences / Camera Raw Preferences (not just PS Preferences) and try turning off the Graphics Processor (GPU) or turn it on if it's off, and see if you can get past the block, although if you have a high screen resolution then you'll likely need it turned on for

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a plug-in. Go to the folder where the plug-in is located and delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where is this folder?

That's what I can not find (hence my question on this forum)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect your question is your trying to fix something you perceive is wrong and have decided that uninstalling ACR 10.4 will fix it, or you'd like to see if it fixes the issue. 

What is the underlying issue or situation that lead you to believe uninstalling ACR 10.4 is a good idea, which it is likely not?

Is it causing app-errors (turn off the GPU in ACR preferences not PS preferences), or are non-raw files you want to open in PS are opening in ACR on the way into PS and you don't want this extra step (turn off JPG, HEIF, TIF file handling in ACR preferences), or are you under the mistaken impression that uninstalling ACR 10.4 will put ACR 10.3 back, which it won't?

If you indeed want to delete the ACR 10.4 plug-in, then rather than deleting it, I'd suggest you rename it to have a name that doesn't end in .8bi (like 8bb or 8bi_) so you can easily put it back in service once you find out uninstalling (deleting) it wasn't the right idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes indeed ACR 10.4 literally blocks my computer when I want to open a RAW file of my D850. Also I would like to install a previous version of ACR.

But I can not locate where this plug-in is located in order to uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question should be asked, why you're running such an old OS on your Mac.  10.15.x is the current version, I think.  If your Mac is so old it won't support the newer OSes that might be what ACR is having an issue.

Try this:  go to PS Preferences / Camera Raw Preferences (not just PS Preferences) and try turning off the Graphics Processor (GPU) or turn it on if it's off, and see if you can get past the block, although if you have a high screen resolution then you'll likely need it turned on for speed, but experiment to see if it changes.

Also, I think the D850 is supported by ACR 9.12.1 and there happens to be an installer for that on this page, so try running that:

Camera Raw plug-in installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks ssprengel. I still do not know how to uninstall ACR but I changed the ACR preferences in Photoshop (turning off the Graphics Processor (GPU)) and now ACR no longer blocks my computer when I open a RAW file of my D850, D3 or D800.

Many thanks to you and thank you for your investment in my problem and to find a solution so quickly !! Again, thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ssprengel,

When I try to run the Creative Cloud Desktop Uninstaller I get the error message, "Couldn't uninstall Creative Cloud for desktop. You still have Creative Cloud applications installed on your computer that require it." I took a screenshot:
Creative Cloud uninstall error messageCreative Cloud uninstall error message

This is particularly peculiar because 1) not a single Adobe-related application was running other than the uninstaller, and 2) I had already run the uninstallers for every Creative Cloud-associate application I had downloaded (namely Photoshop and Lightroom). Here is a screenshot that shows those two application no longer being recognized (as being on my mac) by Creative Cloud:

Creative Cloud interface screenshotCreative Cloud interface screenshot

So what could this Creative Cloud uninstaller error message which prevents me from using the uninstaller talking about?! It is particularly frustrating that "Camera Raw" is being recognized by Adobe Creative Cloud as a standalone application yet it does not appear with an uninstaller in my applications folder; even worse: I cannot find an unstall option through Creative Cloud's interface FOR Camera Raw itself!

As you can see from the screenshot above, I did update "Camera Raw" to see if that would help me find the file and delete it--to no avail. I also updated Camera Raw so as to be sure of downloading the most recent installer per your previous tip--unfortunately running that installer NOT ONLY did not install and uninstaller, BUT ALSO did not register the previous--already and still extant--installation of Camera Raw and preceeded to USE AN ADDITIONAL 1.07 GB on my harddrive! So frustrating!

So, I tried @JimHess's method of finding the plug-in and other "Camera Raw" files. Please where I found those files and that I did delete them from my computer to the best of my ability:
Deleted the pluginDeleted the plugin

and

Deleted a Camera Raw file of significant sizeDeleted a Camera Raw file of significant size

The location shown immediately above (not the plugin location) containd a "Camera Raw" files of significant size (between 400 and 500 Mbs). I moved both this file and the plugin to the trash AND 'immediately' deleted them.

I then tried running the Creative Cloud uninstaller and recieved the SAME ERROR message. When I open the Creative Cloud interface, "Camera Raw" still shows as INSTALLED...

Not only am I still unable to uninstall Creative Cloud, but also I have another, estimated 500 Mbs to 1.5 Gbs of my storage capacity being consumed by this... utter nonsense!

This is an unbelievable oversight by Adobe, and it needs to be addressed quickly. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

Fortunately, when I revisted this thread, the "Related conversations" that popped up had a couple that caught my eye. The one that ended up being a big help was this one:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/cant-uninstall-camera-raw/td-p/10590807?page=1
The "Cant uninstall camera raw" with 5 replies (as of 05/28/2020) posted by joshuaf31716049 on Jul 19, 2019. Skip the comment marked as "Correct answer"––it is not for the situation I was in and go to Akash Sharma's response where he links to "Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems". I was able to use that to remove Camera Raw (and a older, hidden installation of Photoshop or some part thereof that the 'Cleaner Tool' was able to find)... whether it was one or both of these that prevented it before, it was certainly the case that I was ABLE TO UNINSTALL Adobe Creative Cloud... finally. Thank you to Akash (Adobe Employee,  Jul 22, 2019) for posting that link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally! After months of having this software on my computer with no solution it is finally gone. Thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines