• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Virus

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use to have Adobe Flash Player and I received an update saying that I need to download the new version of the flash player. Whenever I clicked download my computer started acting weird. I couldn't get on the internet and whenever I could, I couldn't control anything. I figured out that whenever I had downloaded the new version of Adobe Flash Player that I had actually downloaded a virus that was disguised to look like Adobe Flash Player. I ended up having to pay $400 to get my Mac computer fixed. Whenever I got the virus taken off my computer it took off Adobe Flash Player. I'm taking college classes online and I need Adobe Flash Player in order to do my assignments. I'm afraid whenever I go to download it, I'm going to get another virus. Is there anyone who can notify me and tell me what to do so that I don't get another virus on my computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the official place for Flash Player https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

A pop up message MAY be a false notice at that specific web site, so always use the link above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, because Flash Player is widely distributed, it's a popular target for impersonation by bad actors (see: Phishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)​ .  We have strict and redundant security controls in place to ensure that the software we ship is authentic and free of malware, but that doesn't help if you're getting it from another source.

In general, humans are easier to defeat than modern software security.  Attackers will frequently design fake Flash Player update popups, and many even wrap totally legitimate Flash Player installers inside their malware distribution.  Sometimes they're distributed on perfectly legitimate websites through fake ads, or bugs that allow attackers to post executable javascript.  As the user, you see a legitimate-enough looking dialog, click a button on a third-party website, it takes you to a random website with a download, and you get a working Flash Player with a side of malware.

A couple things that will help you avoid this situation in the future:

• Always download software directly from the manufacturer's website or if it's available, via the AppStore for your operating system, and never follow links in pop-ups or email.

• When you do the installation, check "Allow Adobe to install Updates (recommended)", and let our automatic updater do it's thing. 
    • This will ensure that you have the lastest, most secure version
    • Assume any upgrade notifications that you get are sketchy.
    • If in doubt, open a new window and type in the URL above,  This holds true for other software as well.  Don't follow links to downloads.  Use Google or another trusted source to ensure that you're not getting an impostor distribution.

• Use a browser that bundles Flash Player as a built-in component, like Google Chrome, or IE/Edge on Windows 8 and higher
    • There's nothing separate to download or install.  It's pre-packaged, and the browser or operating system handles the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines