• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use Flash Pro. No way the minor* updates to that application justify a yearly $240 rental fee!!

IMO, this is a ridiculous plan, no doubt fueled by corporate greed.

* Although to be fair, the mac "C7" version has ungone a total 64-bit rewrite, historically, the major updates have only brought about minor feature enhancements. Previously, not a big issue as the upgrade fee was much more reasonable though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gtr wrote:

I only use Flash Pro. No way the minor updates to that application justify a yearly $240 rental fee!!

Don't forget you can carry on using your perpetual CS6 license. And if you don't have one, they're still available for sale. Then you can reconsider the options a few years down the line when CS6 no longer meets your needs.

I understand that it's not a popular decision for everyone, and I don't work for Adobe so it's no good complaining to me.

But all this talk about having to look for alternatives... your software you've bought and paid for hasn't just exploded or ceased to work!  We each have a choice - on one hand, there's the status quo. Your CS6 software is working great right now and you can continue using it.  On the other hand, if you want the new features they've created, the subscription is what they're offering to sell you.

In most cases, CS6 is the industry standard right now, and that's unlikely to change quickly.  If they want to maintain their membership customers, they're going to have to continue improving, otherwise other software will come snapping at its heals soon enough.  At this point there's nothing worth jumping ship for.  If you don't want to pay the subscription, that's fine, but why not just hold fire and see what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The discussion is not, if the good old cs 6 is good or not. And if one can use it in future.

The discussion is, if this new distribution model makes sense.

And I also thik, adobe is abusing his monopol.

I WILL NEVER ACCEPT A LICENSE MODEL LIKE THAT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria Bampton wrote:

gtr wrote:

I only use Flash Pro. No way the minor updates to that application justify a yearly $240 rental fee!!

Don't forget you can carry on using your perpetual CS6 license. And if you don't have one, they're still available for sale. Then you can reconsider the options a few years down the line when CS6 no longer meets your needs.

I understand about supporting the developer. And would like to support the efforts to keep a particular piece of software alive and moving forward. But with CC, it feels like Adobe is exploiting the customer's reliance on their software ("holding them hostage", as some have put).

There's a principal involved, forcing people to pay for upgrades they may not need (once they're enrolled in CC). It's a bad business decision, plain and simple. One that has shaken my faith in Adobe to the core.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria Bampton wrote:

gtr wrote:

Don't forget you can carry on using your perpetual CS6 license. And if you don't have one, they're still available for sale.

will Adobe fix AVCHD bug? Premiere in CS6 just doesn't work as it is supposed to be... and Adobe already took our money for it and it just doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but will CS6 work with Windows 9 a few years down the road, or a new

Apple OS that's probably in the works? Will it continue to support RAW

files from cameras not yet designed? I suspect for anything two years out.

So your statement that "it hasn't exploded" is true, but the fuse is lit and

burning and in a few years my bought and paid for CS6 license will be

rendered useless.

So here are the options.

1) Milk CS6 till it no longer functions with new gear or OS's and then

decide what to do

2) Keep encouraging Adobe to re-think this misguided move by not buying

into it. If Adobe Revenue for CS products drops precipitously for a few

quarters in a row, the shareholders will certainly have something to say

that will be listened to. After all, we're just lowly customers. I don't

know if the genius who thought up "New Coke" in the 80's was fired or not,

but the market spoke pretty loudly and within 5 months it was gone and the

old Coke (re-branded "Classic") was back. We can only hope the same thing

happens here.

3) Start looking for an alternative to the CS product line. I'm sure

there are plenty of good products out there that, with this opening, have a

shot at going head to head with the 300 pound gorilla in the room. Up till

now those companies didn't have a prayer going up against the likes of

Photoshop and Illustrator. But if enough people are as PO'd as I am, there

is now an instant market that did not exist yesterday that is very eager for

someone to come in and fill.

4) Stick your tail between your legs and break out the credit card.

For me, I'm betting on numbers 1-3, but not 4.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to be claiming that "an overwhelming majority" likes this new policy! All the forums and comments I have read show the opposite.

A petition has been started to show Adobe what we think. Please sign it if you are not happy with the new model:

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-su...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Califdan wrote:

Yes, but will CS6 work with Windows 9 a few years down the road, or a new

Apple OS that's probably in the works?  Will it continue to support RAW

files from cameras not yet designed?  I suspect for anything two years out.

So your statement that "it hasn't exploded" is true, but the fuse is lit and

burning and in a few years my bought and paid for CS6 license will be

rendered useless.

Dan

I cant speak for Windows 9, since it hasnt been announced yet, but we do plan to add support for CS6 for the next full releases of Windows and Mac.

You can find info on Camera RAW support in CS6 at:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/adobe-camera-raw-8-support-for-photoshop-cc-and-phot...

--

Because Adobe is still selling Photoshop CS6, those customers will continue to receive updated camera raw file format compatibility via Adobe Camera Raw 8.  When we update ACR8 with new camera support, Photoshop CS6 customers can work with the new version of the Camera Raw plug-in.

--

Hope that helps clarify...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue for people who elect to stay with CS6 is that there will eventually become a gap for creatives who wish to collaborate with those who have moved to CC because they won't be able to open the newer versions of the document files. Downsaving or using interchange formats doesn't work in a collaborative environment.

For those who don't want to move to CC because of the uncertainty surrounding the ability to open your own files after you cancel your subscription this becomes a very hard decision if you want to stay relevant in the industry.

For those who aren't sure what their income will be like some years from now, but still wish be able to use Adobe software and stay relevant in the industry this is a hard decision.

In politics this would be called wedge politics.

As someone who has so far decided to saty with CS6, I am worried about the numbers that adopt CC. So far none of teh CC advocates have told me how they will handle the end of their subscription. Do they not care about the above issues, or do they have a plan to deal with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Corel has picked up on all this, see their blog today: http://corelblogs.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/corel-is-all-about-giving-users-choice/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow my link mysteriously has a space in it.  Someone at Adobe sabotaging that link? Hmmmm, let's try again

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-su...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ccoggin wrote:

Somehow my link mysteriously has a space in it.  Someone at Adobe sabotaging that link? Hmmmm, let's try again

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-t he-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

No, we don't do that. Feel free to speak your mind, as long as you abide by our community guidelineshere: https://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Feel free to speak your mind.

Upon deaf ears (Adobe) ? Well I shouldn't say that, I am sure Adobe will listen long enough to re-spin the marketing campaings to try and get more subscribers amidst the backlash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the bottom line is that the idea of having to rent your software is horrible. Its not just a problem for the hobbyist. Check out Trey Ratcliffes blog post on the subject. https://plus.google.com/105237212888595777019/posts/SWm6e2WDQdx. Is it possible to get an official response from Adobe? Something like an apology?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the message Adobe will listen to is stock price. If Wall street

sees this as a threat to earnings and the stock price takes a dive I'm sure

Adobe will re-think. This could happen quickly or it may take a few

quarters of diminished sales revenue. But, on the other hand, if revenue

on these products continue to meet (or perhaps exceed) analyst expectations

over the next quarter or two and the stock price holds, Adobe will have no

reason to retract this decision and this will be thought of as a wise

decision.

Our part in this is to keep up the "backlash" and encourage the market (you,

your friends, their friends, etc) to reject this and not buy into the CC.

Do this by getting on Facebook and Twitter and making your case. This is

not a customer service issue, this is a profit and loss issue. If it turns

out to be profitable it will stay and expand (how would you like to have

lease instead of buy your camera and always have to bare the cost of the

latest top of the line model?), if it turns out to be a financial loss it

will be quickly abandoned.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get on Twitter and let's get this to go viral. Use hashtags #adobe

#creativecloud #creativesuite #AdobeCCDisaster. Tweet often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that this link has been copied upteen times and the original was incorrectly posted with that space. I recognized immediately it as a mistake at the original source. I was going to post it myself, but was afraid it was against forum terms.

Here is the correct link: https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

No, we don't do that. Feel free to speak your mind, as long as you abide by our community guidelineshere: https://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

I have seen others talking of getting their posts censored and also deleted, it has now happened to me as well.

Serious Adobe, the propaganda machine goes that far as to edit/delete information of others posts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will stay on current version as long as possible and then switch to other software in 3-5 years. Perpetual license software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Adobe has just decided to price me out of their software.  I only need/want access to Photoshop and After Effects.  I have never needed access to the full suite. I don't always need/want all the updated tools, some are things that just don't apply to my work every day.  I've been happy updating every 1-3 years.  Adobe is clearly not happy with me updating on my schedule.  Great, I get a discount for the first year of CC and then jacked up pricing after that. Sure, I can turn an account on and off (yay subcriptions!!!! -insert sarcastic tone)  No thank you.  I do understand that software development is costly. I will pay for worthy updates when I need them or have to.  Offer an ala carte option (I pay for the 2 apps I need, not the full suite) and I might reconsider. But at this point, I'm glad I've been investing in alternitives for the last few years.  Like the previous poster, I'll keep using my licences until Adobe cuts me off (probably by the end of the year at their current rate).  Then I'll happly spend my $$ elsewhere. Waiting for Corel to offer their insentive for me to jump over in the next few days.

Nice job Shantanu. Just because you say I will love CC over and over, does not make it true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corel on their website is offering Photoshop users  the option of purchasing Corel products as an upgrade rather then full price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TandemBob wrote:

Corel on their website is offering Photoshop users  the option of purchasing Corel products as an upgrade rather then full price.

True.  But many Adobe Creative Suite users have more than Photoshop.  I did see that they had a suite, and offered a deal for CS users, but I don't think they have the depth of applications (I'm guessing, I have not fully explored Corel's web site).  Who's to say Corel won't go "cloud" next year?  Of course the future is uncertain, nothing is guaranteed. I'd be interested in hearing some input from those who have gone the change to Corel (or a suite of Corel).  Some current Adobe projects may not be able to be worked on in Corel, they do have their own extensions making them application dependant.

Time will tell...

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I know is that  with CS7,8,9, and X - Adobe would have received my business.

With CC, Adobe will get $0.00 from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines