• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Launch InDesign

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Indesign CC on my new iMac 10.13.1 but Indesign do not open. This dialogbox appear:

'Unable to launch Adobe InDesign as you lack sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders. Ensure that you have appropriate permissions and then restart Adobe InDesign.'

Whats wrong...?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Hi all, I was running in to the same issue, and followed the directions exactly. However, after uninstalling and reinstalling, there was not an Adobe InDesign folder in Caches. InDesign would still not open. Then I realized that the Caches folder didn't have the correct permissions and the user was not listed. Once I added the user to the Caches folder with Read & Write, InDesign opened up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe uninstall InDesign using the drop-down in the Creative Cloud app (see screen shot) and then reinstall again.

uninstall.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found several threads about this issue but they all appear to be related to running CC 2018 on Windows. I would suggest following Derek's advice to uninstall and then reinstall from the desktop app. But before you do I would make sure that you first delete any old preference and cache files that you may have on your computer to make sure that you are starting from a completely clean program.

To delete preferences on a Mac:

With InDesign closed Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

To delete cache files on a Mac:

With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change.

Also when you reinstall make sure that the option "Import previous settings and preferences" is unchecked in the Advanced Options that will appear during the install. Even though you would have already removed any old preferences this is a case of possibly erring on the side of caution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I have tried it all and even installed a 2015 version of indesign.

But still the dialog box appears and I can't open indesign...

Skærmbillede 2018-01-03 kl. 13.39.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point it would probably be a good idea to contact Adobe Customer Support so that they can run you through some diagnostic tests that a user to user forum such as this will not be able to provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH! it worked! the IT department said they couldn't help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I was running in to the same issue, and followed the directions exactly. However, after uninstalling and reinstalling, there was not an Adobe InDesign folder in Caches. InDesign would still not open. Then I realized that the Caches folder didn't have the correct permissions and the user was not listed. Once I added the user to the Caches folder with Read & Write, InDesign opened up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you give the Caches folder permissions and the user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a step by step walkthrough- I followed this page and finally got Indesign to open after trying to solve this for 2 weeks. Good luck!

Unable to Launch Adobe as you Do Not Have Sufficient Permissions - What's What With Walt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed all the instructions in the above link, uninstalled and reinstalled ID and restarted several times and I still am getting the error message. Had issues with Illustrator too after latest updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more information to help: Exact version of InDesign, operating system version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Mac OSX High Sierra v 10.13.5

Running (or rather not running as case may be) Indesign CC 2018 and illustrator CC 2018 (latest versions updated via CC Application)

Everything was running fine until yesterday when I updated OSX and CC Apps. Couldn't get into anything on my MacBook yesterday at all - finder was hanging and Illustrator wouldn't open any files and kept throwing up iCloud error - disabled iCloud Drive this morning and now can get into Illustrator and files (even though it seems half my fonts aren't working or recognised now). Still can't open Indesign - get the permissions error message. Set up a Root User account and can get into InDesign that way but won't let me reinstall fonts.

Extremely annoying as am in the middle of a production run fr a client that I need to deliver tomorrow (sods law the fonts I've used are now unrecognised).

Any advice gratefully received!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finally got back in but had to change permissions for Everyone to Read & Write - presuming this has made my MacBook less secure but only solution I've found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS HELP OH MY GOSH I OWE YOU MY LIFE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I was stuck on this for a couple of hours then had that "a-ha" moment, realizing the reason Adobe InDesign isn't in that folder is because the user couldn't write to the Caches folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for leaving the comment on how you resolved it. After spending a day hunting down a solution this one finally worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were months that I could not solve: thanks joeya77043511, you're the number one, I finally solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 7 people have so far responded that the issue was permissions for the cache folder, as a moderator, I've marked that as the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, I think it's important to also include exactly how to give those permissions to the proper folders–I came across this problem myself and was stumped as to how to actually implement the solution! After struggling with Indesign for 2 weeks i finally came across this page which gives a step-by-step walkthrough to get Indesign back up and runnning. Good luck!

Unable to Launch Adobe as you Do Not Have Sufficient Permissions - What's What With Walt 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU aaka1254086 so much for the clarification here! I was stuck, seeing the solution but not having the actual steps to execute. Your final comment to the tech at Adobe was my saving grace. It did not work until I followed the steps he provided (but on the Cache folder which he left out, but you mentioned.) Phew! Back to a pile of work that could not wait another minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I also had to open permissions for the "Cache" folder in Library too (as well as the other folders mentioned above). That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow thanks, this is so helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi..can you help me solve this issue...i've installed the 2020 indesign version..but i get this error message..
do you know if i can go back the the 2019 version ?!Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 17.22.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

solved..no need to answer !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines