Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 bug: brush cursor display is incomplete

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CS4 under WinXP, 4G RAM.

I've set my brush cursors to show full size. The cursor displays correctly for brush sizes up to about 150 px. Beyond 150 px, the circle representing the brush size gets truncated: at 170 px, it's down to a half-circle, at 200 px it's down to one-third of a circle, and at 300 px all that remains is a small curved line segment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 224 Replies 224
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's annoying - does it do it to custom brushes too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this problem by updating my graphics card drivers (nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>That's annoying - does it do it to custom brushes too?

Yes. It's an issue with how the brush "texture" overlay does not work within a given memory tile. You can also see white fringes on the cursors on systems that show this behavior, as obviously it also affects transparency blending. Maybe some day a patch will give us back the option to do this properly on all cards... *sigh*

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has everyone else seeing this issue updated their display drivers? Please do so, and then post if it solved the problem or not - and post what specific video card you're using. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2008 Oct 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVidia has released a new driver - please try that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tina. I upgraded my Master Suite last evening and have the broken cursor issue. I'm running the newest Nvidia driver (178.26) on a Quadro FX 4600. Are there any particular settings / profiles that should be adjusted within the driver control panel to remedy this? The issue makes it pretty difficult to use the software.

*Update* The issue seems to occur when Photoshop is on my secondary monitor (Cintiq 21ux). The primary display does not seem to have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brush Cursors are clipped when larger than 64px. This is one of the known issues with CS4 using the GPU reported by Adobe. They will likely fix it in the 1st patch.
Regards, MM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's rubbish i.e.clipping - my brushes never really go below 150 pixels - I will be really annoyed if I see this issue with my 8800gts 640mb card and cs4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue, which NVidia is working on. If the most recent driver doesn't solve the problem, keep checking for new drivers.

Dave - I'll pass this on, but you might want to let NVidia know that you're using a Cintiq. That sort of thing always complicates matters. ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>chris farrell:That's rubbish i.e.clipping - my brushes never really go below 150 pixels - I will be really annoyed if I see this issue with my 8800gts 640mb card and cs4.

Just a data point. I do NOT have the clipping problem in either 32bit or 64 bit PS CS4 on my system: Vista Ultimate 64, Q6600@2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9800GTX+ with 178.24 drivers, 2 SamSung SyncMaster 225BW monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers CR Henderson

My cs4 has been shipped so I will find out tomorrow - I'll report in after I've installed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2008 Oct 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that`s funny, that problem is even visible in nvidia`s own presentation at:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_photoshop.html
Go to "brush rezising" there. If you look carefully at that video you can see that the brush circle is only half visible when it is big!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'sigh' finally it has arrived and is installed - no brush problems and everything seems good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded latest NVIDIA driver and cursor is now working.

Onward to new bugs/features of CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2008 Oct 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem with the cursor beginning to disappear around 200 px. I've finished downloading and installing an updated nVidia driver to no effect.

This problem occurs whether Open GL is enabled or not.

I'm running Windows XP and did not have this problem with CS3 or any prior version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2008 Oct 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on the secondary monitor.
Latest Nvidia drivers installed (6.14.11.8043).
Evident bug.

Geforce 8800GT (512 Mb) on board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I wanted to emphasize that the larger the cursor gets, the more of it disappears, to the point that you're only seeing a sliver of it - which makes it pretty much UNUSABLE because you can't see where you're drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact NVidia with details of your card and system so they can fix the bug in the appropriate driver for your card and OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But... it's a laptop, and not a real popular one, with built-in video.

I suspect it will be far easier and quicker to buy a new laptop than to get nVidia to fix the problem.

Meanwhile, CS3 and all prior versions of Photoshop did not exhibit this behavior. Is there no way that Adobe could fix the problem instead???????????????

Has Adobe just cost me the use of my laptop for editing???

(not very happy at the moment)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I suspect it will be far easier and quicker to buy a new laptop than to get nVidia to fix the problem.

you'd be surprised at how bad those guys want to stay on top of reported bugs. there's a great rivalry between them and ati. both take bug reports VERY seriously and act quickly on them.

> Is there no way that Adobe could fix the problem instead?

not if it's nvidia's problem. and if chris says it is, it most likely is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't doubt that there might be a bug in the nVidia driver. But Chris' recommendation aside, it would be CS4 that "turned on" this feature that CS3 never needed to use.

Some important points (from my posts) to remember:

1) This "bug" appears regardless of whether I enable acceleration in CS4. (which means CS4 even without acceleration turned on is doing something different from what CS3, CS2, CS or any of the other prior versions did)

2) I have already upgraded to the latest nVidia driver (well, the latest I could find, it is from August 2008).

My biggest problem is that the last time I contacted nVidia they told me that they don't support my laptop and that I have to go to the laptop manufacturer.

Indeed, if you look on nVidia's website, my video is _NOT_ listed on their website (GeForce Go 7700). The only way I was able to find a driver at all was by scouring the internet and finding a third party that was hosting it.

So the chances of nVidia doing something about it? I'd say are nil.

In the mean time, I have a broken cursor for anything other than editing small details. From my perspective, I have a broken CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> From my perspective, I have a broken CS4.

David, if Chris says it's nVidia you have every reason to believe him.
He's always been quite honest here and it's very good to have him back.

The fact that you got this driver from a third party doesn't sit too
well, either.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>My biggest problem is that the last time I contacted nVidia they told me that they don't support my laptop and that I have to go to the laptop manufacturer.

guess what your next step is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines