• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jagged edges when scaling down and rotating Smart Objects (with ALL interpolation modes)

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I scale down and rotate a Smart Object, I get subtle but significant aliasing. This does not occur when I do the same thing to a regular raster layer, nor does it seem to occur when only scaling or only rotating the Smart Object.

I created a gif comparing the results with a graphic that has been scaled down and rotated, one as a raster layer and the other was a Smart Object. 

photoshop_smart_object_aliasing_v2_gif.gif

Here, the raster layer produces the expected results (clean, slightly soft edges with little aliasing). But the Smart Object produces small but significant stair-stepping, even though it should, in theory, produce identical results. This problem occurs no matter what interpolation method I select in Preferences. These examples were both scaled down using Bicubic Smoother, which produces the least bad results. When using Bicubic, Bilinear, or Bicubic Sharper, the problem is worse.

The graphic being used is of a high resolution (6000x9330) and it is being scaled down by nearly 50%. This should be more than enough to produce smooth edges (and, in fact, it is—when scaled/rotated as a normal raster layer). Am I missing something?

System information:
2018 Retina MacBook Pro
Intel Iris graphics
MacOS Catalina 10.15
Photoshop CC 20.0.7 (though this affected at least two versions before it)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing the image on screen at 100%?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 2022 and I still waiting a solution for this issue...

Anyone??? ADOBE??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still an issue in 2022 with version 23.2.2. I fixed it by changing to 32 Bits/Channel (Image > Mode). It might mess with your opacity/fill/blending mode. Save as JPG is now disabled, so you have to export as JPG instead via Export > Export As. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you've replied to the wrong question here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a bad bug with SOs that's since been fixed. I think what you're seeing was that bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just updated to the latest version two days ago and I encountered the bug today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines