• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2020 is lagging/freezing LOADS and other gripes

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded PS 2020 without realising (I just thought it was a bug fix update via CC) and wish I hadn't. 

I work on very large images with many layers with a Wacom and need it to be responsive. I work all day every day of the week in PS on Wacom on my Win10pro laptop with i7 7700 (delidded @4.20), 64gb RAM, GTX1080, PCIe SSDs, 30" Dell (DP) and have noticed numerous lagging/hangs since updating to 2020. I let PS access about 70% of my 64GB RAM (and yes I have tried restarting PS but still occurs).

It has happened whilst painting with the brush tool on quite a few occasions. PS essentially freezes for 5-10 seconds then 'catches up' and slaps all the brush strokes down in a second. During this hang, I can move cursor around but the cursor icon doesn't change when rolling over things, and I cannot select anything or access any menus. PS is totally unresponsive during this time. Other apps on my machine work fine during this time so it is defintely PS. This lag has happened when using other tools too. Only since 2020 update. 

Why oh why are there always so many bugs when a new version is released? Do you guys QA *at all*? I work in the film industry and this kind of 'seemingly untested' product release is not fair on us who rely on consistent performance and stability with quick turnaround times and deadlines. We're not your QA guinypigs. 

I've also noticed a constant lag (with skipping cursor) when using the liquify tool, which worked fine before 2020.

Also custom keybindings for brush size do not work in Liquify and the defaults must be used...this has always existed as far as I'm aware. Again, poor QA. It's a simple test for a popular tool.

Another gripe I've had since the previous horrid release (2019) - Is that when transforming, the cursor now deactivates the transform function if clicked a short distance away from the transform box!! It should remain as a rotate cursor no matter how far from the tranformation box! This is infuriating and a gripe shared by my industry peers. Why did it change? It makes no sense and doesn't allow for fine-tuning the angle position from a greater distance. 

Lastly, what is with the colour picking sticking upon first click? It sticks, then stays on the same colour until the cursor is moved drastically away? There is no options to change this that I can find so I assume it is a bug. It happens when using a mouse too, so not linked to Wacom or Ink.

I really need this lag fixed though. Is it possible to revert to 2019 if using CC to update?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here, I've reverted to the previous option until this is sorted out (which you can do BTW, thank goodness!)  You could understand these issues if the software was shareware, but when you pay a hefty monthly subscription, such a 'buggy' update is frankly unnacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue too.

It's not just with photoshop, but Animate as well. It's disgusting to use now, and my projects are now taking me way longer to finish because of all this lagging and freezing. 

Not to mention the sudden crashes that I come across WAY to often now with this new update. 

The layout looks much cleaner, but I can't work with all the sudden "Unknown error. Closing application. Save changes?" only for it to crash when I hit "save" and lose all my unsaved work anyway. 

Thank god for being able to roll back to a previous version. This is atrocious for a product bundle I pay hundreds for each year. I'll be turning off the "auto update" feature for the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush delay is most likely the video driver. A buggy driver can do this. Perhaps the Wacom driver. Or both.

Try to update, or roll back to a version that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse - as far as I'm aware PS doesn't use the GFX card for brush strokes. Pretty sure its CPU driven. I'll try updating my GFX drivers nevertheless, which i do regularly anyway.

I just updated PS2020 with the update this morning, but the bug still occurs. It hung for 15 seconds whilst using simple brushstrokes on a PSB that's not even half my usual size. 

EDIT - new GFX drivers didn't help. Happens within 5 minutes of opening PS. All other drivers (Wacom etc) are up to date. I mainly use PSB files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is a laptop, chances are the manufacturer has installed tons of "helpful" apps and utilities beyond the bare operating system. Go through it all and uninstall/disable everything you don't need. Something on your system is causing this. I have a 7700K Win 10 pro desktop with a Quadro P2000 video card, and I'm not seeing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a custom desktop-replacement laptop with a desktop motherboard and desktop delidded CPU inside, made by Schenker. They don't bloat. 

PS2019 works fine with the exact same laptop. It's not the laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here! I just spent over an hour with an Adobe Professional who took ove rmy screen and tried to "help". The tech support is perfectly nice except there is never any real help. They reset prefrences, clear the cache and poke around for an hour doing all the things that not only I have done tons of times but that other Adobe tech support has done countless times. I sttate this in every tech support conversation - that a previous agent has already done all these things. Yet every time we go through the same pointless, tired, time-wasting excersise to no avail. Still no sdolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens have a look at Resource Monitor in Windows via Task Manager. I had the same thing happen yesterday with catchup strokes and it was Wacoms Touch driver that had maxed out my ram. Had to stop start the service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Wacom works perfectly fine with PS2019 so it would be very strange that it's their driver behaving differently in PS2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reverted back to previous 2019 version (20.0.7), as the new 2020 version kept freezing on me - or at least the lag time was so bad it felt like it was freezing! Couple times I couldn't even force quit! Transform tools, especially free transform, were a problem, but dragging an image over from Lightroom also made it seize up, as did using the selection tool or any number of simple tasks. I'm on a Mac running on latest iOS, by the way. Hoping reverting back will help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried PS2020 again today. Working on the same large PSB file with moderate amount of layers, using same tools and working style:

- in PS2020 - lots of constasnt freezes, lagging, my computer sounds like it's going to take off (fans going wild) and entire computer slows down.  Resource Manager shows the CPU isnt even over 55% for all computer processes, but shows that my disks (PCIe SSDs) are being murdered with read/write.

- In PS2019 - absolutely fine. Nothing slows down. Fans are barely audible. Disks not being murdered. Doing the same work on the same file.

Is Adobe going to address this? It's a stinker of a release as it stands. Looks like either a mem-leak (as it does seem to get progressibly worse) or it's trying to constantly save the file in the background all the time or something. Either way it's unusable. Shame as the new features sound cool.

I also found a bug where paste-in-place doesn't actually paste in place. Can't be bothered to write it out right now though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update! As I said before -I worked through these same issues with a Adobe Rep, no progress, no solution. I agree that unfortuantely PS as-is is completely unusable. 

I hope that this gest attention soon. I feel like the constant "delete your prefrences file" response to all problems is so dissapointing and a huge waste of Adobe's and our time. Insult to injury type of thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you check if legacy compositing, in the preferences>performance section fixes the delays? (restart PS)

There is always some work done behind the scenes, so there might be a change in the new compositing engine that slows you down. Does it happen on masks, layers, with transparency, with some kind of brushes only, is the image size a parameter?

It would be good as well, to go to hppts://feedback.photoshop.com and post/search for similar threads (I've seen 2 or 3 about performance), and do remember to break down your request individual threads, as that site is more geared towards bugs and requests, and is monitored by Ps staff, while this one is less closely watched, as it is more geared for user-to user communication.

When you do so, please elaborate on all your findings, as for the scratch disk (it might be important in this issue, if different from the scratch activity in 2019)

For the requests or "workflow" bugs, please be verbose, explain the clicks wasted, the workarounds you need to have, the number of times you miss an simple operation (for the rotate, for instance) A screen capture or a video can help you make your point.

That way the issue will reach the team faster, and if it is possible, that an update might be there faster to fix the bad experience you have currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working for mobile I need to be able to open and edit reasonably low res images quickly, but switching between tools like brush, lasso and move tool will freeze Photoshop, I've waited a few times but this happens too frequently so I am constantly having to kill the program only to have it do the same thing again another 10 minutes later. Having to kill photoshop now sometimes up to a dozen times a day, with the tools I mainly use I don't see a reason for sticking on 2020 when the last version worked perfectly well for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep it seems to be a clunky mess and I haven't seen any official statement. Seems liek they have a mem leak or something! It needs fixing and I can't quite believe they've not even aknowledged it. 

I'm using 2019 as it's stable but those new features in 2020 would really help my work flow so I really want a fix ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone with problems in 2020 that weren't there in 2019 - first of all try to reset your preferences. The installer now gives the option to migrate all your preferences from the previous version, and I wouldn't be surprised if this causes problems. The prefs file is a complex beast, and corrupt preferences can cause all kinds of completely unpredictable behavior. Especially when they're moved from one version to a different one with a lot of different functionality (which of course is the whole point of an upgrade).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D_Fosse but I'll only be able to try this when I've got hours to spare, which is the time it will take to reinput all of my bespoke settings/keystrokes/keybindings/palettes/layouts/brushes/perfromance settings accross the program. 

If this does happen to be the case then Adobe, if offering the ability to migrate preferences from one version to another, should test that functiuonality before release. If it doesn't have a solid pass rate then wait until it does before release.

I'm not sure the file is corrupted otherwise I would be seeing problems in PS2019, but who knows. Will try it out when I manage to get a window of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in this case, I'm wondering if it would not be worth creating a new user account, that way you get new prefs and keep the old ones.

I've also seen a suggestion to drag the current preferences file to the desktop and let Ps create a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the classic rock and a hard place and people unhappy whatever they do. Preferences were previously not migrated precisely because of this. Which was causing an uproar every time. How hard can it be and all that.

One problem is that the same preferences might not mean the same thing in the new version. So I assume a lot of it has to be translated and rewritten in the process. A much bigger problem is that the preferences file is written to disk all over again on every application exit. That's how new preferences stick. And that makes it very vulnerable to corruption - unlike program files that are read-only. So what if that corruption doesn't explicitly manifest itself in the old version, but causes problems in the next?

The point is that there are many variables here that are extremely difficult to control.

And all that said, I'm not saying corrupt preferences is the cause of all problems. But it's a very logical place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is adobe working on a fix for this issue?  when I spoke to supoort they denied that it is a known issue and said it was just me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did anyone update to 21.0.2? Does it fix your issues?

Does anyone affected NOT use a graphic tablet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didnt't help--I think it's the tablet driver, but the most up to date driver doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, did you try to totally uninstall the tablet driver to rule it out, or to make sure it is the root of the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had to uninstall and reinstall, isn't an issue on my other computer where i have a different driver for different OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines