• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 Update Breaks File Associations in Windows 10

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Photoshop update (2020) broke all my file associations. It isn't a big deal in putting them all back again to point to Photoshop, but just something to be aware of.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wrote in another thread that this didn't seem to be such a big problem this time, compared to previous release cycles. But just today I've seen three or four.

It happens when the old version(s) are uninstalled after the new one is installed. This tends to take file associations with it, leaving them orphaned. Most of the time it can be easily re-established - but every once in a while it gets really stuck and it's necessary to edit the registry.

To be completely safe, versions should always be installed/uninstalled in version order - last in > first out. So when installing the new version you should uninstall the old first if you don't want them.

There's a help document here, with the registry edit:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/file-associations-broken-uninstall-applications.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, D_Fosse, good to know. But I (stupidly) let the Photoshop installer handle it when it asked me if I wanted to remove other versions. I assumed it would remove them in order. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me in Windows 10... 

PSD files were opening correctly in Photoshop 2019 and yet there is no way to associate the file with Photoshop 2020.  I have:

• Uninstalled 2019/2020 and reinstalled 2020
  • Attempted to 'open as...' but the file type is not listed.
  • Attempted to 'open as...' and navigate to Show More Apps/Program Files/Adobe/ blah blah blah...  The file does not open once I click on 2020/photoshop.exe
  • Edit Windows Default File Types, but PSD is not listed
  • Edited the regisrty as per the Adode help article, but PSD is still not associated.

None of this works.  Does anyone know why Windows 10 is refusing to recognise the 2020 PSD files type?  Everything is as it should be in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appear not to be able to delete my posts in this dreadful updated forum format, otherwise I'd delete my previous issue...

It now seems that PSD files have become associated.  Why there was a time delay, I guess I'll never know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“I appear not to be able to delete my posts in this dreadful updated forum format”

Moderators can no longer help you with this, as we cannot delete posts either when requested. You can comment on this in the Community Feedback forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Community-Feedback/bd-p/Community-Feedback

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you check this registry entry

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\edit\command

If the value is set to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Change it to

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

regedit.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't look in that section of the registry initially, however, the issue inexplicably resolved itself after a couple of restarts.  The \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ values are now showing the right navigation thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

U saved my day! 🙂

Thanks!

You don´t happen to know how tol solve the same problem wiht Indesign 2020?
It doesn´t seam to work with the same procedure. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines