• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 exe not recognized as file launcher...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Photoshop 2020, only native .PSD files can be set to open with the new Photoshop.exe.

JPG, TIF, and PNG files will not allow the new Photoshop 2020.exe as the default program launcher (it defaults to Windows Photo Viewer...Ugh!) ...I tried the register edit trick but the link failed to fix the issue. As it stands now, PSD files open with 2020 and the other formats open with 2019 CC... Anyone else having this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

".exe" - so you have a Windows-PC

Have you tried opening from a File Explorer window ?

1. [Right-Click] an xyz.JPG file,  (or PNG)

2. Select "Open with..."

3. Select "Choose another app" if Photoshop 2020 is not shown,

3b. Select "More Apps" - at the very bottom end of the list - if Photoshop 2020 is not shown here.

3c. Select "Look for more apps on this PC" - at the very bottom end of the list.

4. Search for Photoshop.exe in the Ps2020 install folder,  eg. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020

5. [Open]

I think you will find that Windows will now have registered Photoshop 2020 as the App for .JPG files.

Repeat procedure for other file types.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC,

Yes, that was the first thing I tried and every time I select the Photoshop 2020.exe, it defaults to Photoshop 2019 CC or Windows Photo Viewer.

The 2020.exe is there as a choice but won't take unless it's a .psd file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try here:

file-associations.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That menu isn't familiar... I'm running PC/Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, in Windows 7 it's in the Control Panel > Default apps > Associate a file type with a program. The list itself is pretty much the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got that to work for .TIF...(PS 2020 appeared as a choice) but for .jpg and .png, I had to browse for the PS 2020.exe, which didn't take... only shows PS 2019 CC.exe.

At least I got one buttoned down... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the official help document. There's a registry edit there if all else fails:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/file-associations-broken-uninstall-applications.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines