• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 strips XMP:RawFileName tag when saving

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a TIF or raw file (eg Canon CR2) that contains the Xmp:RawFileName tag is opened in Photoshop 2020 and then saved (as a jpg or tif), the RawFileName tag is removed.

Issue occurs both when opening the input file via Camera Raw or directly in PS using Open As (TIF only of course), so this doesn't appear to be an issue with Camera Raw not passing the tag to PS.

Tag is saved correctly in Photoshop 2019 versions. All other tags (including Xmp) appear to be saved correctly (consistently with PS 2019).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking out loud, a short-term workaround could be scripted... Although it is beyond my current scripting ability, it should be "easy enough" to copy the <crs:RawFileName> entry to the <xmpMM:PreservedFileName> entry (perhaps leveraging Photoshop Script Events Manager) and then the <xmpMM:PreservedFileName> back to the <crs:RawFileName> using Adobe Bridge (or possibly Photoshop if this did not trigger the bug).

Anyway, thanks for reporting the bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is currently much easier for me to do this via ExifTool than scripting...

To copy the RawFileName to PreservedFileName:

exiftool '-XMP-xmpMM:PreservedFileName<${XMP-crs:RawFileName}' -r 'path to file or top level folder'

To copy the PreservedFileName back to the missing RawFileName tag:

exiftool '-XMP-crs:RawFileName<${XMP-xmpMM:PreservedFileName}' -r 'path to file or top level folder'

These commands are formatted for the Mac, Windows OS would use straight double quote marks rather than single. This command recursively process all folders/files under the top level folder being processed. Backup copies named with _original are created for each file processed, so one could add another argument to -overwrite_original files. Always work on copies of original files until you are happy with the results. Unlike Adobe software, ExifTool can write to raw camera file originals, so one would need to process the .xmp sidecar file rather than the image file. I can go into more detail if there is interest in this workaround until a patch is released to fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am already using ExifTool for other things and so that would be the easiest tool in my opinion as well.

Actually this is how I found the missing tag, I was experimenting with ExifTool while also testing the new Photoshop 2020 release 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is actually in Camera Raw - probably the version introduced during the PS 2020 update.

Opening a raw (CR2) file via Camera Raw 11.4 (only older version I could test) and then looking at File -> File Info in Photoshop we can see that the RawFileName tag is present (looking at the Raw Data): 

<crs:RawFileName>xxx.CR2</crs:RawFileName>

Doing the same in Camera Raw 12.1 we will see that the RawFileName tag is missing in the File Info and when we save the file as jpg, for instance, the RawFileName will obviously be missing as well.

I'll try and report this issue in the appropriate ACR forum.. I doubt they did this on purpose.. well, I hope they didn't 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole Camera RAW namespace is being removed (xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/")

Older JPEGs have that qualifier in XMP, new ones don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't even remember the RawFileName was part of the crs family (yes, the crs in the File Info dialog should have been a hint for me 😉

Makes sense then. Thanks a lot for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines